I'm not sure if this belongs in the wildcat forum or here, but thought I'd run this up the flag pole. You may be called to testify at my sanity hearing.

I want to try a big but slow brush load that doesn't punish my shoulder. I have been seriously pursuing the 358 Winchester until I read an article about the 458x2 . So, here is the rambling of someone stuck indoors too long.

You can buy pre-fit 458 win mag barrels for a savage action. I've read the 458x2 is simply a 458 win mag shortened by a half inch. Can you envision having a 458 win mag barrel shortened 1/2 inch at the breech to accommodate the 458x2 American? I'm betting there is 1/2 inch of excess thread at the nut end, or perhaps enough that when combined with a shortened nut, would headspace. These pre-fit barrels are considerably less expensive than having a custom barrel made to order and much less than a 2XL straitjacket.

Does anyone have any experience with the 458 pre-fit barrel kit that Brownells and others sell? Can you tell me whether it is a small or large shank?

Does this even sound feasible or has cabin fever taken its toll? We got up to a balmy Zero again today.

Hoot