Thread: Scope Selection

Bcollins111900

Scope Selection

I picked up a Savage 11VT from Dicks Sporting Goods the other week and love the rifle. I hate the scope that came with it and had every intent of replacing it from day one. I have narrowed my scope search to about 5 scopes. I will be shooting anywhere from 200-500 yards primarily at paper or steel targets. I may once in a while take out a groundhog or two. I keep getting caught up on variable power or fixed power, what size objective, and so on. Here is a list of what I am looking at. Any input would be great....

Vortex Viper 6.5x20x50 30mm Tube 1/4" MOA
    Burris Mtac 3.5x10 30mm Tube 1/10mil
    Millet 4x16x50 TRS-1 30mm Tube 1/4" MOA
    SWFA SS 16x42 30mm 1/4" MOA
    SWFA SS 16x42 30mm .10MRAD
    Last edited by Bcollins111900; 06-26-2013 at 11:36 PM.

stangfish
    Mr collins. You have a wide range of scopes. What is your price range? What kind of shooting? There may be better options in your price range.
    For hunting and 300 yards targets - the MTAC
    Target shooting - the SS Either way if you plane on ranging with your reticle the Mrad if not the MOA may be easier.
    For everything use out to 600 or possibly - further VV.
    The millet may be different magnification that what you posted. The glass is clear.

Bcollins111900
    Thanks for pointing out the millet wrong sizing I corrected it. 250-400ish is my price range. 500 yards would be the max I would be shooting at with 200 yards being what I shoot at 90% of the time. Rifle is a 308 of that helps.

stangfish
    Vortex and burris both have great warranties. The burris glass is awesome. But the are not in the same category with regards to the Vortex magnification. If you are interested in the burris you might as well get a Ziess for the same money. No bells and whistles but GLASS. The SS is bulletproof and fits the two ranges you mentioned.

In reallity good glass can make up for magnification. Some of the cheaper scopes look great at short yardage but when you run 'em up and out that all disapears. In high humidity and heat high magnification can put the killer mirage on you. That viper is a good example of a scope being on the edge of its optical ability.
    If you hunt I think variable magnification. If its for target only. The SS, But it is one dimensional. The millet is the best magnification range for all around work IMHO. cant attest to the scope.

Cant really make up your mind for you, just more to think about.

Basic Member
    nikon buckmaster would be another worth considering.
    id probably be looking on ebay for a nice 3.5x10 vx3 leupold with turrets also.
    or without turrets then send it out and have 1 or both installed.

Basic Member
    I have the Millett but in .1mrad. it's a good functional scope for the money. haven't had any problems with it and it tracks well. I would buy another!

Bcollins111900
    Devil how does the glass look when on a higher variable say 12 to 16 power? Does it get milky or foggy at all? I hate that you look at a scope in the store and you are not able to look at it outside where you will be using it. Also how far out are you shooting with you Millet?

I looked at Nikon Monarchs but hate the BDC with a passion, not to mention I have heard from multiple people stating Nikon's are not the best when it comes to being shock proof. Granted I don't abuse my firearms but why risk it when there is better choices out there ya know.