Thread: Not the right way to adjust a trigger

Not the right way to adjust a trigger

I just read another post where someone was recommending reducing the tension on the trigger return spring ( the wire on the side of the trigger when you take the stock off) by adjusting it using the screw. This is a bad idea and I have a problem each time I see this bad advice repeated. Here's why. If you dont keep the arch in it then BOOM! Flat trigger return springs are downright dangerous.

Just my .02 from my experience, I know a lot of people adjust their triggers in this manner but I have had safety issues with this adjustment. If the wire (spring) is too flat then it may not reset the trigger fully and can lead to iffy trigger/ sear engagement. this can cause the rifle to either not cock properly which is no more than a pain in the neck, OR the rifle may discharge when the bolt is closed or when the safety is moved from the safe position to the fire position. This is downright dangerous. It is far preferable to replace this spring (wire) by making one with a piece of music wire, piano wire, spring steel wire whatever you want to call it that is at or a little above .043 diameter and keep a nice arch in it.. KEEPING THE ARCH IN IT IS CRITICAL to the correct operation of these parts and avoiding a possible dangerous situation.
    To those who have made the adjustment by taking tension off with the screw, I strongly suggest that you re check your rifle and make sure that you have plenty of arch in the trigger return spring. Just because everything has seemed fine and you haven't had a negligent discharge yet, doesn't mean you wont. The internet is full of BAD info and I cringe every time I see someone recommending to take some of the arch out of the trigger return spring. Replacement with a suitable spring is a much better option.
    Stay safe.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

stangfish
    good post BHJ