Thread: 5.45 x 39 Russian Discussion

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

5.45 x 39 Russian Discussion

Finding factory ammo here in east coast central Fla is hit & miss. Every once in a while the local guy comes up with a few odd boxes of common calibers but that's it.
    I did notice he had a good selection of 300wsm & 243wssm. Occasionally he'll save me a few boxes of 7.62 & 5.45 x 39 to add to stash for my commie guns.
    Ya know..... I can't remember the last time I bought any factory ammo.... Maybe some 12ga stuff to add to the stash but regular cartridge ammo.... Can't recall.
    And therm, the '06 - both 25 & 30 are not that much more to reload for. Compared to the big magnums....

Have a good holiday gents' I have to go warm up the smoker for when my free loading relatives come over to mooch a free meal, a free swim & trash my yard.
    Dosvidaniya, comrades.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

You have a good one too. BTW that commie 5.45x 39--what do you use it for? I looked at some the other day and I was told it was the commie-block version of NATO 5.56 but have never heard of anyone firing it out of an AR.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    You have a good one too. BTW that commie 5.45x 39--what do you use it for? I looked at some the other day and I was told it was the commie-block version of NATO 5.56 but have never heard of anyone firing it out of an AR.
    Don't.
    You're looking at the difference between a 5.56 & a 5.45....
    A subtle difference I agree but if it were me, only if it was a fight or die situation.
    I use anything I can get my grubby little mits on. Golden Tiger, Bear, Russian mil-surp / non-corrosive, etc. it'll shoot most anything.
    Besides, I opened a few 5.45x39 rounds & I've NEVER seen powder that looked like that. Not only did it look "unusual" but it smelled funny, too.
    As long as it goes BANG when the trigger is pulled & the bullet comes out the hole in the end of the barrel, that's the far end, not the close end, it'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Don't.
    You're looking at the difference between a 5.56 & a 5.45....
    A subtle difference I agree but if it were me, only if it was a fight or die situation.
    I use anything I can get my grubby little mits on. Golden Tiger, Bear, Russian mil-surp / non-corrosive, etc. it'll shoot most anything.
    Besides, I opened a few 5.45x39 rounds & I've NEVER seen powder that looked like that. Not only did it look "unusual" but it smelled funny, too.
    As long as it goes BANG when the trigger is pulled & the bullet comes out the hole in the end of the barrel, that's the far end, not the close end, it'll work.
    Found it--a spin-off of 5.56 into the AK family--the AK 74 http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=482
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    AK 74... That's right. Russia's answer to the 5.56 Nato. Nice little caliber. I mean, as far as little calibers go. Also known as the poison bullet as it was found to yaw heavily upon impact of a soft target.

Comrade Kalashnikov knew what he was doing when he came up with these in 1947. If the Russian's knew how to fight with them, we might all be growing potatoes & drinking vodka.
    Back to tending the smoker. By the time the meat's done, I'll be too tired to want to eat it.