Thread: Tender lovin care

Edwards

Tender lovin care

After I let the last stanless .308 slip through my fingers at a local pawn shop....NEVER AGAIN....or until my wife finds out.
    Just picked up a 116 stainless in .270..better yet...my first long action and a good price.

So, I pulled the stock off and it needs cleaning. Lite to little rust on the bottom of the action...no pitting. Steel wool? What do i use?

No i get to start figuring out what to make it. Suggestions?

Basic Member
    Don't use steel wool on stainless because it will embed particles of steel and would tend to cause rust. Try some Flitz metal polish or a fine (gray colored) scotchbrite pad and some gun oil. It is a stainless receiver correct?

Edwards
    Stainless all around...my first stainless.

Basic Member
    I've had good luck removing light surface rust with just oil on a patch. The oil on scotchbright sounds good for more stubborn rust.

Basic Member
    I've heard Frog Lube works great to revolve rust, and lube-protect. Got some on order!

I'd probably start with a soft rag and some kroil or penetrating oil and get more aggressive if it didn't come off.
    Just be careful if you use a scotch brite. They will remove metal and leave very fine scratches. They are actually just the ticket to remove laser etching like the logo on a Savage bolt. I have also used them by placing them on top of a sponge on the floor and spinning a barrel on em to remove pretty decent scratches from the dish on a crown or two.
    I'd leave it a .270 and work up a load. You may be very surprised at how accurate and powerful the good ol .270 is.The 116 is an awesome shooting machine and I have one in particular in 30-06 that is stupid accurate.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.