Thread: Thumlers Tumbler question

cgeorgemo

Thumlers Tumbler question

What is your recipe when you are using a Tumbler for cleaning brass?

Basic Member
    I just use a dash of lemi shine and just enough water to get to the top of the media. It's probably a table spoonof lemishine. I have a shop built tumbler and run stainless media.

I use 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon Lemishine and 2 tablespoons on Dawn liquid dish soap. I fill the tumbler up to within an inch of the top of the tumbler.

I've done thousands on .233, .308, 9mm and .40 S&W and I'm amazed at how clean they come out.

So clean that I'm dealing with a small problem loading .40 on my Dillon Square Deal B. I resize my pistol brass on a single stage press with a small base competition die before it gets run through the SDB. Since I have been using stainless steel media to tumble, my pistol brass has a habit of hanging up on the mouth flaring powder die. Next batch I'll have to try dry lubricant on the case mouths to see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I just use corn cob or walnut and let it run overnight or for a day or so. I do cut up a dryer sheet and toss it in there too to keep the dust down.

Basic Member
    toss in brass, I guesstimate how much looks right and add water up to 1 1/2" from top. as per instructions, 1/4 teaspoon of lemi-shine and around 2 tablespoons of cheap dish soap (Ajax).

comes out perfect every time!

Team Savage
    Dry? Corn cobb works best. No additives. (no rouge) Nothing left on the clean brass. Ready to resize. Or, same treatment to remove the lube after resizing.
    Wet? SS media, a little dish soap and make sure you don't overload the drum with too much brass. Water lever close to the top.

cgeorgemo
    I think I need to increase the amount of water based on your recipes. I got a huge load of suds in mine without using much water.
    What method do you guys use to dry the SS media once you're done tumbling?

Basic Member
    I have some real fine stainless screen that I rinse mine off on and let dry.

I have switched to dishwasher soap so I don't have the suds.

I want one of the STM media separators but haven't ordered one.

Robbieg19
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
    I use 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon Lemishine and 2 tablespoons on Dawn liquid dish soap. I fill the tumbler up to within an inch of the top of the tumbler.

I've done thousands on .233, .308, 9mm and .40 S&W and I'm amazed at how clean they come out.

So clean that I'm dealing with a small problem loading .40 on my Dillon Square Deal B. I resize my pistol brass on a single stage press with a small base competition die before it gets run through the SDB. Since I have been using stainless steel media to tumble, my pistol brass has a habit of hanging up on the mouth flaring powder die. Next batch I'll have to try dry lubricant on the case mouths to see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too noticed a problem with brass sticking to the powder funnel after I switched to wet tumbling. I polished the powder funnel and that helped but to keep it from sticking at all I have a paper towel that I spray some hornady one shot on and wipe it on the powder funnel about every 50 rounds or so.

blt65
    I use about a teaspoon of lemishine and about five drops of Dawn and fill just till water covers the case. To seperate the media from the brass I use my old media seperator but I put a towel in the bottom. I rinse as I tumble and all the media drops out on the towel. I then leave the tumbler out in the AZ sun for a few hours and pull the towel out with all my SS media and dump in back in the tub. I use a strong magnet to pick up the stray media that might have fell out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbieg19 View Post
    I too noticed a problem with brass sticking to the powder funnel after I switched to wet tumbling. I polished the powder funnel and that helped but to keep it from sticking at all I have a paper towel that I spray some hornady one shot on and wipe it on the powder funnel about every 50 rounds or so.
    I have been rinsing the media and brass and putting lemishine rinse in with a full load of water and dump and dry and I have not had the powder sticking. I think the sticking is from left over greasy lubricants.