Thread: CHARGE WEIGHTS

CHARGE WEIGHTS

I have seen on here and on other forums that most people are in a hurry when reloading and want to do as many as possible in the shortest amount of time,and are looking for good consistent, accurate loads.
    Now it is possible that I am to old school and just a little annal but I believe the one thing I don't want to hurry is my reloading process. I do not use a powder thrower any more and I weigh every charge out with a electronic powder drop and digital scale checking every fifth one on a balance scale, keeping my loads to +/- .1 grain for the best possible accuracy.
    If you are going to go to the expense of getting match barrels then match grade bullets and spending the time to site everything in for the smallest groups you can get, whats the hurry?
    Anyone want to try and explain this to me.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Dirk

Re: CHARGE WEIGHTS

How many rounds do you reload in a month? If you shoot F-class and XTC then you don't need the smallest groups, just the highest score! Time is the issue.

I do not shot f class or any other competitions but when I sit down to reload it is usually 5-600 rounds of different calibers plus 3 different guage shotgun shells,2-300 and I still believe in taking my time.
    Speed usually equates to mistakes and the last place I want an oops is at the firing line.
    FROGGY

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy

I do not use a powder thrower any more and I weigh every charge out with a electronic powder drop and digital scale
    why, you in a hurry? the beam and a tickler would be more accurate. instead of letting one slip through.

LOL just half kidding.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Tightgroups

I only reload about 3 to 400 rounds a month, all 6BR, 22BR and 308, and I take my time, and try to make every round as close to the rest of the batch as possible. I do use a powder thrower, but set it about .3g light, then trickle every load on a Pack electronic scale, using my "load test weights" to check the scale after every 3 or 4 round.
    I own two electronic and two beam scales, plus I have a set of certified test weights, I use to make my load test weights with, then check then on at least two different scales, and one will be a beam scale. So I know all loads are well within .1g down to .05g or better.
    I also check every loaded round for its case, neck and bullets concentricity, and adjust any that are out over a few .000, and most end up under .001 run-out taken at the worst possible place, just back of the bullets meplet. If a loaded case is out say .002 at the front end of the neck, it will be out .010+ at the bullets meplet.
    Of course I weigh all brass and bullets, and take a reading to the rifles lands every reloading day, and seat my bullets accordingly.
    I know some will say I'm anal about all this, but I'm retired, its my hobby, I have the time, and I love it, and believe it shows up on the targets. I dont even mind doing the brass prep.
    And am looking for some young guy, thats interested enough in shooting to come to my reloading room and ill teach him what I know about reloading for free, Ive been reloading since 1966. But its vary hard to find any young guy (Kid over 18) interested to learn. And that scares me about the future of this hobby.
    Mike.

Mike I too am retired and it is now my hobby for the winter months.
    My point here is I/we always read about inconsistency or mis fires or over pressure under pressure, and I believe it boils down to speed and a lack of attention. I would almost be willing to bet that the same people with all the problems have the radio or tv or a cell phone going while trying to load. When I was shown the basics the one thing the old timer stressed was pay attention to what you are doing.
    At the range where I do most of my shooting the few accidents we have had were from beginners, fortunately there have been no injuries, but it has made a few of us older guys stay away on certain days and at certain times.Now I try to go in the morning during the week so no one else is there and Sunday mornings for clay shooting with more experienced shooters.
    FROGGY

dsculley

I was told once that you can have any thing you want, you just can't have everything you want. I take that one step farther and tell my son that you can do anything you want, you just can't do everything you want. Time is more precious than money. While time may be an issue, it only becomes a major issue if we try to do more than we really have time to do. I an new to reloading. I use a single stage press. I use a powder thrower set a bit light, weigh the loads on a balance scale, then adjust to the desired load weight. I don't allow any distractions such as TV, radio, other people or pets. If I don't have time to do this the way I want, I will wait and reload another day. This is MY time and I intend to enjoy it. I you tell yourself that accuracy only has to be this or that, so variance is ok, sooner or later that variance will increase and put you out of the competition. Remember, aim small, shoot small. I think this goes for reloading too. Aim for small variances and your ammo is better.

Tightgroups

One of the first things I learned about reloading years ago, is to never shoot someone else's hand loads, or offer yours to them, for that matter. I dont think its considered good shooting practice. How do you know what, or how much is in someone else's reloads? The fact is, you dont. Now if you know the re-loader, and you trust your hands, arms and eyes, not to mention your gun, to his ability to details, go for it. If he made a mistake, someone will call 9-11 for you. JMO
    Take care and shoot safe.
    Mike.

Being retired (sort of, work part time in a gun shop for hobby money) I can devote a lot of time to reloading and shooting (weather permitting). I weigh all my charges after fully preping my brass. I'm fortunate to have a friend with a 1k range in south Georgia so I get to shoot long range quite regular. I've been surprised to find that loads which were so so at 100 yards turned out to be killer accurate at the longer ranges. The quest for bug hole accuracy has me hooked.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

1Shot

..I weigh every charge on the old beam scale & check oal lenght with a comp...Full brass prep...Anything with over .002 variance in seating depth gets set aside for plinking...

marcp

Quote Originally Posted by Tightgroups
    I only reload about 3 to 400 rounds a month, all 6BR, 22BR and 308, and I take my time, and try to make every round as close to the rest of the batch as possible. I do use a powder thrower, but set it about .3g light, then trickle every load on a Pack electronic scale, using my "load test weights" to check the scale after every 3 or 4 round.
    I own two electronic and two beam scales, plus I have a set of certified test weights, I use to make my load test weights with, then check then on at least two different scales, and one will be a beam scale. So I know all loads are well within .1g down to .05g or better.
    I also check every loaded round for its case, neck and bullets concentricity, and adjust any that are out over a few .000, and most end up under .001 run-out taken at the worst possible place, just back of the bullets meplet. If a loaded case is out say .002 at the front end of the neck, it will be out .010+ at the bullets meplet.
    Of course I weigh all brass and bullets, and take a reading to the rifles lands every reloading day, and seat my bullets accordingly.
    I know some will say I'm anal about all this, but I'm retired, its my hobby, I have the time, and I love it, and believe it shows up on the targets. I dont even mind doing the brass prep.
    And am looking for some young guy, thats interested enough in shooting to come to my reloading room and ill teach him what I know about reloading for free, Ive been reloading since 1966. But its vary hard to find any young guy (Kid over 18) interested to learn. And that scares me about the future of this hobby.
    Mike.
    Where are you located Mike. I'd gladly learn! ;D

Tightgroups

Are you familiar with California? If not the travel costs might be prohibitive, especially if you want to learn all I know, that could take 2 or maybe even 3 hrs. ;D
    M.

marcp

Quote Originally Posted by Tightgroups
    Are you familiar with California? If not the travel costs might be prohibitive, especially if you want to learn all I know, that could take 2 or maybe even 3 hrs. ;D
    M.
    I am familiar with California, familiar enough to know it's about 3000 miles away! :D I'm in Connecticut unfortunately, could be a tough drive!

Marcp reloading is a learning curve done mostly by yourself. Trial and hopefully no error. When I started some 40 years ago it was at the kitchen table with a Lee hand held, dipper and a dead blow hammer, and crossed fingers.
    When I bought my first house then I set up a small area with a rock chucker kit some dies and it has grown from there. Now that I am retired I do a lot more experimenting but once I find a good accurate load that's it I stop there.
    First thing I would suggest join the paid group here so you can access the archives, then get a couple of reference books and read them through(differring opinions).Then be prepared to spend lots of time at the range and most of your spare cash on components, find quite time and go to town.
    Connecticut isn't so bad, but know with getting older I am beginning to think Florida is looking nice, especially with what is coming tomorrow.
    FROGGY

Tightgroups

I feel for all you guys back east with this whether, about all you can do is reload, and plan on what your going to shoot on your next range trip. Now on the right (West) coast, its been rain, and cool, like lows of 50 and highs of only 60, and we think thats no fun. So its all in what your use to. But today its nice and sunny, and might make it up to 65+. It would be a great day to go shooting.