Thread: Just bought a new 10FXP3 in .308 - having light primer strike issue though

taiguy

Just bought a new 10FXP3 in .308 - having light primer strike issue though

I just bought a new 10FXP3 (scope package) rifle chambered in .308 last week. Excited for my first .308 (and first Savage), I took it to the range over the weekend. I was pretty dishearted after hearing the trigger click with no boom - and this happened two rounds in a row.

Taking a look at the primer dimple, it looks like it's a light strike. This completely shuts out using surplus 7.62 ammo for plinking and 1 out of 3 commercial rounds wouldn't fire either. Pretty frustrating...

Aside from just contacting Savage and seeing what they have to say, thoughts on the problem here and how to fix it?

stangfish
    Gunk in the ice machine. Spray that bad boy down with some kroil, relube it and check protrusion for your own edification.

taiguy
    Sorry, trying to interpret that.

When you say spray it down, are you referring to the inside of the bolt? Disassembling it first, or just spraying around the crevices and hoping it works in?

stangfish
    A good penetrating oil would help either way. Stiff/dry lubrication may not be the problem but a clean well/properly lubricated bolt is not a bad thing and could be the culprit. There are some other things to look at but keeping things simple, firing pin assembly lubrication is not a bad place to start.

stangfish
    LOL sorry. If you have ever seen an ice machine that sludges up with mildew you would understand.

taiguy
    Actually I tried using penetrating oil at the range. 1-2 drops in the firing pin hole, 1-2 drops on the back where the cocking button rotates, and then cycled the action manually 10 times.

Just got off the phone with savage and they're telling me to mail it in and I'll be without a rifle for at least a month. /sigh