Thread: For my 10x Unertl scope:

Salvo

For my 10x Unertl scope:

I picked up an Unertl scope recently that has oculars for 10x and 12x. - A nice scope but I have no gun for it.

After some deliberation, I have decided to look for a Savage target model in .22lr for the scope, and would appreciate suggestions.

Also: Where would I look to find target blocks? I have a drill press, so drilling and tapping a heavy barrel would be no problem.

I have gotten great service from my .17HMR caliber model 93R17 BTVS, and so I am am leaning toward the .22 version of the same gun, the MARK II BTVS.

Are there other Savage rimfire models that might be more appropriate with the Unertl scope? - It is a 1" target model with no spring.

Prefer a wood stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
    I picked up an Unertl scope recently that has oculars for 10x and 12x. - A nice scope but I have no gun for it.

After some deliberation, I have decided to look for a Savage target model in .22lr for the scope, and would appreciate suggestions.

Also: Where would I look to find target blocks? I have a drill press, so drilling and tapping a heavy barrel would be no problem.

I have gotten great service from my .17HMR caliber model 93R17 BTVS, and so I am am leaning toward the .22 version of the same gun, the MARK II BTVS.

Are there other Savage rimfire models that might be more appropriate with the Unertl scope? - It is a 1" target model with no spring.

Prefer a wood stock.
    I'm not familiar with your model; however my Dad had one- the model mounted on what I'll call "pins". Holy smokes that thing was accurate, repeatable AND a real conversation piece at the range!

He had his mounted on a heavy barrel 6mm Rem. His major hobby was reloading and shooting groundhogs at long distances. Long for that time period- late 60s early 70s. 300-400 yards. I believe that as long as your Unertl is in good shape it will withstand at least up to .243, probably above that. I'm no expert though.

Hey- could you post a picture of it please? I havent seen one since Dad and I got split up about 1971. Thanks!

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Salvo
    Here it is, next to a familiar object for size comparison.

(Click Image to see it larger )

The pill bottle contains an extra eyepiece for 13x.

My son commented that it would actually be cheaper and easier to reload .222 Rem or .223 Rem than to buy premium-quality .22lr target rounds.
    Last edited by Salvo; 09-15-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Basic Member
    A friend of mine had a Mod 70 Win in .308 with one of those on it but his had the recoil spring with it. I think his was a bit larger in diameter, but it has been more than 25 yrs since I saw it. They were great scopes.

Irish

Basic Member
    Here it is, next to a familiar object for size comparison.

(Click Image to see it larger )

The pill bottle contains an extra eyepiece for 13x.

My son commented that it would actually be cheaper and easier to reload .222 Rem or .223 Rem than to buy premium-quality .22lr target rounds.
    that model would have originaly had a recoil spring. no doubt someone removed it for some reason.
    without the spring the scope will move foward due to recoil after a shot. you will need to remind yourself to manualy
    pull the scope back after the shot. some hunters left the spring loose feeling recoil would damage the scope if tightened.
    your scope would have been a model primarily used by smallbore target shooters. the 2" models were the ones used by
    hunters using heavy recoiling rifles. my son still uses one of our old 15x 2" ultra varmit unertles on a classic 40x rebarreled
    to 6.5x06. but thats a different animal than the one you have. unertle scopes today bring high dollars on ebay. you might also
    find a recoil spring and scope bases there. your scope would take target type bases whereas my sons uses posa bases which will
    handle more recoil. my advise would be to list the scope on ebay and move foward with a newer scope. if your dead set on using it
    i could probably find a couple scope blocks laying around. i would rule out using a savage with that vintage scope. the ultimate
    choice would be a light barreled 52 winchester. a rem 513t would also make for an accurate and classic rig.

Salvo
    I have thought about finding a spring for it, and probably will if I go for some centerfire caliber. The bracket is there - but no spring.

Good looking 52 Winchesters are out of my price range, and to be honest I have not had good luck with older guns. - Most that I have bought had problems with accuracy due to worn or abused barrels, funky triggers, etc..

One effect of owning a bore-scope is that I have become finicky about used firearms. I'll take home a real beauty and the barrel will look like a sewer-pipe, inside.

I guess I could save up for a new rimfire Winchester 1885, but I know that for maybe one-third the bucks I could be having an awful lot of fun with a Savage Mk II.

A more classic-looking stock would go a long way with the Mk II... They are missing out by not having a gloss blued version with a classic walnut stock like they do with the centerfire Savages. - The design certainly deserves that treatment.

I appreciate the offer about the scope blocks, but I have found a couple of suppliers for those, and they are inexpensive. - I haven't found a spring yet though, will keep looking and will also check machine tool/industrial suppliers for an appropriate spring.
    Last edited by Salvo; 09-16-2013 at 07:14 PM.

I guess I could save up for a new rimfire Winchester 1885, but I know that for maybe one-third the bucks I could be having an awful lot of fun with a Savage Mk II.

A more classic-looking stock would go a long way with the Mk II... They are missing out by not having a gloss blued version with a classic walnut stock like they do with the centerfire Savages. - The design certainly deserves that treatment.

Hey Salvo- Thanks for posting the pic! Nostalgic for me as again my old man had one...

As far as the MKII- THEY DO! I have a gloss blued (its my avatar-I'll try to post a better shot of it..) mine has the walnut thumbhole stock, but they do indeed have a more classic glossy walnut stock for it. Older models but they are out there, I got mine used in excellent condition- it is a tack driver at 50 yards.

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    Not sure which model it was, but in the early 60's Carlos Hathcock, used one on a 50 Cal Browning Machine Gun. He could fire it as a single shot cause they cycled so slowly. I remember his was NOT spring mounted cause he had to reset it after each shot. He would switch that scope between the 50 BMG and his Winchester model 70, in 30-06 he used as his first field carry sniper rifle.