Thread: Zhumell 25-60x80mm Spotting Scope-Un boxing and Initial Impressions

Zhumell 25-60x80mm Spotting Scope-Un boxing and Initial Impressions

This is an un-boxing and initial impressions review of the Zhumell 25-60x80mm Spotting Scope. The scope was purchased from Binoculars.com for $228.41 shipped. This seems to be the same price other online retailers are offering the scope for. I was in the market for a decent spotting scope but did not have the finances to afford a Kowa or better brand. I owned a Kowa 821n for several years and regretfully ended up having to sell it for financial reasons. After doing some searching I came
    across mention of the Zhumell. However their very few reviews and photos online of the scope to help make the decision. This review is my attempt to rectify this.

Initial Impressions

The Scope is a 25-60x80mm Spotting Scope the body is metal and the glass is bright and clear. The scope is quite heavy, weighting in at 3.85lbs (the Kowa 821n weighs 3.25 lbs for reference). It features a removable 20-60x eyepiece which appears very similar to some of the Vortex eyepieces. It has an 80mm objective lens, sun shade and rotating tripod mount.

It also includes a camo slip case that allows the scope to be used while covered. One small issue, the camo eye piece cover of the slip case snaps on by two snaps and can be completely removed, this item should have a tether to prevent loss and I will fashion one to prevent this.

Optical review

I set the scope up on my tripod and began glassing around the neighborhood. The scope was very bright and clear and had good eye relief up to about 40x and then you needed to get right on the eyepiece. The eyepiece has a rotating eye cup that allows you to spin it up and set your eye relief at various magnifications. It has been about seven years since I had my Kowa, but I recently looked through a shooters at the range and I must say that this Zhumell is close if not as good as the Kowa. Across the field from my home is a house that I had previously milled out at 350yds. In the front of that house's yard was a 10"x 10" sign asking people to "keep of the Grass" I could read this sign with no problem at all. Swinging the scope to the right, I scoped a home some 200yds more distant and was able to read the 2" numbers above the door of the house clearly, this milling out at 560yds. I have a cheaper 20x60x80mm scope that I had been using and was unable to see either of these clearly enough to read them. I have yet to take this new scope to the range but I will add that data in this location once I do.

Construction

Zhumell's site states, " this spotting scope is waterproof for all-weather capability, fog-proof to withstand quick temperature changes, nitrogen-filled to handle cold-weather condensation, and is equipped with fully multi-coated lenses". That said the physical construction seems very solid and well made. The metal housing is sturdy and gives you the feeling of quality. One small review on this scope I read complained about the construction of the tripod base as it has a web pattern supporting the tripod mounting threads. While I have not experienced any problems with this, I plan to fill the voids with a metal epoxy putty. Zhumell offers a 3-year no-fault warranty on the scope.

Value

Only time and use will tell. Once I take this to the range and see if I am able to view .30cal holes at 300yds and beyond will truly tell me if this Sub $200 scope is useful for long range shooting. With so many optics being made in the far east these days, as with most things there is overlap in the production of many products. One factory may churn out products for several different brands. Each brand my have their own quality standards. Often the same materials used in higher priced brands can be found in lesser named brands for lower cost. I hope this is the case.

Stay tuned for the range report.

Unboxing Video.

Last edited by davkenrem; 06-04-2013 at 08:56 PM.

JCalhoun
    Interesting.

Basic Member
    spotting scopes like other optics seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days.
    i guess most work well for the purpose they were intended for. that being looking at holes in a
    target at a few hundred yards at most or getting a closer look at something.
    long range hunters in pa have been using them for a different purpose for about 45 years that im
    aware of and possibly longer. that being installing two of them in an adjustable machined bracket
    and used on a tripod as very large binnoculars. some might refer to them as big eyes. not all scopes
    are suitable such as angle models. naturally most hunters are always on the prowl for better glass
    same as with guns. top end scopes such as kowa and swarovski used for these things are quite common.
    but quite frankly some old scopes like the bausch & lomb balscope or the (older) bushnell spacemaster are still quite popular.
    even some recent but older kowas will still hold their own with the top price scopes.
    set them up side by side and check them out is the only way to settle claims.
    same with guns. get it out and send a few over there and then we can talk.