Thread: Need advice on a Savage Choate stock chambered in 300 WSM vs sniper build

spdjnky_42

Need advice on a Savage Choate stock chambered in 300 WSM vs sniper build

I bought a Savage rifle with low round count. It is the Model 10 FCP Choate tactical chambered in 300 WSM. Can someone tell me was it a good buy at $400? It also came with a cheap Center point scope. Would it be worth using the stock for a sniper build and selling the parts to fund a new barrel and action?
    Also if someone has an idea what this gun used is worth I would appreciate it?
    Last edited by spdjnky_42; 06-07-2013 at 01:34 PM.

cheapshot
    Yes, that's a good buy. Ditch the scope, get a nice piece of glass. I would consider that a "sniper" rifle, for what that's worth. Have you taken it to the range yet? Any reason you want to change the barrel? The 300 WSM is going to be very hard to beat.

spdjnky_42
    Thank you for the reply. The guy I bought it from gave me the receipt and stated it had a Vortex Viper 4-16x50mm scope on it. Come to find out its a center point. He says he is going to take it back to Cabelas someone must have returned a cheap scope in the box and then they stuck it on his gun... Thanks for the info on keeping it!

stangfish
    They made a 10 FCP with a Choate? Could it be an H&S or McMillan possibly? Man if thats what you have you got a smoking deal!

spdjnky_42
    [IMG][/IMG]Well I was hoping you guys could tell me... It is a Savage model 10 FCP i guess in 300 WSM and a choate stock that was exclusive for Cabelas? Still an awesome deal?
    Last edited by spdjnky_42; 06-07-2013 at 04:39 PM.

airdale
    You did very well. Put some nice glass on it and take it to the range, do a proper break in (if it needs it) and I'll bet you'll end up with a big old grin at the end of the day.
    Last edited by airdale; 06-07-2013 at 05:15 PM.

spdjnky_42
    Thanks for the heads up!

dondick
    Is the bipod on backwards ?

It is a Savage model 10 FCP i guess in 300 WSM and a choate stock that was exclusive for Cabelas?
    I do remember Cabela's selling rifles with the Choate Stocks. It was only available for a short time and you couldn't order the same rifle from Savage.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

palerider338
    Quote Originally Posted by dondick View Post
    Is the bipod on backwards ?
    Yes it is.

Savage13
    Yes the Savage 10 with Choate stock was a Cabela's exclusive for a period of time. They were chambered in .300 WSM, .308 Win and, .223 Rem. I picked one up about 2 years ago now in .308 Win for $ 325 out the door and was VERY pleased with it. I hope you have as good of results with it as I have with mine. Mine is giving me .35" groups @ 100 yards.

spdjnky_42
    Dang! $325 OTD receipt showed $650? It was circled like a return did he go back and get the difference? Did I get screwed?
    I havent looked at the bipod closely thanks for the heads up I will take a look.

Savage13
    The one I bought was "used" and by used I mean that i'm pretty sure the guy bought it and the wife told him to take it back or get divorced because aside from the factory proof rounds i do not think it was ever shot, when the store bought it they bought it as just a model 10. They did not care what config it was. To them it was NOTHING more then a M 10. Basically it boiled down to the planets aligning PERFECTLY and me walking in to it at the PERFECT time.

spdjnky_42
    I got ya. He originally sold me the gun for $450 stating it had the Vortex scope on it. After he left I looked again and it was not. He said his cousin swiped it and he gave me $150 back. So I got it for $300 with a Center Point scope, soft case, 40 rounds of federal shoc ammo, a bore guide and cleaning kit and some military AP .223 rounds. Now I guess I need a good fixed 10x or 12x scope for it and to turn the bi-pod around. I put the 4x16 Center Point scope on my CMMG Ar 10 for now. Guess the planets aligned here as well. Too bad it didnt really have the $900 Vortex scope, but you cant win em all I guess LOL

Savage13
    also it appears that the scope base is on backwards as well in that pic

spdjnky_42
    LOL doesnt suprise me! I havent had time to mess with it yet. Thanks for the heads up!

thomae
    With all the misrepresentation that the seller has made to you, I'd be tempted to check with your local police to make sure the rifle was not stolen.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    With all the misrepresentation that the seller has made to you, I'd be tempted to check with your local police to make sure the rifle was not stolen.
    I was thinking the same thing. The guy obviously had no clue about what he was selling you. Trash talk all the way. This may be a bad deal. Call popo