Thread: Choate Ultimate Sniper

Landkiller

Choate Ultimate Sniper

I have a Savage model 10 that I am thinking about getting a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock for. Any info or experiences with this stock would be appreciated. Also, where is the best place to buy a Choate stock? Thanks.

jamiermoore

Re: Choate Ultimate Sniper

The one I have is very rigid but is extremely heavy and very bulky in both the foreend and grip. I did some modification to the factory black stock (12fv 204) to make the foreend more rigid and have been using that. You can make the factory foreend much more rigid with some metal bar stock and epoxy along with a little work with a dremel.

Basic Member

Find a way to hold one, at a shop, a show or someoen you know before you buy.

Everybody I talk to either loves them or hates them because of the way they are built. Personally I wanted one until I was able to hold one then changed my mind. I would consider them more of a bench stock than a field stock because of the weight.

Dolomite

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dolomite_supafly
    Find a way to hold one, at a shop, a show or someoen you know before you buy.

Everybody I talk to either loves them or hates them because of the way they are built. Personally I wanted one until I was able to hold one then changed my mind. I would consider them more of a bench stock than a field stock because of the weight.

Dolomite
    That's good advice. I happen to like the Choate US and UV stocks a lot because they fit me very well. But several people who held or shot my rifles mentioned that they hated the stock.

Also the Choate US stock is definitely not a light stock. It weighs close to 6 lbs.

Uncle Jack

You should take a look at the U Varmint. It's a bit more civilized than the Sniper and it fits my hands better.

uj

brianinca

>>>
    It's a bit more civilized than the Sniper
    >>>

The US has a serious cant to the front that makes it ride the bags weirdly and is like 2 lbs heavier than the UV. I have two FP10's that have the factory installed UV and having shot a custom Remmy 700 with the US, I do much prefer the UV shooting from the bench or prone. I got 20" bbl's in both 223 and 308, they're actually pretty handy little rifles setup that way.

Both stocks have very adjustable LOP and cheek pads, mighty hand when your wife/girlfriend decides your rifle would look better in their side of the gun safe.

For contrast, I have a 12FVSS in a B&C VarTac, great setup but that stock is actually pretty bulky and the 26" tube makes it a fixed shooting point type rifle, not a drag it around in the truck rifle.

Regards,
    Brian in CA
    Regards,
    Brian in CA