Thread: My 15 year wait...is over......Desert Bighorn tag draw......

Basic Member

My 15 year wait...is over......Desert Bighorn tag draw......

Wow....Utah's only lottery....not quite a powerball winning ticket..but will be my once in a lifetime hunt....less than one hour from the house...some of Utah's most spectacular high desert isolated country...somewhat familiar with the area....spend free time there on off road machines...camera & of course binoculars...seven total tags for 2013 including one non resident for my unit....100% kill for the 2012 season........my weapon of choice........?......Tikka T3 in 6.5x55......sorry guys......backup rifle ? Savage Whitetail Hunter in full camo 308 Win....The Tikka is somewhat lighter...140 Nosler AB's or 140 Partitions in the Tikka are what I have in mind...the Savage shoots Swift 180 Scirrocos very well......so now the waiting begins....try to get better conditioned than I am now...riding my mtn bike 3-4 times a week...6-10 mile loops...the sheep terrain is not very hunter friendly....elevation will average close to 7000'...yes Desert Bighorn...wish me luck......being retired I'll have the full time frame of hunt...Sept 14-Nov 6th....last three weeks of rut...pic shows some rams from a few years ago....hope the one on the left is still around....he'll be a dandy by now..
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Basic Member
    Wow, good luck on the hunt, and the conditioning. Don't pull anything in the process.

Basic Member
    Congrats! Based on your familiarity with the area and conditioning I bet you will be successful on this special hunt. Looking for pics to follow.

Congrats!!!

Good luck, of course I'm sure there will be a full post-hunt post with lots of pics:-)
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

David13
    That looks like it will be good, and you are doing it right to get into condition for it.
    I sure do like Utah. I usually make it to Torrey in the spring and the fall, with one direction in and another out.
    Which brings me to ask, what part of Utah are you in?
    I would like to move up there.
    dc

Basic Member
    I live about 2 hrs north of Torrey...my sheep unit actually borders Capitol Reef National Park....

Some amazing...desolate & remote territory......
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Very cool, congrats! Find yourself a stadium or somewhere where you can climb stairs to get adjusted to climbing. I've never done a hunt like that but it makes sense lol.

Basic Member
    Congratulations! An experience I am sure you are going to enjoy.

Yeah, as usual I'm jealous! Not only do you live in a scenic wonderland, but it's full of trophy critters to pursue as well. Just wait....one of these days I'm going to show up on your doorstep with a couple suitcases and a dozen or so gun cases and assert my squatters rights. LOL
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

David13
    Furious
    Don't be surprised when you arrive, to see me already moved in over there.
    Armed
    Perhaps you are in Gunnison, Nehpi, Efraim, or maybe Mt Pleasant.
    I came thru' Scipio in May. What a nice little town. And beautiful country.
    We will be back in Torrey in September, so it won't hurt to plan my route already. I also like to ride thru' Colorado, either before or after Torrey.
    And we go shooting at the Wayne County range.
    I hope you get your sheep, or what's the singular of sheep? Shep? And post a photo.
    dc

Basic Member
    Sounds like you have it dialed in- a great area and an awesome caliber for sheep! Very smart to start preparing now, can't wait to hear how it all goes.

"Chance favors only the prepared" -Louis Pasteur.