Thread: Bear Hunter cheek weld is to low

IronworksTactical

Bear Hunter cheek weld is to low

I just put my EGW 20MOA base on my new 116 Bear Hunter (300WM) and mounted my optic ill be using for now and instantly realized my rings are to tall but on top of that when I laid down behind the rifle and got a comfortable cheek weld I realized I'm staring just barely over the top of the back of the bolt. So even with shorter rings I'm going to be needing to raise my head. Suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Thanks,
    Brett

stangfish
    There are many options for you. From a molded kydex adjustable cheekrest, a strap on cheeck rest and one where you modify your stock and insert an adjustable cheeckrest. How is your google fu?

Sundodger
    Quote Originally Posted by IronworksTactical View Post
    I just put my EGW 20MOA base on my new 116 Bear Hunter (300WM) and mounted my optic ill be using for now and instantly realized my rings are to tall but on top of that when I laid down behind the rifle and got a comfortable cheek weld I realized I'm staring just barely over the top of the back of the bolt. So even with shorter rings I'm going to be needing to raise my head. Suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Thanks,
    Brett
    I have this problem on all my guns, I generally need my head about 1/2" higher on the stock than standard stocks allow. I currently use this on my savages and am having a semi custom stock made for my Pre 64 M70.

The beartooth product isn't perfect, but it's cheap and their are not a ton of options for what I would want.

http://item.brownells.com/brands/bea...ing-kit-mo.htm

Good luck

IronworksTactical
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    There are many options for you. From a molded kydex adjustable cheekrest, a strap on cheeck rest and one where you modify your stock and insert an adjustable cheeckrest. How is your google fu?
    My googlefu is ok if i know what I'm looking for. I come from the world of hunting with AR15s in 6.8 (I have my own line of uppers in fact) but I admittedly know very little about the tricks of modding bolt actions. I just knew I needed a gun for bigger game and enjoy shooting as it is so figured it was time to get a larger gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
    I have this problem on all my guns, I generally need my head about 1/2" higher on the stock than standard stocks allow. I currently use this on my savages and am having a semi custom stock made for my Pre 64 M70.

The beartooth product isn't perfect, but it's cheap and their are not a ton of options for what I would want.

http://item.brownells.com/brands/bea...ing-kit-mo.htm

Good luck
    Are there any issues with the inserts slipping around creating a slightly different cheek position each shot?

Basic Member
    As someone who shoots ARs and Bolt guns you can easily get your bolt gun optics seated very high with AR approaches. There is a reason Leupold has several optics with modified bells to allow for lower seating of larger optics.

My Bear Hunter feels ok in 338 win mag with medium height rings and a 50mm optic. Could the comb be a bit higher - sure.

BTW enjoy the bear hunter - I love mine.

IronworksTactical
    I took my LaRue mount off my SPR and put it on my bear hunter and immediately laughed. I hadn't realized how tall of rings those were. I'm a huge fan of the LaRue mounts as the machining is great and I've never had to lap the rings but I don't think they make anything anywhere near low enough.

Sundodger
    Quote Originally Posted by IronworksTactical View Post
    My googlefu is ok if i know what I'm looking for. I come from the world of hunting with AR15s in 6.8 (I have my own line of uppers in fact) but I admittedly know very little about the tricks of modding bolt actions. I just knew I needed a gun for bigger game and enjoy shooting as it is so figured it was time to get a larger gun.

Are there any issues with the inserts slipping around creating a slightly different cheek position each shot?
    My biggest issue has been getting them setup to where I want. The bottom of the neopreen is super tacky so getting it into the initial posistion is difficult. The first couple of approaches I tried (basically try to get a raised comb and cheek piece) was tough. It wouldnt rapidly change between shots, but move glacerally over time because of what I assume are residual stresses and not enough of a normal force. Looking back I think I could have made it work, but I went with a straight raised comb tried to get all of the residual stresses out and let it sit for a week or two hoping it would form it's self a bit. It's been rock solid so far with that.

Over on Sniper's Hide, there's a guy named Joe Ducos, goes by the screen name "stockdoc" I believe. He takes your stock, cuts it and installs the hardware to make it look like a factory adjustable comb. All of the posts I've seen have been positive. It definitely looks better than those lace on things or duct tape over foam. I don't know the cost, don't know what you're lookin' to spend. It may be cheaper to buy an adjustable stock, maybe not. For me, it's just one of those things you notice while surfing the forums and file away for later use.

-Rick
    Unbiased AR15, Barnard, BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.

IronworksTactical
    Thanks switchbarrel. I was looking at the hardware to do this but not knowing what the inside of that butt on that stock looks like (solid or not) it had me a little nervous. This sounds like the route to go.

rmdailey
    I like these http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...7.aspx?ttver=1

I use the Velcro ones that way I can remove it easy and it won't hurt a wood stock.