Thread: Some discussion on the 7mm Rem Mag vs 30.06

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Some discussion on the 7mm Rem Mag vs 30.06

This is more of a question I have on the 7mm Remington Magnum.
    Those of you that have a Lyman reloading manual, have a look at the criteria for both calibers. Use the 150gr bullet for an example....

What I'm needing to know is this:

Considering the difference in velocity (based on the Lyman Manual), is it really worth the extra 7 to 8gr of propellant for an extra 100 to 200fps? Or, am I not seeing something y'all are.

I have plenty 'o 7mm RM brass, 7mm bullets & a couple new 7mm RM barrels. I've had a hankering for a magnum shooter but just can't seem to justify using all that additional powder for the extra 100 to 200fps.

Consider the usage of the rifle. I shoot target & the occasional animal. Here in Fla. a shot of over 300 to 400yds is not likely. Especially in my area.

SO...
    Why would you want the extra recoil & powder usage when the '06 will do it as well, just a snootch slower.

Someone clear up this great mystery of life. Please & thank you.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

jb6.5
    Efficiency. Just like a 308 runs neck and neck with a 30 06 with lighter end bullets and only just over 10% less than a 300 win mag. According to Nosler. Go figure.

Basic Member
    Something else I noticed.
    The 7mm RM has no reloading info for bullets over 175gr whereas the '06 can be set up for up to 220gr.

I guess it's just "one of those things"...
    The manufacturers make whatever sells.

jb6.5
    I have a 7 mag, mostly shoot 140's. A 7 08 will hang very close in fps shooting 120' s. Don't make since.

Hey Frank I would say that for hunting you want every advantage you can get, so yes the 7-8gr for 100 to 200 fps is worth it, I would not go out and buy the stuff but you already own it, for target - varmint and plinking 300 to 400 yards 06 all the way.

Spanky
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Once you get over 168gr bullets fps gain is hard to come by, my 300 RUM hold literally twice as much powder as my 308, 100gr for the RUM compared to 50gr for the 308, and even with twice the powder charge there is only a 500fps increase, 3000fps for the 308 and 3500 fps for the RUM with the 168gr bullets, now using light bullets like 110gr Vmax's that's a different story, there is a 1000 FPS spread 3500fps for the 308 VS 4500 for the RUM, hope this helps.

Spanky
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Well, pretty much as I suspected, it's kinda one of those preference things. I swear by the 30.06 & 25.06, others wouldn't throw rocks at them.

Some live by the 300 WSM, & my brother in law has one he keeps trying to give me because he hates it....

Some like the .22LR, some like the 50BMG..... Variety. It's the spice of life.
    One thing I noticed with the 7mm RM.... Guys at the range shooting them, they sure do go *BOOM* when they get fired. Listening to the grunting & groaning from recoil pain is kinda sorta amusing, too.
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 05-31-2013 at 02:39 PM.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    I swear by the 30.06 & 25.05, others wouldn't throw rocks at them.
    "25-05, 25-06, whatever it takes."

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Something else I noticed.
    The 7mm RM has no reloading info for bullets over 175gr whereas the '06 can be set up for up to 220gr.

I guess it's just "one of those things"...
    The manufacturers make whatever sells.
    North American brown bear hunters used to favor 240 grain 30-06 rounds IIRC.

In the research I did for cartridge selection recently, I came to the conclusion the strong suits of the 7mm were very high BC without really really long bullets which translated into delivering good energy very far downrange (800+ yards.)
    Last edited by rattfink; 05-31-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Basic Member
    well frank since you live in florida and see lots of boats heres another analogy.
    a 22' boat with a single outboard might go say 40 mph. add a second motor and you might gain another 5 mph.
    how many boats are you seeing here with 3 motors and some with 4?
    how come none, spelled none of the serious off shore and tournament fisherman are using 20 footers with one engine?
    no doubt for what you do the guns you use fit the bill very nicely. there would be no reason for you to need a 7 mag.
    ive owned several 7 mags but no longer own one. they simply arent enough gun for what i enjoy doing.
    there comes a point where size and cost are secondary to what your goals are.
    if it takes 4 big engines to get there so be it.
    were either going or were not.
    that coming from a guy with a 17 footer with a single 90 by the way.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    "25-05, 25-06, whatever it takes."
    Are you trying to make fun of me? Did you EVER hear me say anything about knowing how to type? And if you're trying to hurt my feelings, fuggeddaaboutit. I ain't got none.
    So Nyahh nyahh.nyahh....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    well frank since you live in florida and see lots of boats heres another analogy.
    a 22' boat with a single outboard might go say 40 mph. add a second motor and you might gain another 5 mph.
    how many boats are you seeing here with 3 motors and some with 4?
    how come none, spelled none of the serious off shore and tournament fisherman are using 20 footers with one engine?
    no doubt for what you do the guns you use fit the bill very nicely. there would be no reason for you to need a 7 mag.
    ive owned several 7 mags but no longer own one. they simply arent enough gun for what i enjoy doing.
    there comes a point where size and cost are secondary to what your goals are.
    if it takes 4 big engines to get there so be it.
    were either going or were not.
    that coming from a guy with a 17 footer with a single 90 by the way.
    That's a pretty good comparison. I was kinda sorta wondering if there was some ballistic reason or maybe a scientific reason on why things are the way they are. As far as the 7mm rounds, I had much success & fun with the 7mm-08. It felt like a whole 'nuther type of shooter compared to a 308.

Basic Member
    BC and sectional density are much better for the 7mm bullets of the same weight vs .308 bullets; I think it was Germain Salizar who said something like "muzzle velocity is temporary but BC lasts forever". On the other hand the large bores like 338-06 have comparable velocity when shooting heavy bullets, but with less powder than something like a 300 Win Mag (look up a comparison of each for 225gr). For long range shooting the 7mm will excel on paper; I'm not sure in practice how much of that is real.