Thread: % of reduction?

Basic Member

% of reduction?

I just started shooting F Class in January. The load I worked out for my Savage .223 w/Shilen 28" 1/7 barrel is a max load (25.0gr)of Varget under a Berger 80gr VLD. The OAL is just kissing the lands. This load will shoot sub MOA at 500 meters, easily.

I live in South Texas, where it's already gettin hot. I understand that Varget is supposed to be temperature stable, but I'm wondering just how much reduction will make it safe if I start to see pressure signs. Are we talking 1/2 grain, 1.0 gr, or what??? How much does it take to make a difference, generally?
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

dont sweat it. its stable. Ive been using varget for the past 15yrs and its never showed signs of increased pressure due to heat exposure. course, ive never left the ammo box just sit and bake in the 100dg heat either, but I seroiusly dought you will either.
    here in southwest texas, the winters run down to 20,s and the summers 100 plus.
    you defently got some umph behind those 80,s though. i run horn. 75gr with 23.5 of varget. 75 being the heaviest i shoot.
    those berger projectiles are well worth the cost if you got them deep pockets

are those the same as the berger full-bore match bullets which are also 80 gr?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    dont sweat it. its stable. Ive been using varget for the past 15yrs and its never showed signs of increased pressure due to heat exposure. course, ive never left the ammo box just sit and bake in the 100dg heat either, but I seroiusly dought you will either.
    here in southwest texas, the winters run down to 20,s and the summers 100 plus.
    you defently got some umph behind those 80,s though. i run horn. 75gr with 23.5 of varget. 75 being the heaviest i shoot.
    those berger projectiles are well worth the cost if you got them deep pockets
    LOL...no, I won't be leaving them in the sun to bake.
    Interesting, your 23.5gr Varget & 75gr bullet is way shy of max (25.0), but if that's what your rifle likes....
    My max Varget charge is also 25.0, but that's because it's understood that an 80 or 90gr bullet will have a longer OAL, it can't be loaded to magazine length. I single load this rifle for F Class, so no biggie. I also have a .223 Wylde chamber. Got that specifically because I wanted to shoot heavy bullets, so that helps reduce pressure. From all my load development, I've found that the Bergers like to be pushed...hard. I'm safe where I'm at, but I know it's absolute maximum, thus my hot weather concern.
    FWIW, my 80gr VLD's and 25.0 Varget = 3050fps. Yeah...that's smokin!! But, no pressure issues.

Thermaler....no, the VLD is not the same as the full bore bullet.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

roger that