Thread: Target rifle build .308

GSXR

Target rifle build .308

Wanting some feed back on my idea for a rifle build. first ill say that I do reload. My current gun Is a law enforcement model 10. Accutrigger and stock 20" barrel .308 Im a 1/2 moa shooter on my better days and im sure the rifle is way better than that. I wanting to build a rifle with a longer barrel to get better velocity from my loads. Im thinking about going with a savage .308 target action and a Shilen 28" 1:10 stainless select match barrel. What stocks out there fit the savage target action with no mods needed other than say a little clearance work with a dremel at most. Dont know much about the target action and cant seem to find much info on it. now this rifle will be used for nothin but shooting off my bench so i dont care about how heavy or ugly it is etc etc. I care about what happens on the other end only and before someone suggest all the custom stuff thats way better please keep in mind that this is what I can afford which is why Im asking about it and yes im aware there are better calibers out there than a .308 , but .308 is what im going to use so please lets keep the thread on topic. Now savage makes a target bench gun with a heavy 29" barrel. The twist rate is the major turn off to me. I know the 1;10 will stabalize 190 and 200 stuff so the 1:12 on there factory rifle doesnt appeal to me for this reason alone. Ive also heard they dont do anything different on there target barrels than say whats on my le model no?, so basically your still getting a mass factory barrel. BUT... how good are the savage target rigs out of the box?? buying the completed rifle savage offers would definately be cheaper or does my build: savage target action right load right eject I shoot left handed and the heavy contour shilen with the 1:10 twist at 28 inches and a mid level stock sound like the ticket for better accuracy. I have alot of cross wind where i shoot and I like the heavier bullets for obvious reason but want to keep the velocity up. basically i want the best accuracy for what I can afford to spend which is pretty much the two options that I have listed.
    Last edited by GSXR; 06-05-2013 at 10:11 PM.

contrary to popular opinion 1/12 will shoot the heavies -WELL-
    I'd just get a 12 BR or FTR & have at it
    you can always re-barrel later to a 10 twist if you still wanna
    but I'm betting you'll like the 1/12

JCalhoun
    GS;

Have you considered rebarreling the 10FP? It's easy enough and way cheaper than buying another action.

If you want a dedicated target rifle I'd go with a ordinary short action (maybe a used pawn shop gun or Stevens 200). I believe you will have an easier time finding a good stock for it than for a target action. Then add the barrel of choice (1-10 twist), Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) or Rifle Basix trigger, SSS recoil lug and optics of choice.

SSS has all the stuff you need.

GSXR
    I have thought about putting a different barrel on my current gun, would just hate to not gain any accuracy from it. Guess thats just a chance you take, plus be nice to have a dedicated hunting rifle that wasnt to heavy to pack. Ill have to figure It out.