Thread: Magazine & OAL

Magazine & OAL

I'm new to this forum as well as reloading. I have a 110 Tactical in 300 Win Mag. I measure the clearance to the lands on factory ammo and it is .148. I loaded some dummy rounds up with .020 clearance and this is where the problem is. They won't fit in the magazine. They fit just fine through everything else. I also have a 300 Wby Mag and they fit the magazine just fine. I'm using 165 grain SST Hornady bullets. I've measure two ways. One with the Hornady gauge and the other with a dummy round, magic marker on bullet and then chambering it. Is there another magazine I can use. It is a hidden magazine( load through the top, unload through the top).

Wayne

Re: Magazine & OAL

Short answer is, not easily.

There are RUM length boxes around, but you'll have to do some modifications to the bottom of your action.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,11526.0.html
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Wayne,

Chances are you will be able to find a good load that fits the magazine, despite the jump to the lands.

Or if you really want to get closer to the lands, you can use a single-shot follower and load one round at a time. In that case it won't matter if COAL is longer than the magazine.

Thank you for your help. Maybe I can find one of those ultra mag magazines that will fit. My Wby is the same style for loading through the top so maybe I will remove and see if it can be modified to fit. Then just order a new one of them.

Wayne

Get your dremel ready to open up the bottom of your action.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

If that will work and just a little modifying then thats what I will do. I'll leave it to a Gun Smith so I don't do something wrong but it still would be cheaper than a new barrel. I'm snowed in today but come Monday I'll take it to the local shop and have him work his magic on it. Thank you again.
    Wayne

Tightgroups

Why do all that work and money if you dont know that ammo, that will fit wont shoot? I have a 308 that shoots great with .100 jump, fits fine in the detachable mag, and a Jam make no difference in accuracy.
    A Jam is not always the best answer for all rifles in all calibers.
    Mike.

Point well taken. I have to admit that I haven't shot this gun yet. I got it new then took it to the local Gun Smith that I use and had him fit it to me as well as some other minor things( be nice recoil pad). It would probably be wise to shoot it with my reloads first. I have shot mags before so recoil is no surprise. As priviosly stated I have a 300 Win Mag, 300 Wby Mag, 7mm Rem Mag as well as 30-06, 243 Win and a 22 rimfire. I live in NE Oklahoma and my favorite is the 243 Win. When I bought the Wby it was suppose to be a 300 Win Mag. After receiving it it turned out to be the 300 Wby Mag. Private Sale so tough luck.
    Wayne