Thread: shooting prone ??

acemisser

shooting prone ??

tried to shoot prone this afternoon.....can't get my head in the right
    spot to get a good cheek contact and still see thru the scope.
    Any ideas?

stangfish
    Pictures of whats going on? Scope is moved far forward and a cheekrest that sees some weight is what you are after. Some are more consistent the lower their posture is.
    Last edited by stangfish; 06-08-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Basic Member
    Either too far away, too close, too low or too high. I'm sure you can figure that out.

acemisser
    scope is as far back as the mounts will allow...Perhaps some higher mounts would work..It not,guess this old
    ******* will continue shooting off the bench..what else is there to say?

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
    Either too far away, too close, too low or too high. I'm sure you can figure that out.
    you might be right,lol

Westcliffe01
    Usually if you have been shooting off the bench, then the scope is too far back. You also have to get the height of the rifle correct. I just got 2 short bipods this week for prone shooting since my "sitting position" bipod is way too long, even fully collapsed. At this time of the year, the grass height can be a problem, in which case you might need to use a longer bipod and position yourself slightly over the crest of a hill so that you can see over the grass.

I got some practice in on Wednesday evening, had a visitor from Germany from 10 years ago who had never fired a gun. Both of us had 100% hit rate on 2 steel targets, the first at 160 yards the second at 300 yards. If I had not adjusted the elevation on his scope he would have shot a 3" group at 300 yards with my 10PC in 223 with 75gr HPBT bullets which I hand loaded. I put 3 bullets into 1 "crater" at 160 and did about a 3" group at 300. The 223 did no damage to the plate but the 243 AI put craters into it that were 1/4" deep.

acemisser
    Appreciate the replies..Maybe with this screwed up back I will have to continue
    to do the stool shootin as they call it..Got things pretty well set and hate to be making
    and ratical changes at this time in
    the game..You know what I mean.....

Westcliffe01
    I find my consistency prone to be better than off the bench. Main limitation is having line of sight due to tall grass.

Uncle Jack
    My biggest problem is falling asleep.

uj

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack View Post

uj
    your right Jack

Basic Member
    Began shooting prone this year and I have worked on this a lot, and found it necessary to get a higher cheek-rest which provides solid support; that way you can maintain a consistent position and reduce neck fatigue. I'm shooting the Choate Tactical with the highest rest they offer. Based on what I was able to research on the web you need to have solid cheek pressure to aid in uniform recoil action, and I can predict shot accuracy based on how well I manage the recoil. A quick way to experiment is to use a hand-towel, folded as many times as necessary, to play around with cheek rest height in order to define a ballpark spacing before settling on a real rest. After setting the height, then adjust the distance between the eye and the scope when laying prone in your natural position of aim.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack View Post

uj
    I've done that while shooting in a fclass match waiting for the wind to shift in my favor or waiting for the barrel to cool down alittle especially with my 308ftr rig I've got it set up perfect for me.