Thread: Camo'd stocks

Basic Member

Camo'd stocks

Not sure this belongs in this forum....however...

Has anyone here tried to do the camo paint "thing" on a Savage stock? I have two Savage rifles with factory camo stocks and I think they look a lot better than the regular Savage synthetic (ok Tupperware) stock, so I'm wondering if anyone here has done this and have advice on how to go about it.

Are you talking about hydro-dipping (aka water film transfer printing) like on the camo Predator model stocks, or simply spray-bombing? Either will work just fine - you just need give the stock a good scrub down to make sure any/all mold release agent left from the manufacturing process is removed.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I am talking about spray-bombing the stocks with various colors to camo them. Are there any good sites out there explaining how to go about this?

Here you go,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKflPxomNSo

This is the slightly more professional way and a pretty good read.

http://www.shootingvoodoo.com/index....ing_made_easy/

Hope that helps.

Slimy

5. 07-03-2013, 08:38 AM
    Reason
    Blank Post

Basic Member
    [IMG][/IMG]

I think it made mine look much nicer then the plain black synthetic.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 07-03-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Basic Member

My design tool:

I took some leaves off a plant by my house glued them together between two pieces of scrap cardboard.

I practiced my pattern on a box a few times.

To prep the stock it was real clean to begin with so I just wiped it down with rubbing alcohol and let dry.

Using all Krylon ultra flat camo paint I did a base coat of tan. Then using the leaves I glued together I started at the buttstock and dust with short spray pulses in one direction with dark brown then green in crossing patterns from different angles. Once I went all the way to the front of the stock I went back and added in some flat black in the same manner.

Then once dries for about 20-30min I flipped it over and did the other side and hung to dry. Maybe an hour of work total. Besides drying time. Real easy and this is the first stock I've done. Wish I had another to do now since it work so easily.

I think the pattern will work well here in the California area.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 07-03-2013 at 11:48 AM.

stangfish
    Sponging is way cool as is buying or making your own GAP stensils. Picture threads would be cool for this eh?

Well don't have a pic thread but here is what you can do with a sea sponge. It's real easy. I use rustoleum camo paint from a big box store, 1 can of OD green and one can of Khaki, and a piece of sea sponge from a craft store or from the craft section at wally world. Spray the stock Khaki. Then put some green stripes about 4"-5" apart, after that spray some Khaki paint on a piece of slick paper like a magazine page and dip the sponge in it. blot the khaki over the green stripes, then do the same with the OD and blot it over the khaki stripes. Then I seal the whole thing up by spraying it with a can of Testors dull coat paint from a hobby shop or anywhere that sells plastic model supplies. A couple of things to keep in mind if you try this. Two colors are plenty sometimes less is more. dont get carried away with the sponge again less is more. Have fun. Most people cant tell it's a do it yourself paintjob.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Well don't have a pic thread but here is what you can do with a sea sponge. It's real easy. I use rustoleum camo paint from a big box store, 1 can of OD green and one can of Khaki, and a piece of sea sponge from a craft store or from the craft section at wally world. Spray the stock Khaki. Then put some green stripes about 4"-5" apart, after that spray some Khaki paint on a piece of slick paper like a magazine page and dip the sponge in it. blot the khaki over the green stripes, then do the same with the OD and blot it over the khaki stripes. Then I seal the whole thing up by spraying it with a can of Testors dull coat paint from a hobby shop or anywhere that sells plastic model supplies. A couple of things to keep in mind if you try this. Two colors are plenty sometimes less is more. dont get carried away with the sponge again less is more. Have fun. Most people cant tell it's a do it yourself paintjob.
    That looks awesome!!

Here is a couple with duracoat. The digital is duracoat tactical colors and rust oleum od green.

Basic Member
    You know how some TV programs say "Do not try this at home"? Well, I am definitely gonna try this at home! They look awesome.

Basic Member
    Snow getter,

What did you use for a stencil on the digital camo? How is it holding up?

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    Snow getter,

What did you use for a stencil on the digital camo? How is it holding up?
    Google is my friend.

http://blackjaxcamostencils.com/stor...products_id=60
    http://tacticalcamo.com/Paint-Stencils.html

Basic Member
    Thank you captain obvious, some stencils just work better than others....

I always use 3m blue painters tape. The cheap painters tape does not stick well. Just keep cutting squares big and small and cover each color as you go. The duracoat is easy to work with and maybe a little more durable than krylon. This durability is on a comparison of my two main duck and goose guns. One is krylon one is duracoat both are used hard and both have worn about the same over the years.

But, using tape, I always sand the surface, metal and plastic, prior to painting. If not the paint will peel up when removing tape. I never have used a commercial stencil.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    I always use 3m blue painters tape. The cheap painters tape does not stick well. Just keep cutting squares big and small and cover each color as you go. The duracoat is easy to work with and maybe a little more durable than krylon. This durability is on a comparison of my two main duck and goose guns. One is krylon one is duracoat both are used hard and both have worn about the same over the years.
    That makes me think that I'll just go to home depot and get the krylon. I was thinking about clear coating with the matte spray and lightly buffing with scotch BRITE after if it's still too shiney.

Just go ahead and get some of the Testors dull coat for your clear. It comes in a small spray can and will knock the shine off of any paint job as well as seal and protect your camo. I used it over a Krylon green satin paint on another project gun and boom no more shine. It's really good stuff and scuffing it is not necessary. I also like the rustoleum camo they do have it at the depot. no shine just flat camo colors.

They wont have the Testors dull coat at the depot though but I know for a fact how well it works.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 07-04-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I used the Lauer DuraCoat with the Bulldog templates. I used the digital template but they make many more styles. The hydrographics on the factory stock was so-so and didn't hold up well to handling. They should have applied a tougher coating over the graphics after application. I am pleased the way this turned out. Eventually I'll probably do the barreled action. To save your sanity and time, the $10 you spend on the vinyl templates is well worth it. I would also recommend using a coating that is able to withstand contact with gun cleaning solvents and not use enamel rattle can stuff from the hardware store like Krylon.
    Last edited by blfuller; 07-17-2013 at 11:15 AM.

stangfish
    Me likes the digitals in this post. I also like to sponge, GAP and even wide stripe with web.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blfuller View Post
    I used the Lauer DuraCoat with the Bulldog templates. I used the digital template but they make many more styles. The hydrographics on the factory stock was so-so and didn't hold up well to handling. They should have applied a tougher coating over the graphics after application. I am pleased the way this turned out. Eventually I'll probably do the barreled action. To save your sanity and time, the $10 you spend on the vinyl templates is well worth it. I would also recommend using a coating that is able to withstand contact with gun cleaning solvents and not use enamel rattle can stuff from the hardware store like Krylon.

which buttpod is that? do you like it?

stangfish
    Looks like an accu-shot monopod.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    which buttpod is that? do you like it?
    It is an Accu-Shot mono pod with the quick knob. I originally got the plastic version and it didn't lock-up as tight and had more slop in the thread. No slop on the quick knob. I like it.

The bipod is a Harris Engineering SLM series bipod with an original KMW Pod Loc and a Tank's Rifle Shop speed knob.
    Last edited by blfuller; 07-17-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Basic Member

Duracoat/Airbrush

I love the skull camo! Very good. Blfuller thanks for the tip on the stencils. I never used them because the only ones I saw were duracoats and they are to expensive. Bookmarking that page now.