Thread: COL issue

Hoodlum

COL issue

I have been working up a good load for my model 10fcp .308.....It is the Dicks Sporting Goods rifle with the fluted 22" heavy barrel with 1/10 twist... I done a measurement to the lands with a sierra 150gr hpbt match, and a nosler 168gr hpbt match....I am getting repetitive measurements of 2.795 on both... Now the issue... The load data gives a col measurement of 2.800 which would jam me .005 in the lands... I have a howa .308 that measures 2.890 to the lands... Is this common to this barrel or do I have headspace issues?
    Hoodlum

Basic Member
    It's very common for rifles to have different COLs and to use different amounts of powder. That's why they say "work up a load" for that rifle.

Regards, Keith

stangfish
    I find that unusual for a savage reamer. I do have a PC barrel that is very short but I don't think it is that short.

That does sound a bit odd for a savage, though I'm not familiar with that model.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Not sure if this helps or adds more mystery, BUT, we recently bought a Savage Predator Model 10 in 6.5 Creemoor for the wife, when loading 140g Sierra bullets, no problem with the recommended COAL, but when loading the Nosler 140g BTHP, if you go buy Noslers recommended COAL, the bullets are jambed pretty hard into the lands. Cant remember the specs off hand right now, but will get back with more info if you wish.

Again I'm not familiar with these weapons but I do load 6.5 for my 284 Norma so I'm assuming they are similar in some respects. Being a high BC bullet in general, I notice many of my loads approach or are compressed near optimal loads meaning the bullet often seats longer than SAAMI specs. Even in my gun I often have problems feeling where the throat leade to lands actually is because of (I think) the comparatively longish tapered shape of the bullet.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]