Thread: caliber change

pahermit

caliber change

Have an older 110FP in 223.Its a long action.I see savage makes a 7.62x39 rifle.Would it be possible to order the necesary parts to change mine to 7.62x39 or would it be better to sell the old 110FP and just purchase the 7.62 rifle?Don't know the price for the new rifle but I can sell my older 110FP for 500.

Is there anything in particular that attracts you to this caliber, it's a very unusual choice, and second you will not be able to buy a barrel from Savage you will have to go though a gun smith, thirdly I doubt that they will have that chambering in stock and you will wait for ever for it, "Savage want's to sell rifles not barrels" forth you would be far better off getting an aftermarket barrel they are in stock and ready to go, I would keep your rifle and update it there are a lot of option available for your rig, let us know what kind of shooting from your rifle, and maybe we can help you in the right direction, this will save you a lot of grief and aggravation and wait time, and not have to rely on false promises of delivery times.

Tanks Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 06-02-2013 at 07:30 AM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I took an older long action short cartridge rifle(flat back) from a fella on here and then bought his mcgowen barrel and put it back to gether as it was and it is a hammer with sierra 129 pro-hunters and benchmark.It is doable and fun.The only thing I would do is have mcgowen chamber a .308 bore barrel with the 7.62x39mm cartidge so you will have better bullet selection.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

thomae
    FWIW, the Savage 10FCMP in 7.62x39 has a .308 bore.

pahermit
    I guess i'm just a 7.62x39 nut.I have a cz,ak and a AR in that caliber.I also have about 10 thousand loaded rounds and several thousand bullets for that caliber.What I am trying to get is a savage in that caliber with a 20 to 24" heavy barrel.All my shooting is at 75 yards on my private range.I am retired and shooting is my pastime,its what keeps me young.Also forgot to mention I also have a mini-30.Any suggestions on how to acomplish this quest?

pahermit
    Just posted this about 5 minutes ago but looks like I lost it so I'll try again.I said that I am just a 7.62x39 nut.I have a CZ,,,,an AK...an AR and a mini-30 in that caliber.I also have about 10 thousand rounds in that caliber,also a few thousand bullets in both 311 and 308.What I want is a savage in that caliber with a 20 or 24" heavy barrel.Any sugestions on how to aquire such a rifle?I"m not inclined to do the work myself but have s smith do it for me.I have a private 75 yard range and shooting is my pastime since being retired.

That explains everything, keep what you have and get a new or used 308 cal barrel, and have it rechambered that is by far your fastest and cheapest route.

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 06-02-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spellink
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

pahermit
    wIll that work with the savage 110fp in 223? It has the long action.What about the bolt and mag?

Yes It will work with ease and the bolt head and mag are off the shelf parts either from savage or they after market IE: Midway.

Tanks Dean

thomae
    My guess is that the rounds will feed out of a long action, but I've never tried it, so that's only a guess. In my short action, there is a spacer to take up the extra room at the rear of the magazine. You certainly could do the same thing with a long action magazine.

You should get a different bolthead. AFAIK, Midway does not carry it. Sharpshooter supply used to (...and I think they still do - but you would have to check) make a PPC bolt head that fits, or you could have your LGS order the 7.62x39 bolt head from Savage. (BOLT HEAD, RH, SH, 7.62X39, BLK - P/N: 108659 $28.00 -This component is restricted to gunsmiths.)
    Last edited by thomae; 06-02-2013 at 06:36 PM.