Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage 10 TR details???

Team Savage

Anyone know if Savage is going to make another run of these? I would really like to have one, but they are out of stock everywhere.

thomae
    Nice job on the photos, Starosta! You are a quick learner.

brasse
    I second the great photos. Mine come from my cell phone. Got my bipod today. And a Past recoil pad, so I can try the 168 SMKs.

I had a feeling when we went viral on the 10TR that it would sell out quickly. Already wish I had got a second one.

Looking at better stocks, I like the Stocky's Bobby Hart AccuBlock Long Range Target / Tactical but the Savage is left out of the good stuff.
    HS has •PST114 Savage 12, 10FP Heavy Barrels, new 4.40" Screw Spacing, Detachable Magazine version

Basic Member
    Thanks, guys, I am glad you like my pics

Quote Originally Posted by brasse
    Looking at better stocks, I like the Stocky's Bobby Hart AccuBlock Long Range Target / Tactical but the Savage is left out of the good stuff.
    HS has •PST114 Savage 12, 10FP Heavy Barrels, new 4.40" Screw Spacing, Detachable Magazine version
    Be careful about bolt release on the bottom, some stocks are said to have problem with this - as far as I know.

Savage Arms 10 TR LE, 308Win
    - 20" threaded heavy barrel (button rifled, twist 1:10)
    - AccuStock - dural full-tang bedding, beaver forend with 2 studs for accessory (bipod, sling)
    - AccuTrigger - adjustable trigger (1.5 - 6 pounds) with trigger safety
    - floating bolt head
    - DBM, capacity 4+1
    - one-piece EGW base, 0 MOA
    - tactical bolt knob
    - SubMOA out-of-the-box guaranteed

I must admit I haven't noticed the "5R Obermayer rifling" at all...

Could it be found among Savage features, concerning barrel?
    http://www.savagearms.com/accuracy/
    (Unable to check it by myself right now.)

Picked mine up yesterday. The picatinny base will have to be shipped to me as it wasn't included. I am already getting finish wear on the left side of the tang and operation of the bolt has completely worn through the finish in this area. I haven't shot it yet only operated the bolt to kind of break it in as it felt pretty rough right out of the box. It smoothed up a lot after operating the bolt for a while. The tang is free floated except for a small spot touching right behind the bolt handle. It should be a pretty simple fix. Other than these minor things I'm very happy with it so far. It seems like a lot of gun for the money. It'll probably take a couple of weeks to get some glass on it and get to the range.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

brasse
    Got my EGW 109150 rail today, that was fast.

brasse
    Shooting my Norma 150GR today. I ordered 10 boxes from Midway, came to $22.27 per box.

Took the stock off while at the range, adjusted the Accutrigger to minimum. I was amazed that when the stock was put back on it shot 4 inches left and 4 inches high. Just two bullets later shooting bulls eyes.

But I did shoot some nice groups less than a quarter at 100 yards.

Basic Member
    brasse: Was taking the stock off without any problem, following user manual?
    The POI was moved only for first two shots? Sounds strange for me...

brasse
    Just two screws using an allen wrench. One in front of the magazine latch and one underneath the trigger bolt release slide. Comes right off. These Accustocks do not have the old wedge of the early Accustocks.

I adjusted the scope very quickly, next shot was only half an inch off after adjusting, was level with bulls eye but still half an inch left. Next shot was dead on.

But with less trigger pull (don't have a scale) guessing about 2 pounds, my groups were much better.

I also added a Kick-Ezz stick on stock cheek pad, guess it reduced my cheek pulse that drives my crazy.

Guess after 122 rounds through it the barrel is broken in. I will be shooting 40 rounds each time I take it to the range. I put a bi-pod on it, don't like shooting from it.

But I can highly recommend the Norma USA TAC Ammunition 308 Winchester 150 Grain Full Metal Jacket. Still available at Midway. If I can shoot sub MOA with it you can too.

Going to put my EGW rail from Savage on. It is much higher quality than the cheap rail I am using.

Basic Member
    brasse: Thanks for very inspiring post you made
    I missed that you adjusted scope after reinstalling the stock - now I get it.

I won't be afraid of taking the stock off and adjusting the trigger too, but...
    I'll have to get US size of allen wrench first - quite rare round here - and in combination with torque wrench it could still be work for someone with better equipment

Thanks for mentioning Kick-Eez cheek protector - and this is a big Yes: I do fight with my heart pulse a lot shooting with my .22 "precision rifle".
    So, is the impact on pulse transmission reduction really significant?
    Anyway, have to check my scope height first - my stock should be adjusted corresponding to required cheek height first - but good to know this product and your experience.

About ammo:
    Norma 150grs is probably unavailable in Czech Rep. (at least I googled none) but I have already bought some Sako 168grs HPBT so I hope it will be good enough
    Cartriges will be used for reloading to achieve even better level of accuracy and first few tens will be "wasted" on scope adjustments and dutiful break-in.
    At least that's my future plan ...together with necessity of learning a lot about shooting (mid/long range) itself.

Why do You not like shooting from bi-pod and what do you use instead - backpack or some kind of bag?
    Thanks!

brasse
    So, is the impact on pulse transmission reduction really significant?
    I think so. I can see the scope reticle moving over 2 inches at 200 yards. So taming that cheek pulse is important at least to me.

I am sure the Sako 168grs HPBT will shoot great. I was shooting cheaper ammo to sight in the scope and break in the barrel correctly. Recently got some Atomic 126 GR Sierra softpoint thread at http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...rra-Soft-Point

I have some Federal Premium Sierra Match King 168 HPBT coming. That ammo is the "Gold" standard for 308 ammo.
    Last edited by brasse; 07-24-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Basic Member
    Thanks, my cheek part should be on the way, I'll see if any wedge will have to be sticked in.

Now I have the optics mounted and I am getting all cleaning accessories on one heap before I start with breaking-in.

When I dry-tried the trigger, I decided not to adjust it yet - as I've read about problems with triggers tunned to low setting under 2lbs (even when it IS in manufacturer's range of adjustment).
    I mean possible "setting rifle off into the safety" while cycling and closing the bolt with higher intensity. It's been described in other threads and one has to lift and close bolt to recycle trigger.
    And, at last - I felt quite comfortable about the trigger pull. I will try and see.

What do You use instead of bipod?

Go ahead and set the trigger as light as it will go and dry fire it some. It wont hurt anything and will give you a good idea of what to expect. I really don't think you're going to have a problem. I think the reason you hear about problems with them is that if you don't have a problem then there's no need for an internet post and those that do have a problem post all over the place trying to find a quick answer. I have never had a problem with any of my accutriggers they all work just as they are supposed to including my 10TR. Very smooth and precise even on the lightest setting.

Personally I prefer a good set of bags at the range and a tree or other stable object in the field over a bi pod any day.

brasse
    Shot some PPU 168 Gr HPBT today at just 100 yards. Super accurate. Pretty sure you can get that where you live Starosta.

Anyone notice some ammo are really tight in the 10TR chamber?
    The cheaper Armscor 147GR and the PPU 168 Gr HPBT are hard to push to chamber, while the Atomic 126 GR and the Norma 150 Gr are as smooth as butter chambering.

I shot some Federal power shok 180 Gr the 10TR chambered great.
    Kelly
    YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID !

brasse
    Shooting the 10TR today. Another shooter was using a Rem 700 in 308, he had a cheap $35 muzzle brake and wanted to try mine with the JP Enterprises "Cooley" brake. He said my brake was three times more effective than his brake. He is going to order one today.

Sometimes the reviews at Midway are really helpful.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I have never had a problem with any of my accutriggers they all work just as they are supposed to including my 10TR. Very smooth and precise even on the lightest setting.
    Does it mean You haven't noticed this "falling firing pin" ever - even on lightest settings?
    Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    Shot some PPU 168 Gr HPBT today at just 100 yards. Super accurate. Pretty sure you can get that where you live Starosta.
    Anyone notice some ammo are really tight in the 10TR chamber?
    The cheaper Armscor 147GR and the PPU 168 Gr HPBT are hard to push to chamber, while the Atomic 126 GR and the Norma 150 Gr are as smooth as butter chambering.
    Thanks for some ammo tips. I believe it'll take me some time to shoot a few hundreds of SAKOs first ;-)
    But I'll see if I get a chance to reload some later...
    Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    Another shooter was using a Rem 700 in 308, he had a cheap $35 muzzle brake and wanted to try mine with the JP Enterprises "Cooley" brake. He said my brake was three times more effective than his brake.
    JP Cooley was also my choice. Very nice and easy to clean, said to be very effective, cool :-D
    Unfortunately there is no chance to get it to Europe for reasonable price so I'll try to have some custom-made done (pricepoint around 30-60 USD). Well, to be honest to get it here at all :'(

I have never had a problem with any of my accutriggers they all work just as they are supposed to including my 10TR. Very smooth and precise even on the lightest setting.
    Does it mean You haven't noticed this "falling firing pin" ever - even on lightest settings?

Yes that's what I mean. I do not have a rifle with the "red" accutrigger but I own accutrigger equipped 12BVSS a 12FV 110FP a 10PC and a 10 TR and have worked on several others for friends. I have never had an accutrigger malfunction of any kind. I have read about malfunctions on the internet from pushing the blade from the side and triggers that wont cock properly without the safety blade catching, but have never experienced any malfunction of any kind even when pushing from the side and trying to re create what I've read about. All my triggers are at their lowest setting. I have no doubt that a few may have slipped through the cracks but I have never seen one.
    I suggest you try yours and see what happens. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

masterblaster
    I just found this thread, didn't even know this rifle existed, man its nice looking. I have the 5R on my 10 FP in 308, Savage installed it when I complained to them that it wouldn't shoot under 1MOA, it now shoots 0.5 MOA. I cant find any info on this model anywhere.

brasse
    Savage has nothing. Use Google

Basic Member
    All my triggers are at their lowest setting. I have no doubt that a few may have slipped through the cracks but I have never seen one.
    I suggest you try yours and see what happens. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Thanks, jeep.
    I'll try mine for sure when my stock goes off.

Basic Member
    Just a thought on the p.o.a. shifting when you remove and reattach the stock, if when you first get the rifle and clean it remove the stock as well to make sure there isn't anything left laying in there from assembly, (it only takes a spec of something to change your bedding and it happens).

When putting it back together use a torque wrench and adjust to the specs in the owners manual, if you do this from the start each time you remove the stock you will probably have very little need to readjust the scope as often or as much.

Has anyone weighed their tr before putting on your scope etc. I just wonder how close the true weight is to the stated weight, thanks. blue

Basic Member
    Hey, blue, I did...

Mine was 3.9kg (8.6 lbs) out of the box - bolt in, empty mag, EGW base, thread protected.

Now, I am at 5.4kg (11.9 lbs) with rings, optics and bi-pod. Eventually I would like to add brake and stock pad. And this is the 20inch version...

Quite heavy, isn't it?

Basic Member
    Hi Starosta, thats what one of the reviews said as well for weight. Savage has always been a little modest about the rifle weights, but thats ok. I like everybody else can't find one anyway so i may go to the new version of the PC since i can find that.

It may be a little heavy but your most likely to be sitting or laying down when you shoot it so it should work out ok, but it may get to be a bit much if you pack it around all day. Thanks for the help, blue.

brasse
    Mine was 8.5 lbs - bolt in, empty mag, thread protected. My scope and rings with the rail weighs another 35 ounces. But for a while I had a Nikon Buckmaster scope on it, scope rings and rail was less than 22 ounces. If you used this rifle for hunting you can cut 12 ounces off by switching to the plastic magazine and bottom magazine well. I happen to like the feel of the bottom metal magazine parts.

Anyone weigh the 24 inch barreled 10TR?
    Last edited by brasse; 07-30-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast