Thread: Who's shooting 6br on a Savage action?

Basic Member

Who's shooting 6br on a Savage action?

Kicking around the idea of a 6br 8 twist as the next barrel for a PTA.

How are folks doing shooting these in pre-fit barrels on Savage actions? Shilens, CBI, McGowen etc? any better than the others? I've had pretty good luck with some Shilens and CBI.

Any issues with chamber dimensions?

Neck turning, needed or not?

Preferred dies?

Seems like a 100/105/107gr bullet over 30gr of Varget is a go to load, is that working out?

Basically just looking to get a snapshot of how various pre-fit projects have gone, whether it be for a match gun, varminter, informal targets etc.

Thanks, Matt.

I have a 28 inch 1 in 8 twist McGowen bull on a 12 action and it is doing great for me. I am shooting 87 gr. Hornady BTHP Varget and I thinking about trying 105 s but haven't got to it yet.

Basic Member
    I shoot a pac-nor slow twist on a center feed repeater action, but I shoot the 68 to 70 grain bullets. 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. it will feed out of a 308 mag and is a lot of fun.

keith

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies. What is brass prep lie, which dies are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by kkeene View Post
    I shoot a pac-nor slow twist on a center feed repeater action, but I shoot the 68 to 70 grain bullets. 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. it will feed out of a 308 mag and is a lot of fun.

keith
    I read the words slow twist so my ears perked up, how slow is slow, LOL

Spanky
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I got a 1 in 14 twist 6br on a 112v single shot. The action is long for the case but works fine... I bought a die from Harrell's precision. You send them 2 fired cases and they do the rest..Im using Varget with 58g v-max's and it did very well 1/4 inch at 100.. I am trying imr8208xbr with 66g Barts ultra's..

I use forster and redding.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

I really haven't done too much load work up as my Son and I had built him one and I just used the same load he was using. I did get to shoot one time for the email match last year and my 3 five shot group agg. was .358 if I remember right. I have read on here and other places that the 1-8 twist will shoot a wide range of bullets. I am using RCBS dies and shoot mostly informal targets, due to health reasons I haven't shot much lately but am getting back in shape and want to try the heavy bullets more as soon as components become available.

Team Savage
    Pac Nor 3 groove 28" SS straight pipe, 8 twist, short "no turn" throat so I don't have to mess with neck turning. Started with 50 grain Bergers and go heavier as the throat wears. I'am up to 60s now. Bug holes are the norm. 5 shot groups that can be covered with a dime.
    25 to 30 times reloaded brass and still going strong using Forster Precision Bushing Bump Dies. Body die when the bolt starts getting stiff on closing. AA2230 and AA2460 loaded mild and the brass doesn't get hammered. Single feed so the mag doesn't tear up the brass and they never hit the ground. No trimming needed because the brass doesn't grow using the Forster dies.
    Same with the 22 BR. (also, 30 and 6.8 BR) Same dies with different bushings. Long brass life makes them that much more fun to shoot. Started with RCBS full length dies then went to Forster for longer brass life.

Basic Member
    Sounds like the pre-fits are doing pretty well.

Anyone shooting a Criterion?

I have the Criterion/CBI 6BR in an 8 twist 28" long on a Model 12 repeater action with the follower in it. Mine shoots so tight its flat out boring to be honest. Unless I am not doing my job of gaging the wind of course. On a calm day mine will put 5 shots in groups in the .3's at 100yds reliably. Barrel cleans real easy, I mean real easy. For prefits, CBI is my go-to, but since my latest barrels have been (and going to still be for the next couple) wildcats I have not used prefits. I have ordered and installed CBI's for a couple of my buddies in 243AI and they are real shooters and clean easy also. I would not hesitate on the CBI.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Team Savage
    If you go 6BR, think about a "custom" chamber, cut with the freebore set to the bullets "YOU" plan to shoot. Nothing worse than getting a barrel with the chamber freebore too long and you end up with the bullet of your choice jammed into the lands and you don't have enough bullet in the case neck. You can always go longer with the throat but you can't go shorter. Plan ahead!!

Basic Member
    Good information as always. Planning to shoot 65-107gr bullets. Obviously the lighter varminters for speed and explosiveness and the hevier target bullets for lr work. Have had great success CBIs in the past. Interested in how various no-turn chaambers are working out, freebore for various manufacturers, effective loads for various loads etc.

I have decided to go to the dark side, I was going to go 20 cal but bumped my head getting out of bed, and ended up with a bull barrel 6mm BRX 30" 8 twist from Dennis at McGowan, an 8 twist I feel there should almost be a 1 in front of that 8 there is something about a single digit twist rate that doesn't seem right, I just might have him stamp 18 just to make me feel better so it doesn't affect my shooting.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I shoot a Benchmark 1:8,26" bull barrel, I had a PTG reamer made, it is a .272 no turn neck, .073 freebore, I shoot 87's-108's. This reamer was showcased in gun of the week. I can put any of these bullets anywhere in the case neck and all shoot good. I also had a Harrells die made. The barrel really likes the Berger 108's, 29.5grns of IMR 4895. It also likes the Berger 105/Varget combo, any other ?'s just ask.

Team Savage
    I shoot a 6mm BR McGowen 26" 1:10 twist prefit (before CBI). I just followed the advice on 6mmbr.com. It likes 8208XBR a touch better than Varget with 65 gr V-MAX, Lapua brass and CCI primers. Use Foster FL BR and seater dies. No special case prep. Easiest caliber to load for I've ever owned. I found 8208XBR to be a touch better than Varget in my set-up. Shoots in the .3's consistantly and hammer's paper and P-dogs.

Basic Member
    Sounds like everyone's pretty happy with their 6brs. Thinking about a switch barrel project this winter, thanks for all the good information.

The dies - bushings and competition seater were nearly as much as the barrel, I really hope there's as much substance as hype,

Dean

Basic Member
    I shoot a savage F-Class 6mm BR and it is fitted with Sightron SIII 8x32x56 on top of EWG base and Burris 6 screw Tactical rings and it has been a fantastic shooter. Shot it at Colorado Prairie dogs 2 years in a row, many shots over 600 and the longest a 713 last year. The go to load for me is 29.0 grains of Reloader 15, I have personally had better luck in this rifle with Re15 than I did Varget. I shoot paper with the Berger 105gr Hybrid and PD's with a 105gr Hornady Amax, both soot on a rail. Consistent 1/2 or less MOA. I will always own a 6BR and I would put this one up against any custom rig out there, it may be a freak but I am sold on it.

Basic Member
    That sounds like a winner for sure- what are you using for dies? What's you're brass prep like?

Seems like a 100/105/107gr bullet over 30gr of Varget is a go to load, is that working out?
    It's hard to beat a 6br. The above load with Varget is common (CCI 450 primers). Some have their accuracy node with 29.5 grains, and some are a little over 30.5. Seating depth varies. I shoot 107 smk's, but know several who love the 105 Bergers. I am still using my first set of fireformed brass, close to 20 rounds so far.

I also built a BRX and love it. In fact two of us built the same gun. Shooting 60 round practice or match rounds, we have changed out two spotters (3 total used during the match) several times. I put mine on a Savage PTA action, my friend put his on a Bernard.

I use Wilson seater dies, and Redding FL bushing dies. These are my go to, but have others as well.

JMO, Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

PS: We don't really see much of a difference with the Bernard Action compared to the Savage PTA. I have talked to many across the country who use Savage PTA's. I have no reason to try something different. Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    I use Forster seater and fl sizer as well as Forster NS. I rarely FL size. Brass is Lapua and I have 15 firings, annealed after 10 and have had less than 2% loss of cases due to neck splits. The brass is so good have yet to have to trim. Love the 6br.