Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my 10FP back, with a 5 R barrel

masterblaster

Finally got my 10FP back, with a 5 R barrel

Took it to the range today, shoots like crap, right at MOA. Tried 150's, 168 moly, 175 SNKs. The best were the 168 Amax pushed by 44 grain of varget, Winchester brass. Any advice or experience to be shared, only have a couple hundred rounds through it, am I expecting too much?

stangfish
    Check all action screws. Check all scope mount and ring fasteners. If all that looks good, tell us what kind of scope you use.

masterblaster
    Checked twice on the range and last night. Scope is 6x24 Bushnell Eite Tactical, mildot. It sits in a Mcree chassis.

TC6969
    Are you saying that you just got it back with a NEW 5r barrel or you just got it back from some other work and you were getting better groups before with the same barrel?

My 10FP LE-1 shoots MOA and 1.5 MOA @100yds with regular ammo but when I shoot Federal Gold Medal Premium 175 Sierra Match King BTHP, it shoots 5 shot groups that you can cover with a dime with room to spare.

stangfish
    No problem there. I have the same one and I cant break it. Try 41 grains of varget behind a 168 non moly pill. If it doesn't shoot that well we got problems

Jet
    You aren't expecting to much. Have you tried varying your seating depth? How about running a ladder test?

Jet

masterblaster
    Its a brand new barrel, my old barrel, was not shooting like it should, they installed a 5 r while I had it in for a scope thread repair. I make my own ammo, the 150's above were factory that I use for my M1. I will try the 168 behind the 41 of Varget, any other load suggestions gents, thanks.

My FP likes 185 Berger's with WLR primers, 43.5 grns Varget, .030 off the lands. Always start low on your powder charge and work up. Then adjust your seating depth. I bet you will find a load that works for you.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Between the Colorado and Ohio Rivers, north of Mexico and South of Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Always start low on your powder charge and work up. Then adjust your seating depth. I bet you will find a load that works for you.
    +1 It took a little work, a Hornady chamber gauge and OAL comparator, but I finally found that sitting .050 off the lands got me to .323 without the flier and .960 with the flier at 100 yds.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    Reading between the lines of what you are saying; it sounds like you are shooting rounds you had, and have not worked on developing a tailor made load for the new rig (barrel). Is that the case? If so you should be able to work up a load that will shoot well; some rifles just take a lot more work to find out the proper recipe.

762X51
    My 5R Precision Carbine was never stellar either. About like you're experiencing, about MOA. Okay but not outstanding. My Axis will shoot rings around it for 1/3 the price. My non-5R Precision Carbine shot better but unfortunately it didn't eject worth a darn. Not sure who makes Savage's 5R barrels but they don't seem to be all they're hyped up to be at least not based on my experience (and apparently yours). Good luck in your search but I'm betting you grow weary of chasing loads...I know I did. If you're looking for a one holer off the shelf, I can recommend the Dick's Special model 11VT. My .223 11VT has shot 5 into .300". Not bad for a $450, off the shelf rifle.

stangfish
    Dennis reminds me of something that I have learned. Some powders like different primers. Some barrels like different powders. All barrels seem to like Federal Gold Medal Match. If your having trouble, try 4064 with Federal match primers. 2.800

Some powders like different primers. Some barrels like different powders. All barrels seem to like Federal Gold Medal Match
    Very true. All of my rifles have their favorite load. But one of the FGMM bullets will always work in my rifles. My 243 will drill the FGMM 55grn and 70grn Nosler Ballistic Tips. My 308 loves the 168 smk's. Two of my favorites.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

is that a 1-10 twist?

masterblaster
    Its a 11.25 twist. I will be reloading some Lapua brass this week for the first time, will start out with 168 smks pushed by Varget starting at 41 grains and goo up in two grain increments to 44 gr. Will do the same with 175 SMKs starting at 39 gr and go up to 43 gr. 10 rounds at each increment.

Between the Colorado and Ohio Rivers, north of Mexico and South of Canada
    Not exactly inspiring confidence in my looking at a 5r bbl. I think that I'll stick with the original choice of Douglas straight tapered and fluted.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

masterblaster
    I would not conclude that just yet. Only just shot it a little, it could be my reloads (most likely). I will work the barrel in over the next thousand rounds of testing, am doing the same process on new AR barrels on my 223 and 308 ARs at the same time.

Some folks don't believe in barrel break in but I firmly do. Did you clean between shots and follow a break in procedure or just start blasting?
    When you push a patch do you feel any spots that are tight or drag? If so maybe some hand lapping or fire lapping is in order. or keep shooting till they smooth out.
    I'd probably just keep looking for THE load, every decent rifle seems to have one.
    Good luck
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

bodywerks
    Did savage guarantee sub MOA for this rifle? Maybe that's just as good as it shoots. ~1 MOA for an $800ish rifle is par for the course.
    My savages have yielded sub half MOA groups on occasion, but on average they have all been about 3/4-7/8 MOA.

masterblaster
    I think they guarantee 1 moa or better for all their rifles, they sent the proof target with it and it looks to be 0.750 group with BHM ammo.Yes I actually use a Otis wire with brush, and cotton swab to do the break in 1 round 5 rounds 10 rounds etc, then a thorough clean with bore cleaner when I get home.I am switching all brushes out to nylon right now.

Basic Member
    168 Sierra HPBT or 168 AMAX 44gr Varget or RL15 Seated at 2.80" Have shot these in 4 different 308 rifles and all were sub MOA. 2 were sub .5MOA.

Sierras like to jump. AMAX maybe.

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I think they guarantee 1 moa or better for all their rifles, they sent the proof target with it and it looks to be 0.750 group with BHM ammo.Yes I actually use a Otis wire with brush, and cotton swab to do the break in 1 round 5 rounds 10 rounds etc, then a thorough clean with bore cleaner when I get home.I am switching all brushes out to nylon right now.
    Its fine to do a little break in, but after that, STOP CLEANING IT! All savages i have ever owned shot better with some copper fouling. I will go 300-600 round between cleaning. Of course, i maintain the bolt and clean the chamber but that's it.

masterblaster
    I hear ya BW, I don't overly clean the barrel normally, just through break in, after that a couple runs with a brush and oil, and then patch. My normal day at the range is 500- 800 rounds though so it gets cleaned every trip.

bodywerks
    Holy crap that's a lot if rounds! And a lit of reloading time!

masterblaster
    yeah, I know, but reloading is as much fun to me as shooting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast