Thread: Barnes Tipped TSX 30-06 150 gr hunting load.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nandy

Barnes Tipped TSX 30-06 150 gr hunting load.

Since I cant find the Nosler Silver Tip bullets anywhere I am going to try to work a load using the Barnes Tipped TSX 30-06 150 gr bullet as I found a local shop that has a few boxes of it. I only bought one box first to see how my rifle likes it. I am hopping that since the bullets are so similar my rifle will like it too.
    For the nosler I used:
    RL 19 60.2 gr
    Winchester Brass
    Winchester primer

I will start low for the TTSX but the seating and other stuff will remain the same. I wish I could develop a submoa cartridge but with the dwindling supplies I will probably stop once I get to 1" at 100 yds. This 30-06 will not be used on ranges exceeding 200 yards, it will actually fall in the 150 and closer ranges. I will be using the 7 rem mag for anything else and I have plenty of bullets for that one.

Anyway, any of you that shoots this bullet can tell me how it has performed in whitetail?
    If you are also using RL 19 what is your load?

I am not looking in to changing the powder and unless this bullet impress me out of my socks I am going back to nosler as soon as they are available. The TTSX is a little too expensive for killing deer...

Thanks!

flatshooter
    any bullet manufacture will perform on deer.

Anybody tells you different is either A full of crap or B don't load right with certain type of bullets properly.

To expound on B.... guys load BT's too hot at close range, BT's aren't designed for high velocity close range work, flat bse bullets are.. but your TTSX will hold up to any range but might not expand below 1800 fps.

I used them in my .270 last year.. worked fine. 300 yards the deer, "went down so fast I was unaware that I had hit them" as O'Connor said...vanished as usual but they do that with Hornadys, speer, rem's win's, nosler's, and sierras too.
    Last edited by flatshooter; 06-27-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Basic Member
    Oh, and by the way, an '06 that's getting 1" groups has enough accuracy AND power for any deer on the planet at any range you can see it. The only issue would be the terminal velocity for bullet opening.

Basic Member
    Might wanna take a look at Barnes load data online for the '06 and the 150gr TTSX. These bullets react with different pressure levels than lead core bullets do. Also note they recommend a STARTING COAL of at least .050" from the lands, and only going farther away from the lands for adjustments. I mention this cause you said your seating depth would be the same as the Nosler.

Nandy
    Thanks for the info guys. I pretty much got done developing for this bullet this past Saturday. I got a .8" shooting the same 60.4 load as with the nosler and got a .7 group shooting 61 grains. This is all RL-19 and bullets touching the lands. I had a change to shoot a consecutive 6 shot group of the 60.4 load and the group in over all printed a 1.3" but curiously shot 1,2 and 3 printed .6 and shot 4,5 and 6 shot a .68. Shots 4, 5 and 6 group is .5 inches lower than the shots 1, 2 and 3. If you look at them you will think they were not shot consecutive (I did get my head off the rifle to check the spotter scope after each shot, I was not using my camera).

The 60.4 gr load is pushing an average of 2991 and the standard deviation was 25.
    The 61 gr load is pushing an average of 3039 and the standard deviation was 10.

The most interesting part is, I shot the 60.4 6 shot group last, when it was hotter in the day and the average speed was 3065 with a standard deviation of 15. That got me by surprise when I check the numbers yesterday. These loads are double check with my RCBS scales, a digital 750 and a beam 5-0-2 so I am sure my grain is correct... I do also measure the temp on my barrel in 2 points before I shoot a group to try to shoot all the groups form a barrel that it is similarly hot. The only thing other than the temp is that the 60.4 load was the first load shot (after 4 fouling shots) on friday morning and group 5 was the first group (after 3 fouling shots) on saturday evening around 1 pm. Friday was a cooler day than saturday...

I know I said I would stop at around 1 inch groups but this bugs me a bit so I will prepare some loads to verify the 60.4 and 61 loads. After that verification I might move them back the .05 from the lands and see.

Lastly, I did find a old and forgotten 100 pack of 165 gr core lokt. I loaded some doing a .6 gr change instead of the .3 grain change I generally do. Im using Accurate 4350, cci200 primer and federal brass. The best group as the last load I shot which printed 1.05" pushing and average of 2942 fps with an SD of 7. I was very surprised and then not, I remember that core lokts factory ammunition shot great out of this barrel but stop using them because at that time the set up I had was very light and it was hurting like a B. I will have to verify that load and do a little testing as I do have over 4 pounds of 4350 and about 250 cci primers plus I reckon about 150 already prep federal cases. With the new setup I have and the limbsaver pad I can shoot them all day. Had I found this I would have probably not got the TTSX. Good thing, seems I will have 3 bullets to play with this season and probably 3 setups (7 rem mag, 30-06 and 22-250) to test how they perform on deer. Hope I have enough chances to go hunt...

Thanks!