Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope Leveling datum plane

Quote Originally Posted by sab1 View Post
    A one piece rod is very stiff and will twist the rings without you realizing that they are being twisted. It will force the rings to be straight, but they are elastic and will be "sprung" into that position (as soon as you remove the rod, they will spring back out of alignment). That twist can be overcome by a thorough lapping, which will essentially line-bore the rings, but there are two problems with that situation. First, the amount of material you have to remove during lapping when there is a twist in the rings could be relatively massive. Second, if you ever decide to reuse those rings, and you've lapped the heck out of them, you may have rendered them unusable on another rifle.

glassbeaver - boxing a scope won't reveal a vertical misalignment problem very well, since vertical misalignment only comes into play at long distances, and boxing at long distances is difficult to do accurately, due to too many other influences besides vertical alignment (like wind). If you never shoot at long distances (over 500 yds), vertical misalignment is not a big deal. The only tools I use to mount a scope are a bit and torque wrench, alignment pins, and a lapping rod. Oh, and a vertical reference line. What's so fancy about that? I suspect you use everything I do except the alignment pins. Are those considered "a lot of fancy stuff?"

Regards,
    Scott
    Couldn't agree with you less. If its off at 500 it will be off at 100.

sab1
    Quote Originally Posted by glassbeaver View Post
    Couldn't agree with you less. If its off at 500 it will be off at 100.
    glassbeaver:

You are correct - it will be off at 100yds, but the error is so small that you won't notice it. The reason it won't show up at 100yds is that vertical scope axis-to-bore axis alignment affects POI in direct proportion to bullet drop. The farther the bullet is from the sighting axis, the greater the error.

If you don't believe me, shoot a 1000yd match with a misaligned scope, then align it and re-shoot. You will become a believer. Of that, I am confident...

Regards,
    Scott

Basic Member
    seems to me life is far more complicated today than it used to be.

sab1
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    seems to me life is far more complicated today than it used to be.
    That it is, yobuck, that it is. :)

Remember, the scope mounting technique I presented really only becomes necessary if you want to compete in long distance matches.

Regards,
    Scott

Sundodger
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Try this type. Without additional measuring the pointy thingies only show the points align.

If you look closely you'll a gap where the bars meet at the bottom . It was a result of the rear ring having a burr, about .002" on it's base tipping the rear of it up and forward.

After correction the rings were bedded to the scope.

That set is about 25 years old, they're one of those long forgotten old gunwreaker tools. You can read about the "re-invented" ones here....
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...lignment-tool/

Bill

Bill,

Thank you, I really like those. I am going to try and flip my "pointed" ones around and see if that gets me the same result. Otherwise I might try to pick a set up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12