Thread: The $499 16/116 package deal from Gander ... need info.

Snakum

The $499 16/116 package deal from Gander ... need info.

I've been slobbering for a Savage or Marlin since the New Remington Quality Assurance bit me four times last year on new purchases. The Marlin is fast becoming known for accuracy, and of course Savage has always been a top dog in the accuracy dept. Though I've considered a Marlin XL and a Stevens 200 as a base to build on, I'd ideally like to have a stainless bolt gun in .270 or .308. And while I'd like to have a 16FCSS with Accustock, the Gander Mt. package is awfully tempting considering it's so much closer in price to the marlin and the Stevens. Here's what I think I know about it, any info appreciated with respect to these points or others:

1. They're the older style action (bolt release on right side) but otherwise identical to the old 110/111 and newer 116 actions. Should be just as accurate as anything else in the line.

2. The action being the same basic 10/110 action there are a tremendous number of 'bolt on/in' aftermarket parts available for it.

3. The stainless steel barrel will provide a small measure of durability over the carbon steel barrels of the 10/11 line without sacrificing accuracy a la chrome lined bores (usually not as accurate).

4. The Simmons scope needs to be thrown away asap for another Pentax (I have Pentax or Nikon on all my gear and love them).

5. The $499 price tag for a new 16/116 will be hard to beat.

6. The 16/116s in the package deals are just as accurate out of the box as the best 110s and 111s and newer 16/116s.

7. The 22" barrels for the .270 in the Savage line gives up nothing to the 24" barrels out there. All the work is done already for the .270 by the time it hits the 20" mark anyway and there will be a slight improvement in stiffness/accuracy with the 22" Savage profile over a 24" sporter barrel.

I am building a brush/scout gun in .270 on a Remington 7600 with a low power Nikon (2x-7x) and a 20" barrel. So I think a .270 bolt gun with 22" or 24" barrel and and a higher power scope to 16x will be a perfect complement. One for the brush and stalking, another for the beanfield and 'fun shooting'.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Better deals?

Uncle Jack

Re: The $499 16/116 package deal from Gander ... need info.

If these rifles are the older style with staggered feed, you will find many more options for aftermarket stocks.

uj

Basic Member

I just got my model 16 yesterday at Gander Mountain. It was $650.00.I will let you know how it shoots. :) :) :) :)

can you post a link to these packages you are refering to? i can't seem to find what you are talking about

Snakum

They're not available on the GanderPrice site. Haven't seen them anywhere, in fact. It is basically the older accutrigger, but non-accustocked model 16s and 116s, with a matte black Simmons scope for $499 (all calibers). The package you'll see on the website are with the matte silver scopes for a bit more money.

I generally don't buy from Gander because their prices are up to 25% higher than local shops. Example ... I bought a Rem 7600 synthetic for $519 while Gander wanted $595 or something. Everything I've priced there has been pretty high unless they were offloading old models. So I was surprised at the $499 package deals.

Team Savage

Most of the prices I've found on Savage model 116 package rifles are above $600. So I think $499.00 is a good deal. You seem to have done your homework on Pros and Cons. The LA gives you lots of barrel swap options without changing bolt heads or magazine. I find there are more aftermarket barrels readily available in SS than chrome moly. Nothing wrong with the Accutrigger IMO. The tupperware stock is junk IMO. Same for the package rifle scope. Sell them on line as new takeoff's and use the money to start your build. Another option would be to check the prices offered by Northland SS in the classifieds for an unbarreled action and build what you want from scratch. Have fun!

Snakum

I really wanted an Accustock'd bolt action for my next rifle, but was considering going with the regular model since I couldn't find one anywhere in stock. But I finally decided to just go with a Marlin XS7 for my .308 gun. The quality and accuracy for the price on the things make it a pretty good deal, and it's pretty darned light, too. On top of that, being able to use Savage barrels made it too tempting.

So my Accustock'd gun can now be something in 300 wm or 7mm rm. I've been asking local dealers about the new 111 Long Range Hunters but no one knows when they'll actually hit the distributors. If the funds work out I should be able to pick one up if they hit the shelves sometime in march. I had a Winchester Black Shadow in 300 Win Mag but got tired of being pounded. I've read the Savage muzzle brake - such as the one on the 111LRH is actually quite affective and may make a 300WM more manageable.

Thanks for the info.