Thread: moly as bullet lube?

Basic Member

moly as bullet lube?

i was on reloadersauction's web sight and someone was selling handguns bullets w/ moly as the lube, i've got the lee non swag molds and was wondering if that was an acceptable practice as i am already set up to moly bullets....
    God still loves you,   yep even on them days....

Re: moly as bullet lube?

Dear God help you boy, you just started another moly thread to argue....
    With moly, it is all a question of what you think. Some swear by it, some swear directly at it.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

no, not another moly debate, my question is can it be used as a replacement for traditionl lubes on cast handgun bullets. i'd never considered it before and saw a guy selling cast bullets cheap that were tumbled in moly but did not use your traditional lubes done during sizing...

Basic Member

I'm familiar with coating jacketed bullets with various dry lube powders, but can their softer relatives (bare lead) be coated as well and does it help with leading?
    Hoot
    In [b]Theory[/b], there is no difference between theory and practice. In [b]Practice[/b], there is.

82boy

I have bought lead Magtec bullets, and they are coated with something that sure looks like molly.

Tightgroups

hershey, I use to reload for my 41mag, and cast my own bullets, and your talking about the lube used in the sizing and lube die right? If so, I would stick to the waxy lube thats normally injected into the lube channels on the cast bullets. I think powdered Molly is a whole different thing, you need the recommended lube.
    When I reloaded, for my 41mag, I had to keep the speed down to below 1000fps, with out gas checks, or it would lead up the barrel. So keep as eye on this, its vary hard to get out.
    Mike.

Basic Member

yeah your on the right track, but lee has a style of mold that you do not have to size lube, you can just tumble lube and be good to go. i don't fully understand what the lube does, it seems to me that the moly would not be much different.

Uncle Jack

Over the years just about everything from bees wax to bear grease has been used to lube lead bullets. Yes, moly works just fine. Its just dirtier than most.

uj

Tightgroups

No more lube channels? well, they think of everything. The last time I lubed a bullet was in 1967. Ops its time for my nap now.