Thread: LR hunter build

Basic Member

LR hunter build

I just picked up a brand new savage m14 .270wsm. My plan is to rebarrel to a 7wsm. I've read the barrel can be swapped and headspaced without a Smith, due to the barrel nut. Is this true for the average Joe or just for hardcore DIY'ers?

What are the options to increase the COAL if the factory dbm? Ive read the factory dbm allows about 2.93" COAL, is this correct?

Due these savage actions need extensive accurizing or need it at all?

Any other info or advice is appreciated. I have no experience with savage, thanks

Basic Member
    They tend to shoot fantastic right out of the box. Yes barrel swaps are easy without a smith. Savage rifle are a tweekers dream.

Basic Member
    Anyone have experience with a savage rifle? Lol

sinman
    Tons of experience. RP12 answered your barrel question. I would swap out your bottom metal for a CDI and use AI mags.

Basic Member
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by sinman View Post
    Tons of experience. RP12 answered your barrel question. I would swap out your bottom metal for a CDI and use AI mags.
    I know, i was just kidding. AI mags don't sit flush do they? I would prefer a flush for if possible.

sinman
    no they don't, I don't see you extending the factory mags much if any. The blind mags are about the only ones you can extend.

You should have plenty of room to seat a long 7mm bullet where it needs to be in the factory mag. Savages allow a bit more room than most.

Basic Member
    We can load a 7mm saum to 2.950 and it fits in mag.

bodywerks
    Yep. I love savage for their oversize magazines. Anyone got a part number for which savage magazine I need for 7saum in a model 10 factory bottom metal?

Basic Member
    We just run a factory LRP mag for 260 they only hold 2 rds but work well feeding wise. You just massage the feed lips a touch. They feed as well as the control feed model I have in 7mm saum.

Basic Member
    Anyone want to recommend a caliber. The rifle i bought is a 270wsm, but i already have a Tikka 270wsm. I was leaning towards a 7wsm, but im open to recommendations.

I really like the 300 WSM and the 243 WSSM.

Basic Member
    Well for long range shots, those exceeding 1000m and beyond, I would recommend a 7mm magnum. Pick which variant, they'll all reach out accurately.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Like they've all said, 7 would be my choice. Better ballistics and energy carried down range. Even if you can't fit the 180 gr into the mags, the 162 Amax running fast are just about as good.

Basic Member
    7mm SAUM is crazy accurate in most rifles I have done, but brass is not easily found.

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy83 View Post
    We just run a factory LRP mag for 260 they only hold 2 rds but work well feeding wise. You just massage the feed lips a touch. They feed as well as the control feed model I have in 7mm saum.
    Cool! I'll have to try that. I already have a magazine for my 260 that i don't use so I'll give it a try. One in the chamber two in the mag is more than I'd hope to need for hunting.

Basic Member
    On my Tikka 270wsm i have a #6 brux 26" barrel. I use it for hunting and target shooting. However,this rifle is to heavy to carry distance. With this build im looking for a lightweight LR hunter. I understand that weight is important for long range shooting, but this rilfe will be used for packing in, cold bore shot. This will be my dedicated LR hunting rifle. Im tyring to find a happy medium between LR performance and weight savings. Im leaning towards a #4 contour, but not sure. Also not sure if its worth the extra 100-150fps to go with a 26" barrel.

Im also stuck on rifle stock choice. I want a stock that handles prone, sticks, and offhand shots. I like a vertical palm, but i know theyre not ideal for anything but prone shots.

Work in progress......

JCalhoun
    emma,

If you become a paid member, everything you need from how to articles to parts classifieds will at you fingertips.

Basic Member
    Will a savage SA pick up and feed +3" coal 180 Berger vld?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
    Will a savage SA pick up and feed +3" coal 180 Berger vld?
    No, Max COL for a short action is usually around 2.95 or so.

.270 WSM and 7WSM sure are close. Is their really enough difference in the 2 to justify it?
    Have you thought about the .338 federal? 308 parent case with the energy of a 7 mag. I've been eyeballing this efficient little number for a while myself.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    .270 WSM and 7WSM sure are close. Is their really enough difference in the 2 to justify it?
    Have you thought about the .338 federal? 308 parent case with the energy of a 7 mag. I've been eyeballing this efficient little number for a while myself.
    I already have a 270wsm

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    This is my take.

270 caliber is a nice round, but not as many high BC bullets as 7mm. There are more lighter bullets developed for the 6.8 SPC.
    I guess it also depends on what you are going to hunt IE like Elk or western deer I would rather have 7mm or larger. Eastern Deer and hogs 270 is fine for the most part, but if you are hunting across 800 yard peanut fields then I say 7mm.

That said about 3-4 years ago I decided I wanted a round that would shoot inside 4" out to 300 yards for some reason. It was down to the 25-06 or 270 win and I was already loading the 95 gr TTSX for the 6.8 SPC so decided to go that route. There is a pipeline I hunt on with 300 yard range across a creek that hogs would frequent back then.

Set up a 270 win and ran that 95gr TTSX bullet at just under 3700 out of a 21" bbl.
    Shot a few hogs with it and it makes a real mess. Literally blew a ham off one - LOL.

Now I am switching to a 7mm magnum for a while.
    Have one field I hunt in that is 850 yards long, although I wont shoot at a deer over 400 or so.
    Hogs I dont care.

If you are going 338 in a short action, I would skip the federal and go for a 338-284 or better yet a 338 RCM, (ruger compact magnum) unless you dont intend longer shots or wont shoot big animals like elk or bear etc. The fed is perfect for hogs though with moderate recoil.

The 338-284 or 338 RCM will give you 338-06 power in a short action cartridge.
    Right now I have a 19" barreled 338-284 thats a real hog whacker.

I load it with 160 gr barnes TTSX and 200 gr Hawk flat nose bullets.
    Previously I loaded it with 210 gr TTSX bullets and they are devastating.

I shot a deer with the 338-284 160 gr TTSX running about 2900 or so last year and it ran about 10 yards and fell dead in the crotch of a tree. Had a 8" lung balloon blown out the opposite side.