Thread: Piece of advice for barrel changers (Not Savage) Please read this first.

Basic Member

Piece of advice for barrel changers (Not Savage) Please read this first.

Almost all barrels on bolt guns (except for Savage) are Loctited into place. I know Remington uses RED Loctite (and A lot of it). You have to melt the glue to get the barrel to come off (unless you are just a real badass with a crowbar). You will need the action and barrel to reach temperature:

"Here it is from the horses mouth. The Loctite corp..

Q: How can I remove a fastener that is "permanently" locked in?

A: The application of heat is needed to remove a fastener that can't be removed with a hand tool. Temperatures of 325F and above is needed to break down a standard anaerobic, 500F for high temperature Anaerobics. A heat gun or propane torch is commonly used to do this process, and careful disassembly should occur while parts are still hot. Once apart, and cooled, use methylene chloride (Chisel #79040) to remove cured excess material. Always wipe down the fasteners with clean up solvent to remove the wax film that Chisel leaves on the surface.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...al-t73050.html

I would have guessed 300°F to 400°F. I had to disassemble a number of parts after a screw up, most would break free just as the Loctite was melting. The remainder of the Loctite was a powder."
    Last edited by thomae; 05-22-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Please don't SHOUT in your title.

Bobby Bailey
    So far, The only barrel I've had come through the shop with loctite on the threads was done by another gunsmith and not the factory. Some are tight enough to need a relief cut on the lathe, but the vast majority come off with the proper wrench and vice.
    Bobby

Basic Member
    The last Remington 700 I pulled was loaded with Red Loctite and I think if you do some web searches you will find that Red Loctite in Remington 700's is extremely common...

Why the crap anyone would put Loctite on a barrel is beyond me... Almost no torque is required...

Bobby Bailey
    Some may have it ,but I've not run into it. I just pulled one from a rifle the customer bought last year and it had clean threads.
    Bobby