Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The purpose of a recoil lug

pitsnipe

Frank,

I admire you from afar. I dont care WHAT muzz sayz about you. OK, maybe nothin. Hate those "extra parts" like when yer buildin the kids bike on Christmas Eve and didnt know that they included a few extra nuts or bolts because the directions applied to SEVERAL models of that Wall Mart special. Details, details.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by pitsnipe View Post
    Frank,

I admire you from afar. I dont care WHAT muzz sayz about you. OK, maybe nothin. Hate those "extra parts" like when yer buildin the kids bike on Christmas Eve and didnt know that they included a few extra nuts or bolts because the directions applied to SEVERAL models of that Wall Mart special. Details, details.
    I believe there's 2 types of extra parts.....
    Type 1 - Critical / totally necessary parts
    Type 2 - Those parts leftover & deemed useless by the assembler.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

MrMajestic
    If you put something together and have hardware left but it works, It was over-engineered!

Edwards
    Thanks Frank...if not for ur info I and others may have ended with the same dirty drawers.

I started removing wood dor the lug and ran into wait looks to an alum bed. Gonna call Boyd Monday for more info. About the tacticool

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMajestic View Post
    If you put something together and have hardware left but it works, It was over-engineered!
    EXACTLY!!!!!!

And, by the way, little things like what I mentioned earlier, as well as a few other boo - boos along the way have taught me to always exercise extreme caution. Look at things from the simplest angle first & NEVER lose sight of the fact that your rifle (or pistol) utilizes a controlled explosion to send the projectile.
    And you're holding it 4 inches from your face.
    Check things thoroughly. Check then, check again. No room to screw up. You could be seriously injured like getting hit in the mug with a scope still attached to a receiver.....

davemuzz
    Or worse!!.....You could get a sever case of scope eye from a scope that somehow got detached from a receiver for no apparent reason. Like.....I thought I tightened those screws???.....OR...Do you know how far a loose scope can fly from a 30-06 recoil?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Or worse!!.....You could get a sever case of scope eye from a scope that somehow got detached from a receiver for no apparent reason. Like.....I thought I tightened those screws???.....OR...Do you know how far a loose scope can fly from a 30-06 recoil?
    Can't say I've ever launched a scope before. I did have some mounting screws come loose just enough to drive me crazy. Each shot was a minimum of 3 inches away from the previous shot. Using ammo that was known to be accurate.

Team Savage
    Got a weird one. Browning blr 243 dednutz scope mount, 2nd shot the screws sheared off even with the top of the receiver, IE buried.
    Scope lifted off in mid shot but no scope eye.

My dad dropped it on the scope a few years ago, and I can only think that it must have fractured the screws. Dednutz said if you over torque the heads will twist off and he said he had never heard of base screws shearing like that.

Edwards
    So I've removed the the material for the recoil lug ...I know I am going to glass bed the action.....while drilling the hole for the front action screw, I found that the material in the mag well was thinner than I thought.

My two thoughts
    1. Wood filler to fill in existing 5" action hole as well as the front portion of the mag well. Then drill front action and prep for bedding.
    2. Bed the action as is and the portion of the mag well. Once bedding is done then drill for the front action.

Who's done it correctly and who's made some mistakes. Thanks guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12