Thread: Sell my 111 for a 110?

Basic Member

Sell my 111 for a 110?

I've had this Savage 111 in .308 for a while now. Sporter barrel, polymer factory stock, non-accu trigger and either a mid or full length action (not short action, even though its 308).

I ran across a Savage 110 in 30-06 recently, set up about the same except it has a factory wood (laminate?) stock with the monte carlo style cheek riser, accu trigger and some low to mid level scope.

I'm a lefty so I don't run across many lefty models used in good shape. I will mainly use it for deer and occasional elk, and yes I handload. I am obviously all tooled up for 308 but I am tooled for 30-06 as well for my M1 Garand

Basic Member
    Heck, that's easy. Keep the 308 and buy the '06! As I am sure you are aware there isn't a big difference between the two, until you get to the heavy bullets.

If one is all you can afford, there is always the re-barrel option on the model 111. All you'd need is a new magazine well and follower (unless yours does not have a spacer for the shorter round) and a new barrel. Plus the tools of course. But if you don't have all that, it might be cheaper to buy the '06.

Team Savage
    I would get the Savage 110 in 30-06 with the wood laminated stock. Become a paid member on this site to use the classified's. Then part out your Savage 111 and list in the classified on this site. The LA platform allows you to use Savage small shank barrels in both SA and LA calibers. So you could use the .308 barrel and 30-06 barrel on the same Savage 110 LA. And I think the Accutrigger is one of the best factory triggers on the market. Also, while the wood stock is going to be about 16 oz heavier than the plastic one, it should help shrink your group size. Lots of options.

rmdailey
    Or you can upgrade your stock and trigger on your 111 like me. But if you just wanting a hunting rifle it may be more cost effective to buy the '06 and sell the 308. Trading a gun with the LGS wont get you what the gun is worth. Or keep the 308 and build a nice 260 competition LR rifle. More guns is always better than the same number of guns. The only time to get rid of a rifle is if it just wont shoot IMO.

mnhntr
    I would put the money into a new stock and trigger for the .308

Basic Member
    I may even just get this and rebarrel the 111 in 243 for the wife to shoot.

Think this 110 in good shape is worth $350?

rmdailey
    It seems like a fair price for a Laminate Stock and an Accutrigger. If anything for 350 you get a savage action, accutrigger and a stock that is easily bedded. Swap out the barrel if it doesn't shoot and you'll have a Sub-MOA rifle. But I would bet it would shoot fine.

FYI. A new savage 111 like we have goes for about $350 in my area. I found one on sale for $300 after tax. I put a rifle basix in for $85 and still need to put a decent stock on to replace the tupperware. The 111Trophy Hunter (wood stock, accutrigger, DBM, Nikon Prostaff 3-9 scope) Sale new for about $550 in my area. I would pay $350 for it but I'd want a 25-06 for my next rifle.

Basic Member
    Crazy question, but are stocks and triggers for the 110 and 111 compatible? Could I potentially purchase this rifle, swap stocks and triggers and have my 308 with the wood stock and accutrigger then put my old stock and trigger on the 30-06 and sell?

Mach2
    Yep/

rmdailey
    Quote Originally Posted by bottlerocket View Post
    Crazy question, but are stocks and triggers for the 110 and 111 compatible? Could I potentially purchase this rifle, swap stocks and triggers and have my 308 with the wood stock and accutrigger then put my old stock and trigger on the 30-06 and sell?
    They are exactly the same action the 110,111,112,116, and their 10-series equivalents are the same exact action just different features (stocks, triggers, barrels). However 308's are typically built on a short action (the 10-series) a 30-06 is build on a Long-action (the 110 series). Other that that all the parts are the same.

Nandy
    Either buy the rifle and keep the one you have or just upgrade the one you have with aftermarket options which are better than oem parts. Buying one and selling the other makes absolutely no sense.