Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This rifle will arrive tomorrow

Hoghunter53

This rifle will arrive tomorrow

Just thought I would ask the guys who have most likely owned one of these if there is anything I should know about this rifle?? Maybe any little strange quirks? Or if you all think it needs something more than what it comes with..Thanks Guys, my first REAL Long range rifle...

Savage Model 110 FCP HS Precision Rifle 338 Lapua Mag, 26 in Fluted Barrel, Bolt Action, Mt Black Finish, Accutrigger, 5 Rd

With this scope
    http://www.eliminatorlaserscope.com/...atorIII_09.jpg
    Last edited by Hoghunter53; 06-16-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Westcliffe01
    So its a 4-16 scope ? Unless you have super eyesight, you would probably benefit from more magnification. If you are going to shoot big critters like moose, elk and bear you might be alright...

Basic Member
    if the gun shoots as well as the 308 version its a winner.
    im not at all familiar with the scope. im curious as to wether you are
    or at least wether its been reccomended by someone experienced you know and trust.
    the whole package is as good as the scope.

Basic Member
    I've shot thousands of rounds at 1K with a 14x Leupold. I've also shot in the mid 190s with a 12x in 1000yd F-Class matches. Go clear over power every time. I love the 338 Lapua. Don't mess with Berger bullets. I shoot them in every thing else, but I know several people that have not been able to get them to shoot. The lapua was set up to shoot 250s, but Hornady 285s look good.

Westcliffe01
    You probably have better than average eyesight. Wear glasses ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    You probably have better than average eyesight. Wear glasses ?

Yes. Started wearing them in 6th grade and I'll be 40 in September.

Hoghunter53
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    if the gun shoots as well as the 308 version its a winner.
    im not at all familiar with the scope. im curious as to wether you are
    or at least wether its been reccomended by someone experienced you know and trust.
    the whole package is as good as the scope.
    Well, I did quite a bit of research before deciding on the scope. I actually was going to go to a 20x but since i am a somewhat novice I knew I would have to have a good Rangefinder for distances which I am not naturally very able at figuring. The 16x will be good enough as I do still have pretty good long distance vision..it's the close stuff I have issues with and has they still been in the old style before the III I believe I would have gone Nightforce. Just seems this one had everything I need in one package and is finally very lightweight for all it has. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...LOL!!!!

Hoghunter53
    Very good then Alleycat..that does give me some feeling of relief. I am sure I will be able. The rifle is not going to see TONS of use but it will be at the range we have here that has 850 yard shots and I am going out West with friends on several trips over the next few years and really hope my cousin in Alaska will hold to his Invitation.

Basic Member
    I use a Vortex FFP on my 6.5 Tac gun. I like it as much as my Nightforce. The leica 1600 will be my next rangefinder.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411...-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/162...inder-7x-black

Hoghunter53
    I have seen threads on the difference between Mcmillan and HS stocks.....It seems other than the Mc is more expensive and some really like it and others really like HS...HS is still a **** good stock..Right??

Deerhunter 28
    Might want to change scopes?
    Rifle is perfect!!!!

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

Hoghunter53
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter 28 View Post
    Might want to change scopes?
    Rifle is perfect!!!!

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out
    Do you know something bad about it?? Not being snotty either, serious question. I am really stressing over the scope thing.

stangfish
    Just sold this for a friend. You would have liked it.
    http://forum.snipershide.com/optics-...ml#post2554716

Basic Member
    as for power that is a personal thing that varys among shooters. i personaly think 12x is enough power
    for any distance. my own sons dont agree with me. as for the scope brand, why dont you take a pole here and see how many agree with your choice. id not be in a hurry to buy that scope.

Deerhunter 28
    Nightforce
    Leopold
    Then the rest

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

Basic Member
    For the Eliminator, can the drop calcs be programmed into the scope vs just using a few canned versions? If not then you should consider the various conditions (bullet weight, velocity, altitude, temp, distance, etc) and run them through a ballistic calculator to determine how much the needed adjustments will vary in order to judge how well the scope's programming capability will meet your real world needs. Personally I would not select this or the pre-made turrets, and simply stick with a scope with reproducible external turrets.

Hoghunter53
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC View Post
    For the Eliminator, can the drop calcs be programmed into the scope vs just using a few canned versions? If not then you should consider the various conditions (bullet weight, velocity, altitude, temp, distance, etc) and run them through a ballistic calculator to determine how much the needed adjustments will vary in order to judge how well the scope's programming capability will meet your real world needs. Personally I would not select this or the pre-made turrets, and simply stick with a scope with reproducible external turrets.
    All of those factors can be programmed for multiple bullets

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter 28 View Post
    Nightforce
    Leopold
    Then the rest
    Hey!?...That list changed. What about Steiner or Swarro.

i personaly think 12x is enough power
    for any distance.
    If the glass is good enough there is no doubt. I can tell you that if you are in sniper training you will probably never see anything over a 10x (Leupold M3) with the 308 and 300 wm USGI remington(M24) plarform. That comes from a instructor.
    Last edited by stangfish; 06-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter53 View Post
    Just thought I would ask the guys who have most likely owned one of these if there is anything I should know about this rifle?? Maybe any little strange quirks? Or if you all think it needs something more than what it comes with..Thanks Guys, my first REAL Long range rifle...

Savage Model 110 FCP HS Precision Rifle 338 Lapua Mag, 26 in Fluted Barrel, Bolt Action, Mt Black Finish, Accutrigger, 5 Rd

With this scope
    http://www.eliminatorlaserscope.com/...atorIII_09.jpg
    I'm green with envy.
    A few months back, the Savage Rep was at out local range and had one of those set up in 300 Win Mag. What an incredible rifle. The trigger was like squeezing a warm bar of butter. Just silky smooth. Even with the Leupold 3-9x scope, it was still pretty easy to hit the mark at 100yds.
    Good luck with the new toy!
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Deerhunter 28
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Hey!?...That list changed. What about Steiner or Swarro.

No

If the glass is good enough there is no doubt. I can tell you that if you are in sniper training you will probably never see anything over a 10x (Leupold M3) with the 308 and 300 wm USGI remington(M24) plarform. That comes from a instructor.

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

308law
    If you decide to go with that scope we would love to hear a review on it, since nobody here seems to be familiar with them, good luck on your purchase.

Hoghunter53
    Quote Originally Posted by 308law View Post
    If you decide to go with that scope we would love to hear a review on it, since nobody here seems to be familiar with them, good luck on your purchase.
    Will do.......I hope to shoot it before the end of the month...Work permitting

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter53 View Post
    I have seen threads on the difference between Mcmillan and HS stocks.....It seems other than the Mc is more expensive and some really like it and others really like HS...HS is still a **** good stock..Right??
    yes...the HS is extremely stout. the aluminum bedding block is well form,d.
    congrates on the rifle!
    as far as the scope.............dont knock it---till you try it....
    if anything,,, I think your gonna spend more time and effort working up an accurate and consistant load for that beast......man it looks SWEET!

Hoghunter53
    Thanks everyone....I bought the Burris and picked up the rifle today. I will get some pictures up with scope mounted and give a range report soon...Thanks for all the great opinions and compliments!!

Ive been doing some more research on your scope (as Im sure you already have) Looks interesting. Let us know how everything does for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast