Thread: did savage ever make a left hand bolt right eject action?

Basic Member

did savage ever make a left hand bolt right eject action?

I want a dedicated bench rifle where I can work the bolt with my do nothing hand, but still have it ejecting opposite my face. Did Savage ever make such a beast?

Basic Member
    Left bolt right eject.......Striker pistol.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Fred??? That you?

Anyways, wth did your comment even mean?

And yes, left bolt right eject. Did savage make that action or should i be looking at a custom?

stangfish
    Left hand bolt right hand eject: Striker Pistol. Isn't that what you asked?

Basic Member
    stang, thanks for the clarification. I am trying to find out if savage ever made one of their 110 or 10 based target actions. If the striker pistol can do .308.. then it might be along the right lines, its it a standard rifle action?

Without the pic, I had NO point of reference to what sharpshooter was referencing.

Basic Member
    There's one for sale in the classifieds in .308

Basic Member
    A Striker is a left hand bolt and right hand eject.

I have a left handed action, right handed action and a striker (left hand bolt right eject) action. I thought I was going to like the left handed action for a bench only gun but now that I actually built it and worked with it the gun is too awkward for me. Luckily my son is a lefty so he is going to get a nice gun.

I reload so I prefer the bolt to be on the ejection side so I can kind of catch the brass before it hits the ground.

Team Savage
    You wanted a left hand action and I'am guessing you're right handed? Right hand thumbhole stock with a left hand action. You keep your right hand in the thumbhole, work the bolt and feed ammo with your "free" left hand and the brass never hits the ground (for bench shooting). Single feed with no ejector. Your right hand stays in place and you always have control of the rifle.
    With the Striker, (left bolt, right eject) you have to pick up the brass by taking your right hand off the stock.
    Or, if you shoot it right handed, you have to reach across and work the bolt.
    Pull the ejector rod and spring and the brass will stay on the bolt head till you pick it off.
    Right hand stock, left hand action? Takes but a few times and you'll be liking it better than any of your right handed rigs.

Basic Member
    The Striker is basically a rifle action, with the exception of the screw spacing is totally different. I made several bench rest rifles for LH customers from Striker actions.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by scythefwd View Post
    I want a dedicated bench rifle where I can work the bolt with my do nothing hand, but still have it ejecting opposite my face.
    Keeping in mind we're talking about a dedicated "Benchrest", not prone or other rifle...

Presuming your a "righty" and going to shoot the rifle right handed, have you tried putting a normal right/right rifle on your left and working the bolt to see what it would be like? Remember, the bolt handle will now be coming back at your face. I'm left handed and find shooting right handed rifles awkward with the bolt coming back at my face. I know some do it, I never liked it personally.

Have you considered the Target action with the right bolt, left port (or dual port for even more speed)? Use your "do nothing hand" to catch or pick out the spent brass and load the next round in the chamber while your right hand works the bolt. This is a much more common configuration if you go to a BR match.

As a lefty, I sold off all my right handed rifles and went LB/RP or LB/LP. I thought long and hard about that LB/RP Striker before going with a regular left handed Savage action for my Dasher fireforming gun.

-Rick
    Unbiased AR15, Barnard, BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.

Basic Member
    switch.. good points. That bolt comes back and kisses my lips every time I cycle my actions. I dont break cheek weld during the cycling of the actoin anyways.

Bolt wont be much different position anyways.. but I definitely want to play with a lefty bolt first. That said.. I catch all of my brass in a bucket 4 inches to my right when my current action ejects.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The Striker is basically a rifle action, with the exception of the screw spacing is totally different. I made several bench rest rifles for LH customers from Striker actions.
    Fred did his magic on one for me a couple of years ago. It turned out to be one heck of a rifle. For a leftie it's the next best thing to a custom action.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't