Thread: Export Problems With Sightron Riflescopes?

max

Export Problems With Sightron Riflescopes?

I'm thinking of buying a Sightron SIIISS832XLRFC scope. The manufacturer lists a dozen or so dealers here in Canada but none of them either carry or can get them owing to a lack of a distributor. In checking some of the U.S. websites, I notice that many of them will not export scopes. Is this a state thing or is it a federal restriction? If anyone knows of a way to resolve this problem I'd appreciate knowing the answer.

Re: Export Problems With Sightron Riflescopes?

It's a federal thing, ever since 911.

What I do is have my scopes sent to my U.S. address then just drive across and pick it up. When I get to the Canada border they ask what I got and I show them the scope. No problem go ahead......

I don't get it, you can't have one shipped to you but you can bring it across by yourself.
    Savage- "never say never".

Don - LongRangeSupply

The problem is with "military" type reticles.

Mil Dot / Ranging etc.

If you carry one across the border that has one of the restricted reticles in it, even if they let you, you are in my understanding breaking US Law.

AFAIK - regular hunting reticles are not restricted.

See, never knew anything about that but then again I've never bought a scope with a military reticle. All my scopes are Redfield 3-9X or 2-7X steel scopes for my 99's.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Apparently any optical sight for a firearm, "tactical" flashlights even if they don't attach to a gun, and a lot more items are now regulated. It depends on what country it is going to whether a license is required and whether it can or cannot be exported to that country.

I was not able to find an easy to understand list of what can be exported and to where. (no big surprise there)

davemhughes

I can understand the Feds not trusting the Canadians with these type scopes. Just too dangerous.

They only trust the Canadians to design, built, install, and repair very complex, secret, and national security dependent items for our fighters, bombers, ships, and our space program. Never mind that they jointly run NORAD and share duties in not pushing the button on those nuclear missiles.

I spent quite a bit of time with Canadian Military personnel so I'm biased. Just a dumb @ss law as it pertains to scopes.

I'm wondering if they just made that law to shut up some lobby group cause I always declare what I'm picking up on the U.S. side to the U.S. customs guards and they've never told me I can't go get that.

Basic Member

Exporting to Canada can be 2 fold. Firearms have to go through the State Dept paperwork. Scopes are considered "sighting devices" and have to go through the Dept of Commerce. Go figure.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

I have a friend in Canada I buy from Midway USA and have it shipped to a NY address he crosses the border and picks it up never had a problem so far. I guess it comes down to what you are transporting across the border. Stupid People, Stupid laws. Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust

I sold a VLP stock to a guy from Canada about a year ago. I told him he'd have to pay for shipping. Well, I went to the PO to get the shipping info and got handed a paper to fill out (guess for like a customs station), was told that I cannot insure the item since it is handed over to a different postal carrier, and cannot do a delivery confirmation(understandable for same reason). The shipping cost on my end was I believe around $40, with no guarantee it would ever get there, and no insurance to cover it if it dont.

For some strange reason the guy was still OK with it and agreed, and also said he has to pay a shipping charge on his end that would be atleast $40 if not more.

Took him 3 weeks to get me the money, and it took the stock over a month to get to him. It was just a total PITA and I wont do it again, but atleast he got it.

If companies have to go thru that maybe that is why most wont ship there.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Peter_Kirch

Anything that is on the US munitions list cannot be exported. Also some companies just don't bother with the hassle of international trade.

here you go.

http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/offdocs/itar/p121.htm

"Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications, and specifically designed or modified components therefor; firearm silencers and suppressors, including flash suppressors."

fatrack

Most firearms related items can no longer go overseas from the US without the proper paperwork (not even the $100 or less exception). If I want the tiniest spring for my Savage I have to have one these special export permits. This paperwork includes ridiculous fees and I no longer bother trying to order from Midway, Natchez etc. The Dept. of Commerce or whoever made an example of Bass Pro Shops and fined them several hundred thousand for breaking these rules. The good news is I will sleep better at night knowing the world is a safer place due to these regulations.