Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More 17 Hornet blues

leo158

Quote Originally Posted by Big Old Boy View Post
    glad I did not find one now. I'll get a ruger.
    NO!!!! I waited for the savages to come out. After seeing the ruger I figured I would wait till one hit the local shelf. I thought it looked way better than savages also. Well I picked one up along with a case of ammo that took another 2 weeks to find after purchase of gun. I ran 3 boxes through the Ruger (75 rnds). My groups was over 2 inches at 100yrds. For almost 800$,no this is not going to work.
    I have the dies,bullets but no powder. I want MOA with factory ammo from this new gun I bought. After further inspection,I noticed my primers where easing out a little. Not bad,but could feel them with a credit card when scratched the bottom of the cases. I called ruger and told them the problem. They wanted my rifle returned to them to check it out. They sent Post paid label to my email.I shipped my rifle to them. They recieved my rifle on may 31. I called them the week of june 17th. They have not even looked at my rifle yet. I called them the following week on a wedsday the 26th, They have just started to look at my gun that morning the woman had said after I gave her my RMA number I think it was. She said we will let you know by email by friday the 28th. I checked my email fri evening nothing. I waited till yesterday the 3rd of july to call them. Guess what,They are on vacation till monday the 8th. That is uncalled for. I wish I would of done more reviews on the ruger. I would not of touched that rifle. I just ordered a CZ varmint in the 17 hornet and it should be here in 2 weeks.
    I just hope I can get the ruger to shoot better than MOA as some have done with reloads. The 2 piece bolt is what is said to be the accuracy issues with the ruger 77. And also after like 3 or 4 rounds the bolt also got sticky a bit. I am pretty sure I got it cleaned out well,dont think its from the factor lube in the chamber that was making it stick. But anyway,I would suggest also to stay away from the rugers 77. The rotary mag worked great though.

Also replaced that heavy weight trigger with a brownell adjustable trigger. Breaks clean at about 2lbs but still have 2 inch 100 yrd groups.
    Last edited by leo158; 07-05-2013 at 03:21 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leo158 View Post
    NO!!!! I waited for the savages to come out. After seeing the ruger I figured I would wait till one hit the local shelf. I thought it looked way better than savages also. Well I picked one up along with a case of ammo that took another 2 weeks to find after purchase of gun. I ran 3 boxes through the Ruger (75 rnds). My groups was over 2 inches at 100yrds. For almost 800$,no this is not going to work.
    I have the dies,bullets but no powder. I want MOA with factory ammo from this new gun I bought. After further inspection,I noticed my primers where easing out a little. Not bad,but could feel them with a credit card when scratched the bottom of the cases. I called ruger and told them the problem. They wanted my rifle returned to them to check it out. They sent Post paid label to my email.I shipped my rifle to them. They recieved my rifle on may 31. I called them the week of june 17th. They have not even looked at my rifle yet. I called them the following week on a wedsday the 26th, They have just started to look at my gun that morning the woman had said after I gave her my RMA number I think it was. She said we will let you know by email by friday the 28th. I checked my email fri evening nothing. I waited till yesterday the 3rd of july to call them. Guess what,They are on vacation till monday the 8th. That is uncalled for. I wish I would of done more reviews on the ruger. I would not of touched that rifle. I just ordered a CZ varmint in the 17 hornet and it should be here in 2 weeks.
    I just hope I can get the ruger to shoot better than MOA as some have done with reloads. The 2 piece bolt is what is said to be the accuracy issues with the ruger 77. And also after like 3 or 4 rounds the bolt also got sticky a bit. I am pretty sure I got it cleaned out well,dont think its from the factor lube in the chamber that was making it stick. But anyway,I would suggest also to stay away from the rugers 77. The rotary mag worked great though.

Also replaced that heavy weight trigger with a brownell adjustable trigger. Breaks clean at about 2lbs but still have 2 inch 100 yrd groups.
    Before I bought my Savage 40 22 Hornet I looked long and hard for a M25 22 Hornet. They were as scarce as hen's teeth. Actually to this day I have yet to see one in person. I know a local guy who owned one and never fired it. It was a walking varminter and he liked his 40's better.

Anyway I started to look into other options. I asked about CZ's, no one had any, new, used, whatever. So I saw my favorite local shop got in a used 77/22H sporter barrel and I talked to the owner about it. He knew I had been wanting a 22H rifle especially since I had a revolver too. He told me, and I have others tell me since, the 22 hornet Ruger 77 is a iffy buy. Some shoot awesome, some pattern instead of group, others shoot "OK" but (the owner continued) the 77 hornets usually always get traded back in. I am with you the 77/17H is a sexy gun with the gray finish & camo laminate but you would have better chance hitting a woodchuck with a lawn dart at 100 yards than how that shoots. Don't waste any more money on that gun...GunBroker it. Anyway the shop owner told me if I wanted an accurate 22 Hornet to get a Savage or a CZ. Honestly the minor issues with the M25 are more irritating than anything, they do shoot awesome though and my M40 has taken woodchucks at a distance. The 1 was 189 yards lasered, the other was walked out and guestimated to be 200yd with cheap factory loads. I have yet to take it out with Hornady Vmax and it shoots THE BEST with that.

Let us know about the CZ because I found a new 22H locally and one used not to far away.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

XNAVYORDIE
    Still waiting for Savage to call me back about my rifle. I didn't get it sent in until a few weeks ago. Apparently, when I called to inquire about it they were "closed" until July 15th. So I should be hearing something soon....

Interesting thing is when I initially called Savage the CS Rep went through the typical banter and when I told her the caliber was was 17 Hornet she seemed to quickly end the conversation by saying "box it up and send it back". Click. Done. Something tells me they are a little tired of hearing 17 Hornet complaints....

When I get this thing back I'm giving it "one" chance....if it still screws the pooch it will be up for sale....as if anybody would want a M25 17Hornet now with all the bad press.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XNAVYORDIE View Post
    Still waiting for Savage to call me back about my rifle. I didn't get it sent in until a few weeks ago. Apparently, when I called to inquire about it they were "closed" until July 15th. So I should be hearing something soon....

Interesting thing is when I initially called Savage the CS Rep went through the typical banter and when I told her the caliber was was 17 Hornet she seemed to quickly end the conversation by saying "box it up and send it back". Click. Done. Something tells me they are a little tired of hearing 17 Hornet complaints....

When I get this thing back I'm giving it "one" chance....if it still screws the pooch it will be up for sale....as if anybody would want a M25 17Hornet now with all the bad press.
    Oh heck I'd buy another. I am looking for a M25 22H too while I am at it. I did find out that even though the 204 & 223 mag is the same, the 22 Hornet & 17 Hornet are different. I ordered a spare 17H mag yesterday.

XNAVYORDIE
    Well my Hornet is in transit......I called Savage again and they said it was shipped out yesterday....wouldn't say what was wrong or what was done...but no charge....hope this thing will run normal now.

Quote Originally Posted by XNAVYORDIE View Post

Amen to that! I was thinking of getting one but not now.......

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Amen to that! I was thinking of getting one but not now.......
    I have no problems with my model 25's (yes plural) I own 3. Other than the standard shoots why high or way right which was easily corrected with EGW bases.

There is only a handful of people having issues. I am not a lucky person and I haven't had these problems, don't write off a Model 25 yet.

davemuzz
    Yeah…..I dunno. I'm taking mine to deer camp this weekend and in the evening I hope to call in some fox or a coyote and put the smack down on 'em. Of course, I'm also hoping a fox or coyote will be around to call in!!!

Dave

leo158
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    Before I bought my Savage 40 22 Hornet I looked long and hard for a M25 22 Hornet. They were as scarce as hen's teeth. Actually to this day I have yet to see one in person. I know a local guy who owned one and never fired it. It was a walking varminter and he liked his 40's better.

Anyway I started to look into other options. I asked about CZ's, no one had any, new, used, whatever. So I saw my favorite local shop got in a used 77/22H sporter barrel and I talked to the owner about it. He knew I had been wanting a 22H rifle especially since I had a revolver too. He told me, and I have others tell me since, the 22 hornet Ruger 77 is a iffy buy. Some shoot awesome, some pattern instead of group, others shoot "OK" but (the owner continued) the 77 hornets usually always get traded back in. I am with you the 77/17H is a sexy gun with the gray finish & camo laminate but you would have better chance hitting a woodchuck with a lawn dart at 100 yards than how that shoots. Don't waste any more money on that gun...GunBroker it. Anyway the shop owner told me if I wanted an accurate 22 Hornet to get a Savage or a CZ. Honestly the minor issues with the M25 are more irritating than anything, they do shoot awesome though and my M40 has taken woodchucks at a distance. The 1 was 189 yards lasered, the other was walked out and guestimated to be 200yd with cheap factory loads. I have yet to take it out with Hornady Vmax and it shoots THE BEST with that.

Let us know about the CZ because I found a new 22H locally and one used not to far away.
    CZ is is a huge improvement over the ruger. No problems with it and shoots as they claim. The set trigger is sweet also but I grew still love the accu triggers on the savages. CZ well worth the money. Its the varmint model with 24 inch barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leo158 View Post
    CZ is is a huge improvement over the ruger. No problems with it and shoots as they claim. The set trigger is sweet also but I grew still love the accu triggers on the savages. CZ well worth the money. Its the varmint model with 24 inch barrel.
    Unfortunately they do not offer a heavy barrel 22 Hornet and when there is a new or used 22 Hornet in a CZ it is either priced stupid or it is gone in a heart's beat if it is priced right.

I highly doubt the CZ is more accurate than my Savage 40 though.

Dummos
    I've had zero issues with my .17 hornet after aprox 300 rounds shoots .5 groups at 100 all day off a cheap bipod. Mine is the walking varminter with the 20" heavier barrel

mine shoots factory hornady ammo regularly like this.

XNAVYORDIE
    Yes they are accurate. I have no complaints there. Factory gives me no issue now. Loaded some 23GR WCD and the bolt would stick. Tried some 25GR WCD and the entire mag cycled. At 100yds they all hit within a 1 inch shoot-n-c paster.....popped several GHOGS this summer....with only exceptions being the 23GR loads. Hopefully the 25's will be the ticket this predator season.

No problems with mine

Wow, so many people with M25 problems. I'm lucky I guess. Got mine almost two years ago in .17 hornet and have over a 1000 rounds through it. It really does a number on sage rats out to 200 yards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12