Thread: Savage Mark II Sporter accuracy issues

Doodaddy

Savage Mark II Sporter accuracy issues

This will be relatively long winded so I apologize ahead of time. I won't include all of the pictures (way too many and not the point of this particular thread though I will link to them), but as most of us like to look instead of read, I'll post a few.

This rifle's sole purpose is for NRA Silhouette Smallbore competition. I bought a Savage Mark II G rifle and built from there. I ordered a more suited stock (Safari Rollover from Richard's Microfit), DIP bottom plate, EGW 20MOA Rail, Burris Signature Zee rings. I pillar bedded the rifle. I'm not 100% confident in that aspect as it's my first and only experience with both pillar bedding and seeing a stock that is pillar bedded. I worked the trigger to a crisp 2lbs (lowest I can go and stay within the rules)The scope is a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32 scope.

That being said, I'm not satisfied with the gun performance wise. I'm not new to Savage rimfires and have been pleased with the performance of all the others, but this one is letting me down. It's my first sporter barrel though.

I used exclusively Wolf Match Target and SK Std+ (500-600 shots) until last week where Lapua Center X and Eley Tenex were tested. It did not care for the Lapua (which is odd) or the Eley at all, averaging roughly 1" at 50yards. It shoots remotely better with the Wolf/SK. The barrel is entirely free floated and action screws were torqued to either 18lbs or 25lbs. I can't remember exactly, but it's in that range. The barrel was cleaned with Hoppes #9 prior to any shots and was cleaned 400ish shots later. I do plan on maybe trying some bore shine, but I've never needed it before.

Am I expecting too much out of the sporter series of the rimfires? Could this be a lemon issue concerning the barrel? The crown does not have any visible burrs to it. The gun did not shoot any better in the original stock prior to me installing it into the new stock.

So...........any suggestions?

Entire Album Here

trigger-finger
    Well it looks good. Would like to see shot grouping to see how it shoots. I just purchased my first rifle ever. Savage 11 trophey hunter in 308. I hit the bulls eye dead center several times at 100 yard and had several three shot groups all touching and only an inch from bullseye. I was using the cheapest ammo I could find and the only thing I added to the rifle ids a slip on limbsaver. It does have a sporter barrell, standard plastic stock and Nikon 3-9x40 scope. I would have to say it is very accurate. Hard to say what's going on with your setup. But my out of box accuracy way beyond my expectations.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Doodaddy
    Usually with Savage, my out of the box expectations are met, rimfire or centerfire. I'll see if I can get out to the indoor range and take some pictures of the targets. The groups are an erratic 1"ish group from the bench at 50 yards so there won't be any surprises when it's posted lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 Torch 2 using Tapatalk

JCalhoun
    The Richards stocks are notorious for being off center. The rifle may be trying to twist out of alignment when you tighten the action screws. Also, some folks have reported the action screw torque seems to affect the Mark II's accuracy. Does anyone watch you shoot it?

I shoot silhouette with an out of the box Savage Mark II BRJ and I never found the upper end ammo to shoot all that great. I shoot the Federal Auto Match in mine and it shoots about as good as any other ammo. It goes where I point the rifle and that's good and bad.

Doodaddy
    Yes, I've read mixed things about Richard's stocks. I had my complaints with the stock, but given woodworking isn't foreign to me, I was able to overcome the majority of my concerns.

This gun didn't shoot well in the original stock and no poorer in Richard's stock. If the stock is out of center, I don't think that is the culprit as the rifle was performing poorly prior to being in the aftermarket stock. I would hope pillar bedding it would help remedy any misalignment with the inletting as well.

Both my brother and father have watched me shoot it as well as shoot it themselves. Their experiences don't differ from mine sadly. 99% of my testing has been on a solid bench with a Caldwell Rock BR rest at 40, 60, 77, and 100 meters at my family's indoor range. So there was no wind affecting the shooting and there have been 3 different shooters testing so the usual variables have been addressed.

Unfortunately, I see myself sending it back to Savage and playing the waiting game.

trigger-finger
    Maybe it is just my eyes but the barrel doesn't look level in the stock. It looks lower in the stock at the barrel nut than it does at the end of the stock. Looks like it it's rising as it gets near the end of the stock. I know it is free floated but doesn't look level. Does that stock have a cute out for the lug and is it fully seated?

Doodaddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trigger-finger View Post
    Maybe it is just my eyes but the barrel doesn't look level in the stock. It looks lower in the stock at the barrel nut than it does at the end of the stock. Looks like it it's rising as it gets near the end of the stock. I know it is free floated but doesn't look level. Does that stock have a cute out for the lug and is it fully seated?
    Yes, it's entirely free floated and no, it's not entirely level. The stock does have a cut out for a recoil lug. (Visible partially in pic 3, and you can see my finger in it in pic 5&6) The sporter Mark II rifles do not have recoil lugs though. That kind of bothered me a bit to be honest.

trigger-finger
    I have actually heard rumors that puerile area getting better accuracy without the recoil lug and that's why it's nit on all Savage rifles.

JCalhoun
    Does a rimfire need a recoil lug?

22LR and 17HM2 don't generate enough recoil energy to warrant the recoil button (lug) used on the magnum rimfires.

As for the accuracy issues, I really don't consider 4 types of ammunition a good solid sampling to find what your barrel prefers. Most rimfire barrels tend to be extremely finicky when it comes to what ammunition it likes, and just because it's high dollar stuff doesn't mean your barrel is going to like it any better than the $1.49/box stuff.

Another thing to try would be to wedge a small folded piece of thick paper between the tip of the forearm and the barrel to apply a little upward pressure on the barrel. Some barrels shoot better free-floated, others shoot better with a pressure point - it's all a matter of tuning the harmonics and it wasn't all that long ago that most ALL sporter barreled rifles had a bump in the forearm of the barrel channel for this very purpose. Even my relatively new CZ 452 Lux 22LR even has one so it's not a totally lost theory yet.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Lager
    I just bought a Savage 22lr BV model to compete in 50 yard indoor BR competitions my local club holds once a month.
    I am new here, I am new to BR shooting but I have been competing in many different firearm competitions in one form or another for many years.
    Since I knew any quality 22lr firearm can and will be ammo sensitive, I bought some different ones.
    Here are my results,
    Eley Match ammo, cost me $14 a box. I bought 10 boxes cause thats what everyone seems to be shooting at my local club.1 inch @ best.Obviously my Savage does not like them.
    Remington Golden bullets, yeah I know. Bulk bullets are junk, surprisingly, they also shot a 1 inch 5 shot group.
    Wolf match target, 40 grain solid.This gun likes them.5/16 inch 5 shot and very consistent, target after target.
    Laupa Standard plus 40 grain. Same group as the Wolf. These bullets are identical in shape, brass and lube.I think someone is re branding?
    Hopefully this post will give you some confidence in what you have bought and whats possible in the savage Sporter rifle with some different ammo.
    Im thinking 5/16 inch is pretty good? But what do I know?

JCalhoun
    RWS, Lapua, and Wolf have the same headstamp. Not sure but I think SK also has that particular headstamp?

I'm under the impression that they're all RWS cartridges with the boxes saying made in Germany.