Thread: savage 99 250-3000 tumbling bullets.

gunny

savage 99 250-3000 tumbling bullets.

Finally got my 250-3000 out to the range yesterday.

This 2 shot group I was shooting factory Winchester 100 grain Silvertip and as you can see the barrel is stabilizing the bullet quite nicely.

Here is a picture of some hand loads that I am developing using Nosler 100grain ballistic tip. (Blue tip) these rounds are clearly key holing which is an obvious problem. Should I go with a lighter bullet?

And help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah I would. Generally the 99s prefer the 87gr or less with their slow 14 twist. If you could get a little more speed the 100s might stabilize but still not shoot real well.The 87gr game king would be bullet I would try.

gunny
    why was it stabilizing factory 100gr silvertip?
    Last edited by gunny; 04-23-2013 at 05:06 PM.

I think the silvertip has a longer bearing surface than the ballistic tip. Longer bearing provides better stability.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Pretty sure they are the same bullet. Both made by Nosler. 33.5gr of what powder? Im still thinking the factory loads are faster than your reloads. Have you chornographed the factory loads vs your reloads?

bill2260
    I shoot 87 gr hornady spire pt. They are listed as a varmint bullet. I shot one doe threw the shoulders. She went 25 yards and folded up. Bullet disintegrated, but sure did kill. Bill

gunny
    i loaded up 9 rounds of H335, 33gr, 33.5 and 34gr. (34gr was max load) i dont have a chrono but it should have been in the area of 2850FPS.
    Last edited by gunny; 04-24-2013 at 02:19 PM.

99s can be tricky. About the only way to really tell would be to chronograph each load and see if in fact the factory load may be running faster and there by being able to stabilize the bullet. Or step down to a lighter bullet weight or try a 100 gr with a flat base to give you more bearing surface. The sierra pro hunters may be a good place to start if you are stuck on 100 grains.

gunny
    im not stuck on 100Grain bullets. as long as its a high quality accurate hunting bullet. This rifle will be passed down to my son and i would love for him to take his first deer with it as i did back in the day.

argie1891
    it is pretty simple the 100 gr. bullet is just to long for the twist. i would bet the winchester bullet you dont have a problem with is shorter than the nosler bullet. i have had the same problem with 222 remington 1in 14 they wont satbilize the heaver bullets. just feed it a lighter bulllet or find a 100 gr. that is shorter and i bet your problem will be solved. argie1891

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I think the silvertip has a longer bearing surface than the ballistic tip. Longer bearing provides better stability.
    I was under the impression that the longer the bullet the faster the twist requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    I was under the impression that the longer the bullet the faster the twist requirement.
    You're right. Bearing surface plays a small part from the land engagement, but as you said length plays the biggest part.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

argie1891
    yes the bullet length has to be correct for the twist. it is claimed that raising the velosity can make up for stability problems. while this is true at least in theory usually it cant be done at acceptable pressures. the 87 gr. bullet in the 250 should work well for you. argie1891

Salvo
    Nosler has a 90 grain ballistic-tip, solid-base bullet designed for big game, I'd try those.

Beautiful gun there, what I could see of it.

.250Savage
    Nosler reloading manual 6 page 182 "older model 99's have a 1-14 twist barrel,and will not stabilze any of our bullets.....Lymann 44 eddition have good loads for the 1-14twist..
    Last edited by .250Savage; 05-15-2013 at 04:40 AM.

mikej
    Quote Originally Posted by .250Savage View Post
    Nosler reloading manual 6 page 182 "older model 99's have a 1-14 twist barrel,and will not stabilze any of our bullets.....Lymann 44 eddition have good loads for the 1-14twist..
    LOL, I found that same quote after I had already ordered two boxes of 50 Nosler 100 grains bullets. They made perfect bullet shaped silhouettes at 75 yards.

I've been working with Sierra 87 grain varmint bullets and they're showing promise. At least they stabilize. After looking at Grafs catalog, I saw that Speer has two 87 grain bullets. One for varmints and one for "hunting". I ordered the Hot Core hunting bullets and hope to use them for deer next season.

mike

Eric in NC
    The Winchester silvertip load uses a short, blunt profiled bullet. You could probably get away with a flat base round nose 100 grainer but I just use the 87 grain bullets made for the 250-3000 in my old 99s. Although I have had a lot of trouble equaling the performance of the Winchester factory load!

Basic Member
    The Speer 100 gr Hot Cor flat base bullet does well in my .250. It is short for the weight, so you might give it a try.
    Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
    NRA Patron Member

argie1891 has it right.

The Silvertip will have a length somewhere around that of either the 100gr Sierra GameKing (0.991 in) or the 100 gr Pro Hunter (0.97 in) while the Ballistic Tip is 10-15% longer at 1.115 inches.

You can get more bullet lengths by going here: http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballist.../lengths.shtml

Good luck and keep us posted -- especially if one of these shorter 100 grain bullets work for your Model 99!

argie1891
    If I remember correctly the 87 gr. bullet killed deer size game 50 years ago. now I don't think the average white tail or muley has grown that much thicker hide. shoot the 87 gr bullet and keep your shots in the boiler room and I would bet that there will be venison in the freezer. argie1891

Eric in NC
    Quote Originally Posted by argie1891 View Post
    If I remember correctly the 87 gr. bullet killed deer size game 50 years ago. now I don't think the average white tail or muley has grown that much thicker hide. shoot the 87 gr bullet and keep your shots in the boiler room and I would bet that there will be venison in the freezer. argie1891
    Yep - they will do the job if you do!