Thread: Dilema about single stage presses for accuracy reloading

kubura

Dilema about single stage presses for accuracy reloading

Here is the question:

I would like to make between 100-200 rounds a month for target/ match shooting in 308 win
    for my tactical bolt action rifle.

I wanted to get Dillon 550B, but after doing some research,
    it is my understanding that single stage reloading presses are more suitable
    for rifle accuracy reloading.

MidwayUSA and Cabelas have both kits (RCBS Rock Chucker or Hornady Lock-N-Load)
    for about $300. Or should I still get Dillon 550B?

Any help and input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Dilema about single stage presses for accuracy reloading

I have used a RCBS for over 30 years with no problems, plus they have a life time warranty(they even cover depriming pins).If I was only reloading 1-200 rounds a month I would not hesitate to buy or recommend this press to anyone. You can always upgrade to the electronic powder drop and digital scale later, as for dies start with the x dies rather than upgrade for the few extra bucks it will cut some time off your reloading.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

You might want to check out the Forster Co-Ax press.
    C
    laportecharlie

Titandriver

Probably oughtta check a little more on the Dillon 550! Google Dave Tubb for starters & see what he uses.

Team Savage

Wore out a Lee press doing .308 for my M1A. Needed something bigger so I went with a RCBS Rockchucker. Rock solid and the warranty is great. Did some damage to the Rockchucker (don't ask how :-[) and got replacement parts at no charge within a few days. Got loads of RCBS dies and equipment so I stick with what I know is good. Lots of other brand gear out there that's good stuff but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend RCBS.
    Never used Dillon gear so I can't speak about them. I've heard good stuff about them. I prefer a "single stage" press. Gives me more chances to see my brass and check for mistakes. Seen too many rounds not get powder in them from progressive presses so I'll stick with my single stage gear.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

kubura

Thank you all. I decided to go with Dillon 550B.
    Just ordered one from Brian Enos.
    Thanks again.

scottkr

I have a Dillon 550B. Have had it for 30 years. Loaded everything from 9MM to .30-06 for an M-1. Wouldn't have anything else. I actually own 2.

Basic Member

I load 500+ rounds a month in varies calibers on my RCBS rockchucker and have no problem doing it. The only reason I use a progressive press is for loading pistol rounds. When loading for upmost accuracy I would prefer to throw the powder charge myself. If there is a variance of .3 grains it can affect my shot at 600. I guess I don't trust the powder measure to be accurate enough to throw exact charge weights.

Basic Member

you can single stage load on a dillon, including hand weighing charges, it can still save time though, especially if you crimp. i load my 223 on the dillon and use all the stages except the powder throw, i pull the case and dump the charge by hand, if you want to do allot of brass prep you can still seat a primer,crimp,and seat a bullet all in one stroke, it will save time. i deprime on an rcbs prior to doing brass prep.
    God still loves you,   yep even on them days....

Tightgroups

I only do about 300 per month, plus I'm retired and have the time, and most of the time is in the brass prep anyway. So im still hand reloading, and im stuck on the Forester Co-Ax, and im not about to change that.
    So, to me, it all depends on how many rounds you do in a month, how much time you have, and ammo quality, I dont care who uses what, its hard to beat the Co-Ax for quality ammo.
    M.

Edd Panzella

I have a pair of 550b's (large primer & small primer) but still use a single stage for max accuracy rifle loads. I like to get the charges dead nutz and just don't trust thrown charges. I like to look over the loaded cases over with a flashlite while they're still in the loading block to make sure they all have powder. I'm also fussy about OAL and the proggressives seem to have more places to introduce errors. I rarely go to the range with more than 40 rounds or or shoot more than 300 rounds per month. The only exception is hunting season when I load 100 rounds from the same case batch. This gives me enough identical ammo to shoot some at the range and hunt the entire season with plenty left over for troubleshooting (rezero after dropping rifle or changing out damaged scope).