Thread: Lapua small primer 308

Basic Member

Lapua small primer 308

Don't know if this was already posted, but it looks interesting:

From Sinclair:

Lapua

The big news from Lapua is the introduction of their new .308 Winchester brass with the small primer pocket. A lot of reloaders and wildcatters have been looking forward to this and their will be quite a demand when it hits the shelf. Lapua is also adding the 22-250 Remington case in their line. We have been after them to make the 22-250 case for years. Not only will this be a plus for the 22-250 Remington reloaders but also for the folks wanting to use it as a parent case.

Uncle Jack

Re: Lapua small primer 308

I'm not a benchrest shooter and am not sure I understand the concept of small primers in a case the size of a .308. Enlighten me.

uj

Basic Member

I'm with you UJ. I shoot a 6x47 lapua and it doesn't have any problems igniting the powder charge with the small primers but the 308 holds a bit more powder. Some people opt to use small magnum primers to aid in ignition with the 6x47 but I haven't tried that.

I'm sure this new case will spawn some new wildcat aspirations though. How bout the "SRP 260 imp"? We could call it the "SR Pimp 260" That should work.

Tightgroups

I'm sure its more complicated than I understand, at this point in time, so ill only mention my opinion and thoughts on small rifle primers in a case the size of a 308.

The primer Mfgs do make a Sm Rifle primer in a magnum version, which may make up for its smaller size, and I dont know that a Lg rifle primer in a 308 is not more than it really needs to function well.

In cases like the BR cases,(same case head size as the 308) all use Sm rifle primers, and the flash hole is also smaller, this should propel the primers flash (fire) further into the case, than a large flash hole, with the same size primer.

And last but not least, using a Sm rifle primer in a case with a head diameter the size of a 308, or BR case for that mater, does leave more brass surrounding the primer pocket, and this may extend the life of the case, by not allowing the primer pocket to expand as quickly, become loose and shortening the case life.
    Just my thought on the subject.
    Mike.

and this may extend the life of the case, by not allowing the primer pocket to expand as quickly, become loose and shortening the case life.
    The above might be the case! I don't know, but I will wait for the exact answer!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

mountbkr

It has more to do with the ignition chamber size with the small primer. The explanation ive seen shows more complete and even distribution of the flame and expanding burn flow through the powder column with the small primer

brianinca

If that is the lame-ass excuse Remington uses for their small primer 762x39 cases, I'm going to be even LESS impressed with Remington's mediocre brass than I am now. I can just see it: "We use a small rifle primer in our premium quality 762x39 cases to ensure our run-of-the-mill mass produced barn sniper ammo is as good as we can possibly make it!"

Seriously, is this really anything other than another marketing ploy? Puh-leeze. I'm sure the placebo effect will be well worth the additional cost for the hard core bench rest crowd, but it's the WRONG CALIBER for them!?!!? What are they thinking?

Regards,
    Brian in CA

Basic Member

Lapua seems to be marching to the tune of their own drum. 82boy was telling me that Lapua doesn't make 6ppc brass and that if you want lapua brass for your ppc you have to form 220 russian brass. They don't make one of the most popular cases being shot and yet they spend the r&d $ to make a small primer 308? I don't own a 22-250 but that seems like a nice addition to the lapua line. Maybe they sell so much 220 russian brass that they've decided the shooting public is doing the hard work for them and for freeeeeeee!

Maybe this srp308 will be the next big thing and there is actually a method to their madness.

Uncle Jack

I'd like to try a 100 cases. I still don't quite understand the concept, but after 50 years of reloading I've learned a lot of things that didn't make sense in the beginning.

uj

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by river grant
    Lapua seems to be marching to the tune of their own drum. 82boy was telling me that Lapua doesn't make 6ppc brass and that if you want lapua brass for your ppc you have to form 220 russian brass. They don't make one of the most popular cases being shot and yet they spend the r&d $ to make a small primer 308?
    The PPC is a point blank benchrest round only. I doubt there are 10,000 PPC shooters world wide. The numbers in point blank BR have been on a steady decline for years. I am a new shooter in the field and 80% of shooters are in their 60s or older. It is a dying sport. On the other hand, long range shooting - in particular F-Class is the fastest going shooting sport in the world. I would easily bet there are a million plus 308s in the world, not including the military guns. You can bet your bottom dollar Lapua did the research on what the market would support before they tooled up and started mass production a piece of brass. Besides, Norma just came out with 6PPC brass this year. It appears to be good stuff.

Tim

Basic Member

Wow, that's interesting! You don't think there are more than 10k? I don't have any reason to doubt your opinion, I definitely don't shoot the ppc. I certainly agree with your assessment about lapua doing the math before they create anything new though.

Basic Member

Basic Member

...and there you have it. Thanks for the link, it makes me feel even better about my 6x47 Lapua.

js223

Short-Range Benchrest is not the purpose of this brass. Long-Range Palma shooting is the reason for it. The small primer is supposed to give more consistent velocities for the .308 (according to some test data I've seen referenced) which would result in less vertical variance in POI at 1000 yards.

Basic Member

I use small primer brass for my wife's 45 ACP bolt gun. I use Remington 6.5's for 45 ACP and 9mm loads and 7.5's for 223's. I have plenty of CCI 41's as well a Wolf SR Magnum but because I can get Reminton pretty regularly that is all I use anymore. The CCI's and Wolf are for emergencies if I run out of everything else.

Everything I reload uses small primers now so I don't have a problem with inventory anymore.

Dolomite