Thread: Vortex Viper PST FFP review

Basic Member

Vortex Viper PST FFP review

Having received my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50FFP, I mounted it up last night and hit the range at 0700 this AM. It's mounted on my Savage F/TR rifle in .223 with Burris Extreme Tactical rings and a Weaver 20moa base. Mounting was straight forward as with any scope, and one reason I chose this scope was because of it's generous 4" eye relief.

All I can say is WOW! I sighted in at 100yds, that took 6 shots to get a .25" group. On to the 500 meter mark.

I dialed up my normal 9 moa and gave it 1 moa left due to winds. My first shot broke a clay pigeon. Winds were far from consistent with speed and direction constantly changing. Since I knew my zero was good, I chose to take the 1 moa left out and just use hold off. I did get confused a couple of times, mistaking the 2 moa subtensions for 1 moa. I knew I was going to do that...DOH! I began watching what little mirage I had, but I really suck at that. But combined with the wind flags, I did fairly well. On one particular shot at a clay target I was watching mirage when it began to boil. I jumped on the trigger fast, holding center, and sent that target to it's maker. That felt good.

As far as the scope itself is concerned, I couldn't be happier (well, a little) The glass is crystal clear and the side focus works well. I was wrong about the crosshairs becoming too small at lower power. For those who don't know, FFP (first focal plane) scopes allow the crosshairs to grow and shrink with power changes, thus keeping the subtensions accurate at any power setting. I went down to 10x without issue on a 10" steel plate at 500 meters. The crosshairs are definitely thicker at full power than most scopes, a byproduct of the FFP. But unless you're shooting 1" spots at 500, it's not an issue. Yes they're larger, but not too large IMHO. The older generation, like me, will probably prefer these crosshairs to the fine ones.

Tracking was DEAD on. Very impressive. Remember, I'm shooting at a 10" steel plate at 500 yards, so that plate is exactly 2moa in diameter. In the subtensions, that's exactly what it reads. At the beginning of plate shooting, I was hitting low on the plate, about 4" down from center. I gave the scope 1moa up and hit about 2" high of center. That's a 6" spread for a 1 moa adjustment (5.25 inches @ 500) Darn close, and being off by .75" at 500 meters was more likely the shooter. I dropped the elevation back down 1/2 moa and was dead center (elevation wise, the wind was still playing games with me) My conclusion is that this scope is very accurate in both it's subtensions and adjustments. 1 moa means 1 moa, period.

If I could change anything it would be the 2 moa subtensions. The SFP (second focal plane) reticle has 1moa subtensions. F Class "x" rings are 2.5", 10 rings are 5", and 9 rings are 10". The 2 moa subtensions are kinda like having 1" click adjustments on your turrets, just not fine enough for target work. I'll get used to them, but for now I'm just holding off, knowing the dimensions of the target make that fairly simple.

Bottom line is that I'm very pleased with this scope. It rivals or exceeds anything in it's price class, and has Vortex's VIP warranty. Even if I drop my rifle and smash the scope, it's covered...for life. No date or proof of purchase necessary. You're covered, period. That's what I call a no B.S. warranty. And hey, they sent a free hat with the scope!
    Last edited by Texas Solo; 06-25-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

stangfish
    Great review. What made you chose an FFP over a SFP?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Great review. What made you chose an FFP over a SFP?
    Availability, that's it. There are a few SFP PST's out there, but I'm on a program where I buy Vortex products direct from Vortex, at a ridiculous discount (50% off MSRP) Zach at Vortex said it would be October, at best, before any SFP's were available. I wasn't going to spend twice the $$$ to get an SFP somewhere else, even if I found one. By upgrading to the FFP, I had my scope in less than 30 days, for less $$$.
    Last edited by Texas Solo; 06-25-2013 at 06:50 PM.

stangfish
    but I'm on a program where I buy Vortex products direct from Vortex, at a ridiculous discount (50% off MSRP)
    I bet you have lots of wanna be friends. Don't forget your Texas Buddies.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    I bet you have lots of wanna be friends. Don't forget your Texas Buddies.
    Ain't that the truth, LOL! I only paid $525 for the Viper PST FFP 6-20x50. I can buy up to 10 optics per year, and unlimited accessories.

Where in Texas you at?

stangfish
    PM coming

but I'm on a program where I buy Vortex products direct from Vortex, at a ridiculous discount (50% off MSRP).
    Do you need any Kansas buddies. I've looked through several, and love them. Waiting to buy a 4-16. The only thing I would change would be more elevation travel per rotation. Other than that, I love my viper, and can't wait to get the pst.

Great review!
    12 LRP .204, 200 .243 project rifle. (action), 116 SS action, 200 270