Thread: accuracy problem with Savage muzzleloader

Bob Bernhardy

accuracy problem with Savage muzzleloader

Hi Im new to this forum so I hope that I'm not being redundant. I have one of the earliest models of the Savage ML one of the ones with an extremely tight bore..... I have been shooting this rifle for years with extremely good accuracy cloverleaf groups at 100 yds were the norm. I shoot a 250 gr FTX bullet with an MMP black sabot and 41 grains of N110. I have changed nothing but my accuracy has deteriorated now the first shot is right on the second about 4" off the third about a foot off and the 4th completely misses the target board. I have changed the vent liner and the breech plug at Savages suggestion. No help, I even sent the rifle back to them and they sent it back with a target showing a 4-5 inch group. Id really like to figure this out anyone have any ideas out there thanks

Team Savage
    Sure your scope is not the problem? And are you letting the barrel cool completely before loading again? Warm barrel can cause the sabot to soften and the smokeless pressure with blow the sabot which can explain the accuracy issues. How long and where have the sabots been stored?
    Last edited by jpdown; 06-25-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Bob Bernhardy
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Sure your scope is not the problem? And are you letting the barrel cool completely before loading again? Warm barrel can cause the sabot to soften and the smokeless pressure with blow the sabot which can explain the accuracy issues. How long and where have the sabots been stored?
    I swapped the scope out thinking that was the problem, no help there. yes on letting bbl cool off and the sabots are 3 years old and have been stored in my reloading room under climate control. Im really stuck on this one thanks for your help

lwh723
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bernhardy View Post
    I swapped the scope out thinking that was the problem, no help there. yes on letting bbl cool off and the sabots are 3 years old and have been stored in my reloading room under climate control. Im really stuck on this one thanks for your help

Bob,

This time of year is really tough to shoot smokeless without getting the barrel warm. Not to mention, N110 is a pretty peppy powder, so you're going to be stressing your sabot even more. First shot on, and then starting to wander like you've described is very indicative of barrel heat. What was the temp? If it's 70F+, you're going to need to wait 15 minutes between shots and even then it might not be enough.

Although it does sound like you've stored them well, sabots do go bad.

Also, make sure there's no oil or grease on your bullets. I clean mine with 90% isopropyl alcohol from the pharmacy section at wally world. Cleans grease/oil off well, and then evaporates quickly.

But if I had to bet, I'd go with barrel heat.

Luke

Admin Edit: Link removed (rule violation)

Bob Bernhardy
    Quote Originally Posted by lwh723 View Post
    Bob,

This time of year is really tough to shoot smokeless without getting the barrel warm. Not to mention, N110 is a pretty peppy powder, so you're going to be stressing your sabot even more. First shot on, and then starting to wander like you've described is very indicative of barrel heat. What was the temp? If it's 70F+, you're going to need to wait 15 minutes between shots and even then it might not be enough.

Although it does sound like you've stored them well, sabots do go bad.

Also, make sure there's no oil or grease on your bullets. I clean mine with 90% isopropyl alcohol from the pharmacy section at wally world. Cleans grease/oil off well, and then evaporates quickly.

But if I had to bet, I'd go with barrel heat.

Luke
    www.smokelessmz.com
    Thanks Luke

Ill try some new sabots and Ill shoot one tomorrow and one the next day to try out the overheating theory, it just seems a little strange that it just started though, for years I had no problems

Bob

Have you cleaned the carbon build up out of the breech plug with a drill bit?

Bob Bernhardy
    thanks for your input but I put in a new breech plug

thanks
    Bob