Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Savage 10 TR details???

SubaruEJ25

I just finished setting up this rifle about a week ago and had my 1st range session over the weekend. First I removed the EGW base which was torqued down pretty tight from the factory, swabbed the base screws and ring screws with denatured alcohol, leveled and mounted the scope, applied blue Loctite to all the screws, and timed the muzzle brake. The trigger needs to be lightened but I still managed .75" groups at 100 yds. This rifle definitely has a lot of potential!!!

Brasse - I was also using 168 gr PPU ammo and the chamber was very tight. At first it would not chamber but with a little muscle the rounds would feed. I can still feel some pressure on the bolt handle when chambering a round. To get on paper I used a few 147 gr rounds and did not have any issue chambering them.

My rifle has a gap between the bottom of the rear tang and the stock, it's about 1/16". I called Savage but they did not think this was a problem. I'm not going to be sloshing around in the mud with this rifle but I could see some debris finding its way in. Does anyone else have this gap?

Since I'm a lefty I was a little worried about the oversized bolt handle, but it is a joy to shoot especially with the brake. I also brought a 6.5 Swede with me and the Savage recoil was noticeably less than the 6.5 which is known for it's softness.

Here's a pic... http://www.flickr.com/photos/99194110@N04/9404281231/

thomae
    The tang on a Savage traditionally should be free floated. You need that gap to keep the receiver from being stressed since there is no rear action screws under the tang as in some other brands. It is natural and normal. Please don't try to "fix" it.

brasse
    What brake are you using?

SubaruEJ25
    Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    This one... http://custommuzzlebrakes.com/#!/~/p...47&id=14116527

SubaruEJ25
    Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    Original Razor brake from custommuzzlebrakes

brasse
    Great day at range. Shooting some Hornady 168GR HPBT. Once zeroed in at 100 yards, switched to another target. First two shots in one hole. Shot the other two in the DBM, these also went into another one hole, touching the other one. Everything fit inside a penny.

Four (4) shot group. It was 98 degrees with wind gusting 5 to 12 MPG from the right. About .38 MOA

Below is 3 shot group with 155 GR A-Max
    Last edited by brasse; 08-02-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Basic Member
    brasse: Whoa! Pretty darn impressive!
    Looks like You've found what Savage likes! :-D
    Last edited by Starosta; 08-02-2013 at 06:18 PM.

brasse
    There is some debate on what is the best factory 308 round:
    Hornady 168GR HPBT
    Hornady 168GR A-Max
    Federal Premium Gold 168 GR Sierra Match King
    Federal Premium Gold 175 GR Sierra Match King
    Black Hills 168 GR Sierra Match King

I am surprised that the recoil was not bad with the Hornady 168GR HPBT. I have a box of the 175 GR SMK and have coming several boxes of the Federal Premium Gold 168 GR Sierra Match King. Just hoping for a low pain shoulder day combined with low temps and low wind conditions.

Some 10TR love this gun shoots great i'm shooting Federal Premium Gold 168 GR Sierra Match Kings under moa at 100 from bipod. Everyone who has shot this 10tr wants one ahhhh envy I like it to funny!
    Kelly
    Last edited by blackbart338-06; 08-27-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID !

brasse
    I look at the price all the time, $456 delivered. One of the best deals in my life.

Basic Member
    I've done some tuning of cheek height, harris podloc, diopter correction and proper scope timing...
    And after the brake installation right to the range :)

These are my best shots fired off my Savage yet - 200 metres (~219 yards), Sako 168grs Sierra HPBT

The two extra holes were added afterwards because of elevation turret loosening on 300 metres.
    (I totally screwed my zero before finding out its the turret - so I needed to "find myself" again on this target to re-zero.)

Basic Member
    To revive the thread...
    I was initially quite confused about timing my scope:

When I installed scope measuring gaps under the scope cube, both reticle and clicking were significantly canted. I had to time the scope in the rings a LOT to get clicking vertical.

But then, I changed the original EGW non-canted base for Weaver 20MOA base I've read a lots of "great for the price".

To my surprise, having leveled both action and new base, putting scope+rings back on top - the scope was obviously canted to the opposite side.

After I timed scope in rings to vertical axis (now even the gaps under the scope cube are equal) I verfied on the range proper clicking.

This means that the original base was tightened VERY much to the side of the reciever, so I had some side offset of the scope.
    My bad - I should check base level (and torque) first.

Anyway...

Today, I took the stock off and adjusted trigger to the lowest possible settings.
    Haven't found any torque specs in the user manual, what torques do you use for tightening action in?

Found this - have anyone tried this method?
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/

Thanks!

ilaypipe
    Has anybody had problems with the bolt rubbing on the left side of the safety? When I reload a round the bolt binds their, Is this normal?

Has anybody had problems with the bolt rubbing on the left side of the safety?
    Yes.

When I reload a round the bolt binds there, Is this normal?
    No.

I decided to troll the local gun shops today looking for year-end deals and one shop had a Black Friday ad on the counter that showed 20" 10TRs for...wait for it...$379.99.

I immediately asked if they had any, and the guy came back and said he had ONE left, a 24" 10TR, with the Black Friday ad pricing good through today. It didn't have the EGW rail and I didn't need another rifle (let alone a 308), but not being able to pass up a deal, it followed me home.

The guy said they had 30 before the sale, but "Nobody's beating down our door to buy a LE-only Savage". Once Savage discontinued their LE line, the shop offered them to the public at closeout prices.

I hate that I didn't see the sale flyer a month ago!!!

Basic Member
    Editor's note:

In future, when you have a question that is different than the topic of the thread, please start your own new thread. Thank you .

I copied your old post into a new thread, you should get your answer there.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...e-308-magazine
    Last edited by thomae; 01-07-2014 at 12:56 PM.

tnelson079
    IMG_20140131_141910_758[/IMG] Savage 10tr 24" barrel 308 cal

reynolds7
    Did you pick this up in KY by chance???

reynolds7
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    I decided to troll the local gun shops today looking for year-end deals and one shop had a Black Friday ad on the counter that showed 20" 10TRs for...wait for it...$379.99.

I immediately asked if they had any, and the guy came back and said he had ONE left, a 24" 10TR, with the Black Friday ad pricing good through today. It didn't have the EGW rail and I didn't need another rifle (let alone a 308), but not being able to pass up a deal, it followed me home.

The guy said they had 30 before the sale, but "Nobody's beating down our door to buy a LE-only Savage". Once Savage discontinued their LE line, the shop offered them to the public at closeout prices.

I hate that I didn't see the sale flyer a month ago!!!

Did you pick this up in KY by chance??

Quote Originally Posted by reynolds7 View Post
    Did you pick this up in KY by chance??
    Yup, Shooters Supply in Louisville.

Pseum0
    http://i.imgur.com/5fY0HZd.jpg savage 10 T which is apparently exclusively sold at cabelas. BA boltknob, accustock, accutrigger, 24 inch heavy barrel, 20moa base already on there.

reynolds7
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    Yup, Shooters Supply in Louisville.

Same here. Brother got it for me for Christmas. With this weather, I havent even got to shoot it yet. Got my scope mounted (Redfield BattleZone), just waiting on the weather. Next week is looking very promising. Do you by chance know the OD of the barrel? Im looking to order a brake from JP, but Im in Chicago and dont have access to measure it. Thanks

Basic Member
    reynolds7: The OD depends on the barrel lenght, but overall it's around 0.8":

20" has OD approximately 20.4mm (0.803").
    24" version has OD 20.18mm (0.7945").

0.875 brake will be a little over barrel OD:
    http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPTRE-5.58B.875

The .750 version should be shortened by a gunsmith to end up directly clocked and as close to barrel OD as possible.
    That should be an "optimal" solution, I guess.
    http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPTRE-5.58B.750

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234