Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I received a box of 17WSM today...

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Downunderimfire View Post
    I have been following this with interest as it will most likely be months (if not a year or more) before we even get to see OR touch either the B-mag or ammo. I did a bit of googling and came up with a couple or random numbers that "may" help put the ammo shortage in another light. If Winchester "only" had 50,000,000 rounds available, that equals 1,000,000 boxes. If every Gun Shop ordered and was given an equal share of the stock they would get ~ 20 boxes. If every Dealer ordered ammo they would only get ~ 8 boxes. Given that some people have been able to buy 8 boxes of ammo (and I would guess that a LOT of people do not post on here, have also purchased ammo) my guess is that the supply has just run out (or very low). Just a thought :)
    When I spoke to a Winchester ammo technical service rep back near the end of May he told me ammo would be shipping the Tueday after Memorial Day which was May 28th. He told me they had orders for 13 million rounds. If that is all they produce this year that'll be 260 thousand boxes which would be 5200 boxes per state.

Now I am not sure how Savage in Mass serializes their rifles but I see they do begin with a letter where at the Canada rim fires do not.
    Assuming like the auto industry that they would not use I & O because they can be mistaken to 1 and 0, do they build a rifle and it is A00000001 and the next is A00000002 and it can be any model in general or do specific models have an assigned serial range?

Anywho, the B.Mag that was in my hands on June 4th was H978177 and the one that is in the box in my house is J029295. Does this mean from the 1st serial there has been 51118 B.Mags produced? I'll guess and say no, that there has been 51 thousand rifles produced. If there were that many B.Mags it would be 1022 per state & only 5 boxes of ammo per own gun. That is just in the USA. I would think with that many B.Mags they would ship worldwide. So I am sure it has to be rifles produced in Mass.

Still Downunder, with only 13 million rounds that HUGE number seemed small when you crunched your numbers.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Downunderimfire
    At 13 million rounds spread equally thats only about 4~5 boxes per Gunshop. Stuff all.

Basic Member
    At 13 million rounds spread equally thats only about 4~5 boxes per Gunshop. Stuff all.
    Considering I have been to gun shops even a month ago that had no idea what a 17WSM is or was and the same for a B.Mag even up to a WEEK ago. We know all shops will not receive these animals.

Downunderimfire
    Indeed you are correct, not everyone will order it in and some retailers will have much more stock than 4~5 boxes. The idea of averaging was to give a vague idea of how small an amount 260 thousand boxes actually is when spread out :) I have also talked to a localish big gun dealer (biggest in the country) and they also knew nothing of either the round or the firearm, I put that partly on the fact that none of those who I spoke to kept up with new developments as they were floor staff who prob never get to see a rep. :)
    Last edited by Downunderimfire; 07-05-2013 at 05:23 AM.

Basic Member
    Indeed you are correct, not everyone will order it in and some retailers will have much more stock than 4~5 boxes. The idea of averaging was to give a vague idea of how small an amount 260 thousand boxes actually is when spread out :) I have also talked to a localish big gun dealer (biggest in the country) and they also knew nothing of either the round or the firearm, I put that partly on the fact that none of those who I spoke to kept up with new developments as they were floor staff who prob never get to see a rep. :)
    I totally understood the averaging idea. I tend to do that myself. :-)

Basic Member

Ammo, check.
    Rifle, check.
    Scope mounted, check.
    Raining? Daggnabbit!
    I might have to bore sight it anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12