Thread: Went varmint ing yesterday and...

Jack Rustle

Went varmint ing yesterday and...

My old shooting and golfing buddy came along (he is a lifelong experienced hunter) with his 10/22. We have done this before with one hitch, this time I brought out my 204 Ruger, not a Savage but a Ruger #1 that I rebarrelled with a Ruger takeoff. To back up a little I took in trade a Savage 12FV 204 a couple years ago and it sold me on the cartridge as to its lethality and ease of finding 1/2 moa loadings. I replaced that barrel with a 22/250 fast twist barrel from McGowen and am not going back. I still have the 204 barrel and now am going to find a way to get it back on an action. Ron is convinced he needs one of these so I shall like provide him with a list of Savage Rifles that this barrel will fit. He will hunt down a Savage rifle if I can give him a list, or some idea what to look for. Is there such a thing out there? Thanks for any help.

Only thing you really need to look for is shank size, depending on what the shank size is on that .204 barrel. If its a standard shank then pretty much any savage or stevens action will do preferably a short action. If its a large shank then you will need a target action. about the only oher thing to look for is the correct bolt head but thats easy to get and change out if need be.