Thread: first daya tthe range

backwoodzboy

first daya tthe range

I finally got a chance to get to the range. It was very therapeutic!!! I practiced the cleaning often between about every three shots to keep barrel cool and help with break in. I did notice a bit a chattering at the end of the barrel at the crown, that concerned me a bit. my best group of the day was very impressive though. I was using Remington brass, CCI BR2 primers, IMR4895 powder, and Sierra Matchkings 168 grain. It was a load that I used in a Remington 700 that averaged about 2649fps.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    That is impressive.
    Nicely done.
    What's the caliber on that?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

backwoodzboy

stangfish
    Good shooting. How many grains of powder?

backwoodzboy
    43.8 grains of IMR4895

stangfish
    Very close to my 43.5.
    Last edited by stangfish; 08-25-2013 at 11:08 PM.

backwoodzboy
    I can't help but wonder if increasing muzzle velocity would tighten up the groups. Non the less, I will probably dedicate some time to some serious load development. I probably won't worry about that till I think the barrel is broke in.

bodywerks
    It won't. It will just reduce the amount of drop at distance. Pushing them too fast can sometimes even hurt groups. Here's a recent group from my 338LM during my break in process. Only rounds 12-14 down the barrel and only 2625fps:

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps290ebdd0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodzboy View Post
    I finally got a chance to get to the range. It was very therapeutic!!! I practiced the cleaning often between about every three shots to keep barrel cool and help with break in. I did notice a bit a chattering at the end of the barrel at the crown, that concerned me a bit. my best group of the day was very impressive though. I was using Remington brass, CCI BR2 primers, IMR4895 powder, and Sierra Matchkings 168 grain. It was a load that I used in a Remington 700 that averaged about 2649fps.
    NICE SHOOTING! Both you and Bodywerks. A guy once told me accurate guns stretch and hone your ability. Just starting to reload myself at the ripe old age of 57! Praying that this old dog WILL learn some new "Tricks"...Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!