Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This rifle will arrive tomorrow

Hoghunter53

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Ive been doing some more research on your scope (as Im sure you already have) Looks interesting. Let us know how everything does for you.
    Yes I did. The III is a much more advanced and better than the original. I will give a report back! I was going to post the rifle pics. with the scope but can't figure out how??

demolitionman
    I watched a 338 Lapua eat a Vortex Viper PST for lunch during my last range visit. Those things hammer optics hard.

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat72 View Post
    I've shot thousands of rounds at 1K with a 14x Leupold. I've also shot in the mid 190s with a 12x in 1000yd F-Class matches. Go clear over power every time. I love the 338 Lapua. Don't mess with Berger bullets. I shoot them in every thing else, but I know several people that have not been able to get them to shoot. The lapua was set up to shoot 250s, but Hornady 285s look good.
    Really? Are you talking about just with the savage rifle or any 338 lm? Because the Berger 300 OTM is the go to bullet for the majority of 338lm shooters, but most are running custom guns and something slower than a 9 twist barrel. You may be thinking about their old vld's - the noses would slump over at anything over about 2800fps and was a source of frustration. They were also very sensitive to seating depth.
    On my savage 338 i couldn't get any bullet to shoot better than about 2moa, so i sold it and decided to do it right with a full custom build on a TAC338 action.
    Last edited by bodywerks; 06-19-2013 at 10:15 AM.

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter53 View Post
    I have seen threads on the difference between Mcmillan and HS stocks.....It seems other than the Mc is more expensive and some really like it and others really like HS...HS is still a **** good stock..Right??
    It is a good stock, in terms of how it's built (carbon fiber and kevlar), but it's ergonomically cumbersome. My biggest complaint is the huge palm swell (i have average size hands). If you have large hands it might suit you better. The aluminum bedding block is nice but skim bedding it wouldn't hurt.
    To do it all again I'd have gone manners mini chassis or McMillan, but i made do with what was available at the time. I bedded it, added a cheek piece and adjustable butt and it feels much better.

Last edited by bodywerks; 06-19-2013 at 10:05 AM.

bodywerks
    Yes I did. The III is a much more advanced and better than the original. I will give a report back! I was going to post the rifle pics. with the scope but can't figure out how??
    Easiest way is to upload them to photobucket and then copy the image link and paste here.

mrrabk
    Very nice rifle! Hope it's as good as my 10 HS .308. With a 4-16 I've got on an EGW, it's been great so far up to 300 yards. (as far as I've run it to date) Last week got it out to the 300 yard line with some home rolled 168 Noslers and the wife spotting and punched two overlapping...then I got dumb and tried to adjust for the left to right crossing wind and landed the next one 1" left. Should have kept my hold and seen if I could have put the third on the first two. I was having to much fun with finally getting the "home rolled" batch to the liking of this rifle. Final measurement of the three was 1.027". It shoots better than me! The HS stock fits me just fine and I like the larger palm swell with my big hands. Found mine likes 60 inch lbs on the screws. The 4-16 works just fine and it is clear and crisp.
    Have fun with that thing, they are a well built accurate rifle! Just glad your feeding that animal instead of me! LOL

If you shooting at 850 -100 yds,why not spend your money on a sightron 8-32 or a 10-50 which is right on the price range of the laser scope.Do not buy the mildot reticle,the dots are too big in my opinion.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Hoghunter53
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrabk View Post
    Very nice rifle! Hope it's as good as my 10 HS .308. With a 4-16 I've got on an EGW, it's been great so far up to 300 yards. (as far as I've run it to date) Last week got it out to the 300 yard line with some home rolled 168 Noslers and the wife spotting and punched two overlapping...then I got dumb and tried to adjust for the left to right crossing wind and landed the next one 1" left. Should have kept my hold and seen if I could have put the third on the first two. I was having to much fun with finally getting the "home rolled" batch to the liking of this rifle. Final measurement of the three was 1.027". It shoots better than me! The HS stock fits me just fine and I like the larger palm swell with my big hands. Found mine likes 60 inch lbs on the screws. The 4-16 works just fine and it is clear and crisp.
    Have fun with that thing, they are a well built accurate rifle! Just glad your feeding that animal instead of me! LOL
    Hahaha! !! Thanks man. I'm shooting factory loads right now. "Reminder" get reload equipment soon! Lmao

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bodywerks
    Hahaha! !! Thanks man. I'm shooting factory loads right now. "Reminder" get reload equipment soon! Lmao

Your first hundred rounds of factory ammo will have paid for reloading equipment. No way on earth I'd be paying $5-6/round to shoot my 338...

Hoghunter53
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
    Your first hundred rounds of factory ammo will have paid for reloading equipment. No way on earth I'd be paying $5-6/round to shoot my 338...
    You are right. Fact is though reloading is all new to me. I did have some family help as gifts on my first 120 rounds. I guess I'll have to start a help me decide thread on reload. I am looking at the Hornady progressive lock n load but just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

stangfish
    Just a though but you may want to consider a single stage press designed for large magnum cartridges. If you are throwing led that is one thing but if you buy a rifle for accuracy, case prep and attention to details comes one at a time.

Hoghunter53
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Just a though but you may want to consider a single stage press designed for large magnum cartridges. If you are throwing led that is one thing but if you buy a rifle for accuracy, case prep and attention to details comes one at a time.
    Duly noted. I shoot 30-06,.308,45-70,.454 casull, .5.56 as well so that would work well for them too?

bodywerks
    Yes. But i use a turret press even floor precision stuff, but i don't have the turret activated. I deprime/ resize all my brass, then tumble, then prime with a hand primer, then throw one charge at a time through my chargemaster 1500, pour it into the cartridge, then seat the bullet with a seating die. There probably is a small loss of precision using a turret press, but its convenient. You can have all your necessary dies for a particular round on one turret plate and another set of dies for a different round on another and quick change as needed.

Basic Member
    Really? Are you talking about just with the savage rifle or any 338 lm? Because the Berger 300 OTM is the go to bullet for the majority of 338lm shooters, but most are running custom guns and something slower than a 9 twist barrel. You may be thinking about their old vld's - the noses would slump over at anything over about 2800fps and was a source of frustration. They were also very sensitive to seating depth.
    On my savage 338 i couldn't get any bullet to shoot better than about 2moa, so i sold it and decided to do it right with a full custom build on a TAC338 action.

Yep. watched a guy with a BAT rifle play hell at 1K weekend before last and a different guy with a Barrett shooting 15" groups @ 500 three days later. A gunsmith buddy in Colorado has had similar results with his guns. I don't know what lot they were all using. I've heard it enough that I would not run out and buy 3000. I have shipped 1000 or so 285s to Colorado.

bodywerks
    That's a good start. Those beam scales are just as accurate as digital. Just take longer.

Hoghunter53
    That's a good start. Those beam scales are just as accurate as digital. Just take longer.
    I won't be mass producing so that will work out fine for me. Anybody have a reason for preference of one over the other?? I have heard good stuff about both. I shoot a lot of Hornady for some reason in my rifles. Just seems to be good enough quality for a reasonable price.

bodywerks
    Preference of what?

Hoghunter53
    Preference of what?
    Hornady or RCBS.....

bodywerks
    Both make decent reloading equipment. Fear not.

Hoghunter53
    Both make decent reloading equipment. Fear not.
    Thanks. I will be a reloader soon.

Hoghunter53
    So I got my Burris Eliminator scope and the **** electronics didn't work...live and learn I guess. Sooooooo my LGS was a bit miffed so I got really lucky and he gave me what I think is a great deal. I got a Leupold Mark 4- 6.5-20x50 ER/T Mil-Dot....He mounted it with Badger Ordanance Rings put a 4' Leupold sunshade on it....did the mounting, leveling and boresighted it for me and i gave him another 100 bucks. Now my question is..does anyone have some advice on a DVR or book or class that would help me signifigantly with reading and understanding the Mil-Dot reticle and how to use it?? Sorry for bloviating..Thanks

Man, now you are talking! Although, the eliminator would have made it easier to "point and shoot" but heck, the best things are earned and learning new tricks is what it's about?

A mate of mine has that rifle, I spied it in a Gun Store and let him know.. I had to turn around and pick it up, then personally deliver it to him! Luckily I was headed his way so had a flight booked.

Nice rifle, big palm swell but I was surprised at how light the rifle was for a big rig.

Needless to say it shot really well, here is a Video of him taking a "Spiker" with it, he forgot the distance but it's a decent shot any how.

*Deleted Video link*

Shows the Deer being Gutted so probably not postable... but his YouTube name is Doc Watson and the video heading is "Savage 338LM Across a Valley".

Might be worth asking for his load data, I'll try and get some off him and post it.

Slimy
    Last edited by SlimySquirrel; 07-04-2013 at 01:20 AM.

bodywerks
    Everything you ever needed to know. Long story short, its easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5AG...e_gdata_player

Woah, Now I actually understand how they work!

I was a little like "What the Heck?" when he started but it made sense slowly! Gotta say though that I always have a Rangey on me... My brain will need time to soak this up....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast