Thread: Anyone used 80 gr Barnes 243 Tipped TSX bullets on Hogs

TechHunter

Anyone used 80 gr Barnes 243 Tipped TSX bullets on Hogs

Am planning a spring time hog hunt in Central Florida and would like to use my son's 243. I am looking for advice on the reliability of those Barnes Tipped TSX bullets, as I have never used them before. Mind you, I've shot hogs before, but always using bigger and heavier cartridge/bullets, such as 30-06 and 7mm-08. My concern is that hogs are known to be tough animals and the TSX bullets only have a sectional density of .194, although the company advertises '99-100% weight retention ". If I drive that bullet up to 31 - 3200 FPS out of my son's short barrel, do you think I would run the risk of wounding a hog in the 200 lb range without killing it? I know someone posted a thread about using Barnes 80 gr 243 bullets with excellent results on deer "out to three hundred yards" and also mentioned that the bullet is capable of breaking both shoulders. Anyone shares the same experience on tougher game animals, such as hogs?

Thanks!!

Re: Anyone used 80 gr Barnes 243 Tipped TSX bullets on Hogs

Try it and find out. If you make a good shot and don't kill him immediately, then he'll probably run back in the brush and die. Then you won't have to touch the smelly, flea infested, brucellosis infected varmint.

Feral pigs are invasive nonnative critters that at least deserve an attempt at eradication. They have gotten completely out of hand here in Texas. Do what you can to keep that from happenning in your home state.

[img width=600 height=400]http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo194/dlfrosch/pigcart.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo194/dlfrosch/pigpile.jpg[/img]
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Sorry about going off on a rant...

The TTSX's are made for expansion and penetration. Can't think of a better ballistic test medium than a 200 pound pig... well, maybe a 300 pound pig. ;D

Good luck,
    Dana

TechHunter

Thanks for the input! I've lost wounded game before and believe me when I tell you that it has killed all the fun and excitement of the hunt. I am also looking forward to my son enjoying the hunt while learning to use his rifle...I guess I will have to back him up with my rifle and make sure the critter drops. Yes, Barnes are good, solid bullets with excellent penetration, but I took a look at one out of a box I bought from Midsouth and it looks so small compared with .308 150 gr or even 7mm 120 gr that I thought I'd better ask someone who has used them successfully before I use them.

George.

CRaTxn

If your .243 Barnes X bullet retains 95% of its 80grs = 76 grs and if your old 7/08 140gr conventional bullet retains 60% = 84 grs (84-76=8gr) . Now the 7/08 wound channel will be somewhat larger say on aver 150% terminal expansion .284x150%= .430 while the 80 gr .243x150= .360 (.430-.360=.070) or approx1/16th" Got all that ? It is shot placement ; not all this BS ! If your young son isn't afraid of the scope cutting his eyebrow with a beginner's poor gun mount in a stressful hunting situation...then he will be more likely to stay in the gun and followthrough i.e. not fffflinch and pull the shot off. The 8grs / 1/16th" / X!X KO differences are BS. I have killed 3 black bears with the .243 and if you are off a little the Barnes Xs generally penetrate the complete animal providing a ragged EXIT wound that does not seal up as easily as an entrance wound. That means you as a non Bushman can track the blood trail to the critter or in the case a feral hog maybe not .Take a pic and let it rot for the coyotes. Oh, and don't worry about loading the velocity up to 3200fps ; you are not going to kill large hogs with hydrostatic shock unless you head shoot them. For shoulder / spine shots...penetration kills (if shot placement is correct) If your son is nervous have him dry fire on some critters first and then whack em.

TechHunter

Yep...that sounds about right... my math skills compare well to the average around my neck of the woods :D ... I was just looking for some imput from someone with actual experience using that particular bullet given that, sometimes , mathematical calculations and theory are not proven accurate on the field. Not long ago one of or members here on the blog posted a reply about using Barnes 243 TSX bullets on deer out to three hundered yards. My guess is that inside 100 yds, that bullet will do the job adecuately on thicker skinned game.
    Thanks again!!. ;D

Basic Member

Nosler also makes a 90gr E-tip that is lead free. I want to try that myself. So far none of my rifles like the TSX loads, factory, or mine.

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=140

The Etips are gilding metal and not 100% copper. I do not read anything in the load data that suggests the .050" offset that the Barnes' bullets require.

TechHunter

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    I do not read anything in the load data that suggests the .050" offset that the Barnes' bullets require.
    What do you mean by "the .050" offset that the Barnes' bullets require" ? Do I need to follow any special loading procedures when reloading using Barnes bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by TechHunter
    Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    I do not read anything in the load data that suggests the .050" offset that the Barnes' bullets require.
    What do you mean by "the .050" offset that the Barnes' bullets require" ? Do I need to follow any special loading procedures when reloading using Barnes bullets?
    Barnes recommends loading their bullets at least .050" from the lands.

Team Savage

I have been using mostly barnes tipped bullets for hogs every since they came out. I like them better
    than the non tipped bullets.

So far I have used barnes tipped bullets in 338, 7mm, and 6.8 spc.
    All I can say is they are devistating on game.
    They blow right through. Real sledge hammers.

The 338 usually drops them in their tracks. Also used a 375 ruger 270 gr non tipped for a while.

With the 6.8 SPC the hot ticket is either 85 grain non tipped, which has less SD than a 80 gr 243 bullet, or the 110 tipped bullet.

The 85 gr 6.8 barnes bullet at around 3000 fps will fully penetrate a 200+# hog. Some guys over at the 6.8 spc forum tested them. May not exit but it will fully penetrate so I would guess the 80 gr 6mm bullet will work fine.

Most hogs my dad and I have shot in the body with the smaller lighter barnes tipped bullets, will run about 15-20 yards and keel over dead.

I plan to load some 80 grainers up for my dads browning 243 BLR.

As far as reloading, you have to make sure to use data for that bullet only.
    The tipped bullets are long.
    I made that mistake once and ran very high pressures, until I figured out what I did.

If you want, let me know what powder you want to use and I will run it through quickload.

CRaTxn

In layman terms , the Barnes Xs are semi-solids. They are homogenous copper so they do mushroom but they don't obturate to fix the lands and grooves as easily as a conventional bullet with a lead ( read comparatively soft ) core. That little .050 jump vs. jammed into the rifling serves to keep your initial pressure spike within safe parameters by building up some enertia before the bullet obturates. Kind of like a pulling guard usually opens a bigger hole for the running back than the on side tackle lined up nose to nose. It is getting pretty deep, I better get my ..nose outta here. Great bullets for big game and they kill on a factor of a caliber or two greater than their conventional bullet counterparts. Moly coating them will help keep your pressures down or get David Tubb's company to Boron them for I think a nickle apiece with much less mess.

TechHunter

Quote Originally Posted by tammons

If you want, let me know what powder you want to use and I will run it through quickload.
    Thanks to all of you for your valuable input. As far as powder, I have two: Rel 15 and Win 760. Those are the only ones available at my local dealer (they have not had Varget in stock in months)

Thanks a million!!!

hickhall

my nephew took this hog from 75 yds with a model 25 223 62gr tsx dropped in her tracks clean pass through both shoulders

[img width=600 height=394]http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy23/hickhall/Karsonandpig.jpg[/img]

Good shot above!

Put the bullet in the right place and the hog will drop!

I don't know what range your shooting, (most are not over 150yds) but with a 243, you can use a 55gr bullet right behind the eye and drop them!

I use 55gr and 70gr NBT's with NO problem! Just put them in the right place!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]