Thread: Bolt Won't Open

David13

Bolt Won't Open

I was at the range today, and consulted about a Savage with a bolt that wouldn't open.
    It was a just bought used rifle on the first shot. Which stuck the barrel closed.
    They consulted me as I was shooting my 11/111 Trophy Hunter and this was very close to the same gun, only in 22 something.
    Bolt exactly the same, but bolt did show some good wear on it.
    Two real experts were consulted and they couldn't figure it either.
    My final conclusion was perhaps the bolt was not coming up all the way when the level was pulled up, to align the tangs.
    I don't know if any of us banged or tapped it to get it up higher, we just jiggled and wiggled it and opened and closed it.
    His ammo was an odd looking box but it was marked umc.
    Any ideas?
    dc

thomae
    If the ammo were handloads in a factory box for a different rifle, they may have been too hot.
    More likely, if there were not enough primary extraction, the bolt would rotate up but would be difficult to pull rearward.

It could also possibly be a forward action screw that was slightly too long.

David13
    I guess I posted in the wrong section. This would be regarding a modern, but used Savage centerfire bolt action.
    dc

David13
    Well, I'm still stuck in the wrong forum here. I didn't realize this was vintage. Our issue was not vintage.
    It's a newer model Savage.
    They report that they got the thing open. They put some type of maybe WD40? And let it soak for an hour. Then banged it with a rubber mallet.
    They found rust. In the chamber area, I guess that was hanging up the bolt. And used a wire brush to get rid of it. They also theorize that there may have been some expansion of the cartridge that was also contributing to the problem. I'm sure they were using surplus ammo. But if I'm correct, the truth is the commercial ammo should have a higher pressure than surplus.
    At the time at least two other experienced shooters looked at the situation and couldn't offer any particular cause or solution.
    Thanks Thomae
    I have got to study up on 'primary extraction'.
    dc

pigslayer
    Well this sounds like a problem that I have with a 99. I don't shoot hot loads in it yet the lever can't seem to get the bolt moving to down and to the rear. If I push down on the back of the bolt sometimes it is enough to start the extraction process. I don't know what you mean by primary extraction or where the forward action screw is.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    If the ammo were handloads in a factory box for a different rifle, they may have been too hot.
    More likely, if there were not enough primary extraction, the bolt would rotate up but would be difficult to pull rearward.

It could also possibly be a forward action screw that was slightly too long.